Studebaker beats Chevy 9-6.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studebaker beats Chevy 9-6.

Writer of an opinion article in the October issue of Motor Trend is extremely impressed that the new Corvette offers 6 different seat belt colors. My parts book shows 9 seat belt colors available for 1964 Studes.

If its the 1959-64 Parts Catalog you are referencing, I believe you better check the year(s) each color belt was used. I don't have mine in front of me right now, but there were five colors, red, blue, green, brown, and black available in 1964. Those other colors, like saddle-tan, and taupe were used earlier.

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
      If its the 1959-64 Parts Catalog you are referencing, I believe you better check the year(s) each color belt was used. I don't have mine in front of me right now, but there were five colors, red, blue, green, brown, and black available in 1964. Those other colors, like saddle-tan, and taupe were used earlier.
      Craig,
      When you get your book in front of you turn to page 52. Gray, Blue, Brown, Turquoise, Red, Black shown for 62-64. Green and Maroon added for 63 & 64. Dark Green added for '64. That makes 9 for USA assembled vehicles. Saddle-tan and taupe not shown at all.

Comment

Keep in mind, seat belts were most often supplied with the cars and installed by the dealers. The factory would have had a chart with which color belts to supply with the appropriate interior color. (The Production Order usually had an 'X' after the accessory number to indicate the item was 'shipped loose')

I guess a customer in those 'pre-NHTSA' days could purchase seat belts in any color he or she wanted over the dealer's parts counter, and if they wanted maroon seat belts in their blue interior, it was entirely possible.

Craig

Comment

Working...
        X