Restore Speedster #7160047

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Restore Speedster #7160047

Finally getting around to working on this Speedster. I purchased it about 4 years ago as an uncompleted project from a gentleman who had serious health issues and could no longer continue. He had been trying to sell it for quite some time , but no takers. By the time I became aware of it, many of the more desirable parts such as driver front fender, hood, trunk, dash overlay, trim etc had been sold off. I believe I now have most of the missing parts.
    I plan on doing a concours restore, however my skill set and budget may not allow that to happen. Today, I removed the seats a gave it a thorough cleaning. I also started an inventory of the parts.
    A cursory inspection reveals that the front floor pans have been replaced. The rest of the body looks to be original with minimal repair needed. Given that this car was delivered to Oakland, that makes sense.
    I knew I would need a complete interior and have already placed an order with Rene Harger.
    My next step is to remove the body from the chassis and then off to the blasters .
    I will post some pictures in the morning and plan on updates as I progress.
    As I have questions, I will make a new post so that they can be searched.
    78 Avanti RQB 2792
    64 Avanti R1 R5408
    63 Avanti R1 R4551
    63 Avanti R1 R2281
    62 GT Hawk V15949
    56 GH 6032504
    56 GH 6032588
    55 Speedster 7160047
    55 Speedster 7165279

It is a South Bend assembled car and not a Vernon (LA) assembled car.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Henry, we need pictures!
      Paul
      Winston-Salem, NC
      Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
      Check out my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/r1lark

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
        It is a South Bend assembled car and not a Vernon (LA) assembled car.
        Yes, it is from South Bend. You would think that a car shipped to Oakland would be from Vernon. Maybe Vernon could not keep up. It is an early car - assembled on 2/17/55.
        78 Avanti RQB 2792
        64 Avanti R1 R5408
        63 Avanti R1 R4551
        63 Avanti R1 R2281
        62 GT Hawk V15949
        56 GH 6032504
        56 GH 6032588
        55 Speedster 7160047
        55 Speedster 7165279

Comment

Originally posted by 64studeavanti View Post
          Finally getting around to working on this Speedster.
          I knew I would need a complete interior and have already placed an order with Rene Harger.
          My next step is to remove the body from the chassis and then off to the blasters .
          I will post some pictures in the morning and plan on updates as I progress.
          I'm looking forward to seeing your progress on your project. What is the color combination?

Craig

Comment

According to production order, it was Pimlico grey, Congo ivory with red carpet. I plan on having it painted as original.
            Service sticker shows last service at 26,071. Unable to determine actual milage as it did not come with instruments. Title shows exempt.
            78 Avanti RQB 2792
            64 Avanti R1 R5408
            63 Avanti R1 R4551
            63 Avanti R1 R2281
            62 GT Hawk V15949
            56 GH 6032504
            56 GH 6032588
            55 Speedster 7160047
            55 Speedster 7165279

Comment

Originally posted by 64studeavanti View Post
              According to production order, it was Pimlico grey, Congo ivory with red carpet. I plan on having it painted as original.
              Very nice! It is very similar to this Speedster in Post 62 here: https://forum.studebakerdriversclub....nt-Speedsters=

It will look awesome when its done.

Craig

Comment

Here are some before pictures . The good news is that it starts and runs and moves forward and backward. So maybe the engine and trans are ok.
                78 Avanti RQB 2792
                64 Avanti R1 R5408
                63 Avanti R1 R4551
                63 Avanti R1 R2281
                62 GT Hawk V15949
                56 GH 6032504
                56 GH 6032588
                55 Speedster 7160047
                55 Speedster 7165279

Comment

More photos. As I posted earlier, the entire front clip was sold off by P.O. before I got to it. The only thing left was passenger fender and apron. They look to be original as the paint matches the firewall. The rear fenders look to be NOS or good used. From the date written on the rear fenders, it looks like the car was last worked on in 2007.
                  78 Avanti RQB 2792
                  64 Avanti R1 R5408
                  63 Avanti R1 R4551
                  63 Avanti R1 R2281
                  62 GT Hawk V15949
                  56 GH 6032504
                  56 GH 6032588
                  55 Speedster 7160047
                  55 Speedster 7165279

Comment

Wow, very solid car! And lots of nice shiny stuff
                    Paul
                    Winston-Salem, NC
                    Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
                    Check out my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/r1lark

Comment

Nice car, brings back fifty five years of memories with mine. Bringing your car up to concourse condition is certainly an admirable goal. I went through the process with mine throughout the 70's. In light of your novice abilities and budget constraints, I wonder if you are really prepared for the project on this level? The risk for the uninitiated is to underestimate the time and money required, and overestimating the real visual impact of removing the body from frame. The pitfalls involved in doing it this way are mind boggling. By removing the body you will be substantially increasing the number of hours required and the cost of finishing the project. Twenty hours or so of hard, dirty work would prepare the undercarriage for paint. By removing the body you will easily be adding hundreds of hours to the process.

