PSMCD races 2019 results

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PSMCD races 2019 results

Haven't seen any. Did I miss them in the new format?
    Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
    50 Champion 2 door*
    53 Commander K Auto*
    53 Commander K overdrive*
    55 President Speedster
    62 GT 4Speed*
    63 Avanti R1*
    64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

No, Don; you didn't. With this new format and a pile of things to do since returning from the event (and the SDC National Meet!), I haven't got around to posting anything here or on the Racing Studebakers site.

We had seven Studebakers competing at The 2019 Pure Stock Muscle Car Drag Race: Two R2/Powershift Avantis (Chuck/John Kern and Peter/Erik Sant), two R2/4-speed 1963 Lark Custom 2-doors (The Stude Tomato and Joe Flannery), and three 1964 Challenger 2-doors (The R3/4-speed Plain Brown Wrapper, Steve Doerschlag's R3/Powershift Silver Streak, and Rich Meadows' R4/4-speed Jet Green.)

We won't know the shootout winners for sure until the final results are published by the promoters in a couple of weeks. Here's why:

There was an unusually-strong headwind facing the racers during qualifications Friday. There was still wind Saturday during the shootouts, but not nearly so much. This meant that many racers "broke out" (ran more than .300 faster than their qualifying time) during the shootouts, which would normally disqualify them and cause them to lose their shootout.

Promoter Dan Jensen said he was going to look over the results and possibly grant a little leeway on the break-out rule this year for that reason; heavy frontal wind during qualifications. But nothing firm was established by the time I left late Saturday afternoon. In fact, there were few people left at that time, and I spoke with Dan immediately before leaving.

So here are the tentative results, subject to change (best time and speed in practice, shootout results) in no particular order:

UPDATE Saturday, September 21: I received the Official Results from Promoter Dan Jensen this morning. The .300 / 3 MPH breakout rule was extended to .400 / 4MPH for this year's race due to Friday's headwind. The results below have been updated to report the Official Results. (As you see, Team Studebaker ultimately recorded four wins and three losses at this year's event.)

Rich Meadows R4 Challenger: 15.583 / 90.82 / WON (Competitor with 1968 390/315 AMC AMX Broke Out)

Peter & Erik Sant R2 Avanti: 14.581 / 96.04 / LOST to a 1974 Pontiac Trans Am

Chuck & John Kern R2 Avanti: 13.878 / 101.24 / WON against a 1972 Dodge Demon 340

Steve Doerschlag R3 Challenger: 13.406 / 105.07 / WON, beating a 1967 Chevrolet Impala SS 427. (Trivia: During qualifications, Steve posted two back-to-back runs of exactly 13.899!)

Joe Flannery R2 Lark Custom: 14.371 / 94.00 / LOST to a 1969 Pontiac GTO

Ted Harbit R2 Lark Custom: 13.464 / 109.28 / WON, beating a 1967 Pontiac GTO

George Krem R3 Challenger: 13.260 / 109.38 / LOST to a 1970 Camaro 402/375 HP by Breaking Out.

George Krem's Plain Brown Wrapper, however, will surely be recorded as having LOST its shootout because it posted a 12.714 and 111.24 in the last shootout run, "breaking out" by more than a half-second! George had instructed Ted to go all-out on that run to try to get in the 12s, even if it meant breaking out. Obviously, Ted listened, but I doubt that any break-out rule leniency will extend to a full half-second!

Overall, a good event. Some frustrations but nobody broke anything and everyone competed in the shootouts.

A highlight toward the end was when Ted's 1963 Lark Custom, The Stude Tomato, began lifting its left front tire off the ground on the 1-2 shift! I personally saw it twice and others saw it as well a third time, so it was no fluke. I have a photo of it with air distinctly under the LF tire and if I can figure out how to post it here with this new-fangled setup, I'll do so.

Here goes nothing:

Hey, it worked!

Further, I saw it lift at least twice that high late in the day Friday! 'Gotta be quick with a camera, though, so I thank Donny Brass for sending along the above photo.

