Tri-Star emblem in 53

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tri-Star emblem in 53

I have read that all Vernon produced 53s had the Tri-Star emblem. We have cut off numbers for South Bend produced cars. I am aware of a Vernon produced 53 Commander Starliner with the modified V8 emblem. Its serial number is within 400 of the end of Vernon produced cars so perhaps they ran out of Tri-Stars near the end of production. Anyone else come across this?
    Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
    50 Champion 2 door*
    53 Commander K Auto*
    53 Commander K overdrive*
    55 President Speedster
    62 GT 4Speed*
    63 Avanti R1*
    64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

Serial number breakdown here----> https://forum.studebakerdriversclub....rial)-numbers=

Craig

Comment

Interesting that one list is by SN and the other by body number. The car in question is SN 8836477 body #15141. Can anyone tell when it was built? Not interested enough to order the production order from the museum.

40 Champion 4 door*
      50 Champion 2 door*
      53 Commander K Auto*
      55 President Speedster
      62 GT 4Speed*
      63 Avanti R1*
      64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

Comment

Ironically I was searching this very thing. Did Mercedes Benz take Studebaker to court over the tri star emblem?
        It was my understanding that Studebaker and Mercedes entered an agreement in the early 50’s to sell Mercedes cars through their dealerships. I thought the grills on 56 and forward were derived from the Mercedes. Am I wrong?

Comment

Read the Post Linked here by Craig in Post #2, it tells the whole "Mercedes" Story.

The '62 Lark Grille shows THE MOST Mercedes influence, not much was actually "Copied", except the Avanti Dovetail Door Locks.
          Attached Files
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by ddub View Post
            Interesting that one list is by SN and the other by body number. The car in question is SN 8836477 body #15141. Can anyone tell when it was built? Not interested enough to order the production order from the museum.
            That is really at the end of 1953 Commanders assembled in Vernon. Perhaps the only body panels that they could get then were the ones for South Bend production with the holes already in for the later emblems. Are you sure that the hood and deck, or at least the trim has not been changed in the past 66 years? I have seen cases of that.

Is this a factory two-tone car? If not, it should still have the C-pillar divide (Studebaker).
            Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Yes, certainly possible that it has been changed. That's why I am asking the questions. Not important but I'm curious. It is two tone.

40 Champion 4 door*
              50 Champion 2 door*
              53 Commander K Auto*
              55 President Speedster
              62 GT 4Speed*
              63 Avanti R1*
              64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

Comment

Working...