Let me be clear, I have cars that I have done both ways. I have successfully shown all of my cars. What was true thirty years ago is doubly true today, that doing a body off restoration should be used only for the most significant cars. I have owned the eight Speedsters since 1960, and love the car, but with the softness of the car market, really good cars can be had for less then the cost of doing the restoration. If none of this strikes a cautionary cord, then go for it, good luck!

Bill

Comment

Originally posted by Hallabutt View Post
                        Nice car, brings back fifty five years of memories with mine. Bringing your car up to concourse condition is certainly an admirable goal. I went through the process with mine throughout the 70's. In light of your novice abilities and budget constraints, I wonder if you are really prepared for the project on this level? The risk for the uninitiated is to underestimate the time and money required, and overestimating the real visual impact of removing the body from frame. The pitfalls involved in doing it this way are mind boggling. By removing the body you will be substantially increasing the number of hours required and the cost of finishing the project. Twenty hours or so of hard, dirty work would prepare the undercarriage for paint. By removing the body you will easily be adding hundreds of hours to the process.

Let me be clear, I have cars that I have done both ways. I have successfully shown all of my cars. What was true thirty years ago is doubly true today, that doing a body off restoration should be used only for the most significant cars. I have owned the eight Speedsters since 1960, and love the car, but with the softness of the car market, really good cars can be had for less then the cost of doing the restoration. If none of this strikes a cautionary cord, then go for it, good luck!

Bill
                        Those thoughts ran through my mind just yesterday.
                        To me, the reason I am in the hobby is to put cars back together. I am not a collector and do not expect to recover the costs let alone make a profit. Studebakers are generally not a money making venture.

While I am not a professional restorer, I am not novice. I put myself through college as a body man/painter. That being said, the last time I painted, I used Centauri Acrylic enamel. No experience with the modern urethane or water based paint. That is why I am having my friendly painter shoot the Avanti I just completed. I can't imagine that removing the Speedster body is any worse than removing the Avanti one.

I have always been good on the mechanical aspects. The only thing that concerns me is the DG transmission.

All in all, I am playing the hand I have been dealt . I have a solid car to start with. I have collected most of the missing pieces. My friendly painter said we might be able to seal over the primer that has been done, however, he did not seem confident that was the best choice. Since we do not know what was used, we both feel that starting over is what we need to do.

I have a 1000 square foot shop with a lift, 5 hp compressor, and plenty of tools. If I want, my friendly painter said I could use his booth . I may take him up on that. It might be fun to shoot some color again.

With the difficulty of selling a project, the only way this car can live again to finish it. I do love a challenge.
                        78 Avanti RQB 2792
                        64 Avanti R1 R5408
                        63 Avanti R1 R4551
                        63 Avanti R1 R2281
                        62 GT Hawk V15949
                        56 GH 6032504
                        56 GH 6032588
                        55 Speedster 7160047
                        55 Speedster 7165279

Comment

Made some progress today. Pulled the engine. That was more difficult than I thought it should be. Since I have no experience with the DG, I followed the shop manual and pulled the engine separate from the transmission . If I had to do it again, I would pull the engine and trans together , especially since the front clip is off. Better yet, leave the engine and trans in the chassis and just remove the body. That would provide easier access.
                          78 Avanti RQB 2792
                          64 Avanti R1 R5408
                          63 Avanti R1 R4551
                          63 Avanti R1 R2281
                          62 GT Hawk V15949
                          56 GH 6032504
                          56 GH 6032588
                          55 Speedster 7160047
                          55 Speedster 7165279

Comment

I wasn't trying to impugn you ability or question your focus for the process. I am completely on board with your goal for the car. However it does seem like a common thread that travels through much of the forum, that the bottom line often holds sway. I just wanted to make you aware, but you seem to kind of know what you're doing. I have never felt that the bottom line should get in the way of a worthwhile project.

Sorry that you had to learn the hard way about engine/trans removal. Try not to worry about your DG250, they are tough as hell and usually bounce back quickly, even after long periods of inactivity. They are unique in so many ways, but are plenty serviceable, even if they are not as flexible, in some ways, as some later AT's. It would have been nice if you could have really tested it, before you pulled it.

Comment

Do not remove the body from the frame without bracing the body in the door area! the hardtops are a different animal the the coupes, the Avanti has a roll bar to keep the structure sound,hardtops need bracing in the door jam areas to keep the body aligned. Also be sure to keep record and position of all body shims both left and right, the parts book calls for 1/2" cushions, but it may vary from each body. Take into account the years, you can add more "shims" as needed as they come in 1/2" or 1/4". Too many shims will not allow the bumpers to align, ask me how I know. Body off is the way to go, you get one chance to do it right, don't miss the opportunity! Good luck with the rebuild!
                              It is an addiction!

Comment

Working...
                              X