(More trivia: See that "real" Indiana Handicap license plate on The Stude Tomato? That's my father's last license plate before he quit driving maybe 15 years ago. He passed away September 6, 2017, but the plate from his 2000 Buick LeSabre lives on to amuse folks who, if they aren't frustrated enough by being beaten by an 84-year old driver, it seals the deal as soon as they notice it! )

BP
    Last edited by BobPalma; 09-21-2019, 06:15 AM.
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
    "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Sorry to be the barer of bad news, Bob...but this might be one of those glitches where you can see the pics, but I can't. Anyone besides Bob see them? Could be only my problem?
      John Clary
      Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

I dunno, John; we'll have to wait and see. It looks fine here. BP
        We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
        "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

I can see four broken photo icons on my end.

Quick question about Ted lifting tires off the ground. Does he use the regular motor mounts or does he put an bolt all the way through to keep from breaking them all the time (not that the Tomato would not have the power to break off a bolt...)

Comment

I also see broken photo icons.

Thanks for the report, Bob. Look forward to the full write up in TW.

The brick-like shape of a Lark might be strongly affected by a headwind.
            Last edited by ddub; 09-19-2019, 05:23 PM.

40 Champion 4 door*
            50 Champion 2 door*
            53 Commander K Auto*
            55 President Speedster
            62 GT 4Speed*
            63 Avanti R1*
            64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

Comment

Bob P. here is all that shows up for me...but I am imaginative, so I'll claim to have seen it, ha !

imagejpeg_0.jpg
              Hey, it worked!

Comment

I have it in my e-mail since Ted posted it and I am one of many on the list, yes it is off the ground.
                Candbstudebakers
                Castro Valley,
                California

Comment

Well, if I had any idea how to make the image appear, I'd do so.

Let's hope Clark sees this sooner or later and can offer a solution. BP

Ayn Rand:

Comment

I don't know how you are trying to upload pictures, Bob (from your computer or from a URL). I haven't figured out the camera icon (blue arrow in the screen shot below, but I have used the picture icon (red arrow)

If you click on the picture icon you get this dialog box...

If you are posting a picture that is on the internet, copy the link to that picture in the box marked URL and click OK. Your picture will appear.

If you want to post from your computer, click the UPLOAD tab on the above dialog box and this one will appear...

Click CHOOSE FILE and pick the image you want from your computer. Then click SEND IT TO THE SERVER then OK. Your image will appear.

Dick Steinkamp
                    Bellingham, WA

Comment

I still haven't figured out what the camera icon is for, but here's an even easier way to post pictures. Underneath the box where you make your post, there are some smilies. Under those are two blocks. UPLOAD ATTACHMENTS and UPLOAD FROM URL

UPLOAD ATTACHMENTS really means upload a picture from your computer. You click on it, select the picture from your computer and you get a thumbnail of the picture you selected and some size choices.

You pick the size of the picture you want and it is loaded to your post.

The block marked UPLOAD FROM URL gives you a box to enter the URL of your photo if it is already on the internet (photo album or otherwise). After entering it and clicking OK it gives you the same choices of the size for the picture you want to display.
                      Dick Steinkamp
                      Bellingham, WA

Comment

I was able to get the actual Camera Icon to work a few days ago, but the New Format is constantly "Evolving"! No longer works.
                        StudeRich
                        Second Generation Stude Driver,
                        Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Saturday, September 21: I received the Official Results from Promoter Dan Jensen this morning.

The Original Post has been updated to report the final wins and losses for Team Studebaker this year. As you see, Team Studebaker ultimately won four shootouts and lost three. (Ironically, Rich Meadows won his shootout because his competitor broke out, whereas The Plain Brown Wrapper lost its shootout because it broke out!)

See the Original Post for the updates, including which cars Studebakers competed against in the shootouts.

( I still haven't figured out the photo burp; 'waiting for Clark's help since the photo appears as it should when I open this thread. Sorry.) BP

Ayn Rand:

Comment

I'm going to try again to post the photo referenced in the OPClick image for larger version

Name:	imagejpeg_0.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	85.4 KB
ID:	1803679
                            Let me know if anyone can see it now. If not, I have no idea how to make it appear. Clark? BP

Ayn Rand:

Comment

I see it, I see it! Clearly air under left front tire.

40 Champion 4 door*
                              50 Champion 2 door*
                              53 Commander K Auto*
                              55 President Speedster
                              62 GT 4Speed*
                              63 Avanti R1*
                              64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

Comment

Working...