More progress on building the body for the 1932 Indy car replica

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More progress on building the body for the 1932 Indy car replica

I continue to spend about one 3-day session a month at Pro Shaper in Charlton, Mass. making the aluminum body for the Indy car replica. The cockpit area is done and bolted to the chassis. The hood and side panels are mostly done but the hood needs the bulge for the carbs welded in and the leather straps to hold the hood down. The tail section is coming slowly as a lot of surface tuning needs to be done after welding the 10 sections together and the top and bottom edges need to be trimmed. The seating area needs a little more metal shaping, welding, riveting, and finishing before welding to the tail. However, just for fun, I put the tail section on the chassis to see how it all looked. The blue Dykem on the tail is to pick up high and low spots for dolly-and-hammer work. The grille just came back from the plating shop (Librandi's in Harrisburg, PA) looking gorgeous. The engine is being worked on, should be done in October.

I had a visitor today: Mike Cleary from California, owner of the blue #18 car. Mike restored his car about 40 years ago. It's still being raced in vintage events by his son, Jamie.

Here are some photos of the car and of Mike and me. It's starting to look like a car. That woman behind me is Larkina, the service manager in my garage. Alas, she's only a mannequin, but my wife doesn't get jealous of her.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Indy car front 092419.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	88.6 KB
ID:	1803887

Name:	Indy car rear 092419.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	82.6 KB
ID:	1803888

Name:	Indy car with Mike Cleary & Gary Ash 092419.jpg
Views:	293
Size:	96.0 KB
ID:	1803886

Gary Ash
    Dartmouth, Mass.

'32 Indy car replica (in progress)
    ’41 Commander Land Cruiser
    '48 M5
    '65 Wagonaire Commander
    '63 Wagonaire Standard
    web site at http://www.studegarage.com

Most awesome!
    Soldier on!
    HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Absolutely fabulous!
      Joe Roberts
      '61 R1 Champ
      '65 Cruiser
      Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

That is looking very exciting! It is beginning to give back to you some of those feelings that made you set off on this noble journey! I cannot wait to see the final product!
        Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

Gary:
          I have tried to keep up with your progress on this amazing project. I'm really excited to see these pictures and the dream about to come true so I know you must be feeling a real rush when you look at what you have accomplished so far. Thanks for sharing the adventure with the rest of us.
          NIck

Comment

I've met Larkina, nice girl, kinda quiet. Jane has no reason to be jealous. I think.....
            Chip
            '63 Cruiser
            '57 Packard wagon
            '61 Lark Regal 4 dr wagon
            '50 Commander 4 dr sedan

Comment

Very nice , A inspiration to all of us , Ed

Comment

Gary —- Very nice. I sure enjoyed talking with you about this project in Mansfield.

One of the things I like to do when someone else posts pictures of cars and projects is to look in the background to check out what special tools they might have. I see a planishing hammer and English wheel and other stuff.

What jumps out at me is your high-tech tree stump.

1. Not many guys even know why the stump is in your shop

2. Not many guys know how to use a stump. I, for one, have never been brave enough to start whacking away with that big mallet

3. If you are using that stump the way I think you are, good for you.

Tom

Comment

Gary , Are you going to Paint it or polish it ? Either way it will look great , Ed

Comment

Well, I hope she is not offended, but I missed Larkina by looking ant the car!
                    Ron Dame
                    '63 Champ

Comment

Gary, I'm very impressed with your work. I recall sitting with you in the snack bar at one of the York swap meets and you shared your project notebook with your meticulous drawings & notes. I stumbled across this forum in 2008. Were you already working on this project back then? It seems that from the first time I encountered you name...(probably here on the forum) you were working on this project. I thought the six years I spent restoring my '48 Business Coupe was a long term project. Of course, I was not building from scratch. I admire not only your skills, but your tenacity as well. I always look forward to your progress reports.
                      John Clary
                      Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Originally posted by jclary View Post
                        I recall sitting with you in the snack bar at one of the York swap meets and you shared your project notebook with your meticulous drawings & notes. I stumbled across this forum in 2008. Were you already working on this project back then? It seems that from the first time I encountered you name...(probably here on the forum) you were working on this project.
                        At least since that time. https://forum.studebakerdriversclub....ident+roadster

Mr. Ash is proof that dreams can come true with some sweat equity.

An older gentleman in this area handbuilt this from scratch: https://www.flickr.com/photos/daveseven/3097181106

Craig
                        Last edited by 8E45E; 09-28-2019, 03:04 PM.

Comment

Gary, when this is done - you will be the coolest kid on the block. You know that, don't you?
                          The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

If only I were a "kid"...
                            Gary Ash
                            Dartmouth, Mass.

'32 Indy car replica (in progress)
                            ’41 Commander Land Cruiser
                            '48 M5
                            '65 Wagonaire Commander
                            '63 Wagonaire Standard
                            web site at http://www.studegarage.com

Comment

Has the sale of such a similar car for over a million dollars changed your image of your car?
                              Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

Working...
                              X