Mercedes and Studebaker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mercedes and Studebaker

I’ve been led to believe a story that I’d like to know is true.
    i was under the impression that in the early 50’s Studebaker entered into an agreement with Mercedes to sell their cars through their dealerships. In their exuberance Studebaker Corp used the tri star emblem on the 53 C/K models and were sued to remove the emblem. Further I was told the grill from 56 on was to emulate the grill of the Mercedes. Am I telling stories that are false?

I had a 53 C/K with the tri star and think that part is true. I don't know about the grill though.

Comment

mercedes did sue Studebaker over the tri-Star.
      sigpicSee you in the future as I write about our past

Comment

The Studebaker-Packard and their distribution of Mercedes Benz in North America arrangement didn't start until 1957; well before the early 1953 models with the Tri-Star emblems. It was a mutual agreement where Studebaker agreed to cease and desist using it. I don't believe Mercedes Benz tried, or even threatened to sue Studebaker over the emblem.

Craig

Comment

The Hawk grills look like a mb grill. Others had similar grills though. Along about then they did sell the mb in the studie dealers so they may have had mb blessings on that.
          Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

I don’t want to perpetuate a myth. I have read that the deal was penned in 57. I wonder how far back their relationship goes?

Comment

Originally posted by t walgamuth View Post
              The Hawk grills look like a mb grill. Others had similar grills though. Along about then they did sell the mb in the studie dealers so they may have had mb blessings on that.
              I still insist Studebaker had that grille design first. When the 1956 Hawks first came out, the non-sports M-B models still used a tall, upright grille. And the sports models, such as the gullwings had a low, wide opening that spanned from headlight-to-headlight, with a big three-pointed star in the center. Not until late 1959 when the W110/W111 (or 'fintail') line, which was lower in stance, came out, did it have some resemblance to a Hawk grille.

Craig

Comment

Looks like mercedes grills back to about 1925 to me.
                Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Mercedes-Studebacker1.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	147.2 KB
ID:	1804018

There is an informative blog :https://johnstraub.blogspot.com/2013...onnection.html

Walter
                  Walter

80 Fiat Spider
                  63 Lark Regal 4 Dr. sold 2015
                  60 Hawk sold 2017 in England
                  56 Golden Hawk
                  56 Corvette (John Cougar Mellencamp's C1)
                  68 Volvo P1800S
                  56 Jaguar XK 140 DHC

http://www.speak-to-doc.de/oldi/

Comment

Any inspiration for the central Hawk grille for Bob Bourke probably came from popular European sports cars such as the Jaguar XK120/130 and MGTC/TD. Mercedes-Benz, other than high-image 300SL, was selling relative handfuls of fairly expensive 180/220 sedans that hardly seemed luxurious or glamorous, many which were diesels. Other an the similar appearance of the early 1953 Tri-Star to which M-B objected, unlikely M-B had any interest in or concern with Studebaker styling.

The Studebaker-Mercedes-Benz dealership agreement was a mere convenience for each party. Studebaker got a foreign upscale brand to burnish its tarnished image given the well-known S-P debacle of 1956. Mercedes got a ready-made dealership organization to widen their market coverage, with infrastructure and personnel that could possibly be developed into truly first-class representatives for their conquest of the American market. Not just a few dealers continued with M-B after Studebaker had fallen by the wayside. By the advent of the 1970's, the tone and image of their dealerships had been considerably elevated.

Steve

Comment

Working...
                    X