Winter Storage Tips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Winter Storage Tips

Fall is upon us and the meadow mice will be looking for a nice cozy Studebaker to over winter in. Just read of some one who used mothballs; that'll work if you don't mind the stink or don't have a sense of smell. Now Irish Spring soap has been touted as a mouse repellant. This was a cruel hoax; the mice love the soap. They ate it! Whatever you do, do not, do not, do not ever put mouse poison in you car. The stench of there decaying little bodies will be with the car forever.
    I have had really good luck with "Fresh Cab" It was designed to keep rodents out of combine and tractor cabs over winter . The mess and the stink they can make in a combine cab is incredible. I've used this in our cars for many years. It smells great and is non-toxic; the mice stay away. I will also set up 2 bait stations in the garage.

Additional tips may be gleaned from Terry Judd's contribution to the tech tips page of the SDC web site.

"WINTER STORAGE PRESENTS HAZARDS"
    http://studebakerdriversclub.com/tech_storage.asp
    "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    sigpic'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée"

Comment

The bag says "good up to 30 days". Has this been your experience? Do you put a new one in every month?
      Thanks

Comment

It is a good idea to push a sponge ball in the tail pipe also.

Comment

If you plug up the tail pipe, you have to remember to unplug - 6 whole months later! I guess they say they are only good for a month is so you will buy lots of them. I toss in a fresh one about mid winter and it seems to keep them out.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeffry Cassel View Post
            Fall is upon us and the meadow mice will be looking for a nice cozy Studebaker to over winter in. Just read of some one who used mothballs; that'll work if you don't mind the stink or don't have a sense of smell. Now Irish Spring soap has been touted as a mouse repellant. This was a cruel hoax; the mice love the soap. They ate it! Whatever you do, do not, do not, do not ever put mouse poison in you car. The stench of there decaying little bodies will be with the car forever.
            I have had really good luck with "Fresh Cab" It was designed to keep rodents out of combine and tractor cabs over winter . The mess and the stink they can make in a combine cab is incredible. I've used this in our cars for many years. It smells great and is non-toxic; the mice stay away. I will also set up 2 bait stations in the garage.
            I also use fresh cab. I put two in the car. One in the interior and one in the trunk. Here is a piece I wrote years ago. (it is a Word document) The oil change before storage is probably the most important step. Some of this article is overkill but it works. I have been doing this in some form for over 30 years. winter storage.docx
            Attached Files
            james r pepper

Comment

If the sponge ball is size for size and pushed in gently the exhaust will blow it out.

Comment

Maybe I could tie a string to it and tie the other end to the wall of the garage?

Comment

Plastic bag and a tie-wrap around the air intake on the air cleaner if it has a neck on it. Keeps nests out of the air filter/carb.

Bowl of potassium chloride "puff ball" style (dont use regular salt) sidewalk deicer (same stuff as "damp rid", etc, but a lot cheaper) set inside a larger bowl and set on the floor mat to absorb humidity in the car. 2nd bowl to contain any overflow from the 1st bowl. A small yogurt tub set inside a empty coffee can works well for this.

flip down visors (no place for the mice to sit on while chewing holes in your headliner).

Leave glove box and any other storage compartments open. Discourages nesting spots.

Optional would be to pull up the rear seat cushion and stand it upright so there is no hidden place under there for nests and discourages them ripping into the padding.

Jeff in ND

Comment

Originally posted by altair View Post
                    If the sponge ball is size for size and pushed in gently the exhaust will blow it out.
                    A tennis ball is a perfect fit for Avanti exhaust. Ran an eye hook through each and tied them together. Can be pulled in one pull. Will also blow out with a start.
                    Mike
                    Fort Worth, TX

1964 Avanti R2 #R-4986

Comment

Working...
                    X