Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• t walgamuth
    replied
    If you are still active, yes, a picture or two of the super miata would be appreciated.

Tom

Leave a comment:

• Xcalibur
    replied
    StudeMichael: If you are still serious about an R-3 engined Series 1, I'd suggest watching Gullwing Motor Cars in Astoria NY (not knowing where you are, of course) since they seem to run through a number of them on a fairly regular basis and I've seen one or two there in the mid-30s fairly recently. The only things I've seen for years for less than 30k have appeared to be basket cases, and none of those were less than mid-20s. (Also, the dealer in Ft Lauderdale, Motorcar Gallery, sells a few but seems to be higher--I tried to deal with them for one at one time, unsuccessfully) Your re-engining idea would be fun and not without merit, functionally and pseudo-historically, imho. And, since the weight distribution of the stock Series 1 is about 48% front and 52% rear, the weight difference shouldn't matter much for suspension consideration. Published weight difference between the original sbc and the Stude was only about 100-120 pounds before adding the supercharger paraphernalia, of course. However, the Stevens did talk quite a bit at the time of the effort they spent working on spring-rates for the Shivvy-engined ones.

t walgamuth: Yes, speed is of great interest, but I've probably already helped this thread wander tooooo far afield the way it is, to get into the Mega-Monster, etc. Send me a pm (if this site has such a system) if you wish and I can send you pix of the Miata--unlike any other I doubt you'll soon see. We did not autocross it, though we did compete with it at another venue. I friend now has it back on the street. Thanks.
    Last edited by Xcalibur; 06-29-2013, 03:32 PM.

Leave a comment:

• t walgamuth
    replied
    Well, I see you have a need for speed! You have had some very interesting and powerful cars there! Did you ever try autocrossing the monster Miata? Prolly less likely to have autocrossed the X. Got any pictures of them?

Originally posted by Xcalibur View Post
    The thing is, t walgamuth, with the original-version sb Chevy in the X it is obviously easy/cheap to crank out enough hp to act truly silly with one. Since the Miata was mentioned, for sometime I had a nearly 500@the crank hp (dynoed) Mega-Monster Miata that weighed nearly identical to the X and it was truly a giggle!!! But, the X would be a different animal with more power because I doubt one would put the wiiiiiide tires on an X that I had on the Mega-Monster; but on the other-hand, the X has a more reasonable wheelbase. All sorts of trade-offs between the two when one gets a little more serious about power.

After I finish a number of other projects I may get around to "updating" the output in my X, just because it is so simple to do. I'd probably opt for a turn-key crate engine and set the ol' original '66 Vette 327 aside somewhere for safe keeping. I'd not bother with the added complexity and expense of the LS-series because saving weight would not be an issue. Oh well, I ramble... sorry!

Leave a comment:

• StudeMichael
    replied
    Nice Series one but $48,000.00 is too high especially since the engine would have to come out to be replaced by an R3 crate engine!

http://www.excaliburclassics.com/66excal04_13.html

Leave a comment:

• Xcalibur
    replied
    The thing is, t walgamuth, with the original-version sb Chevy in the X it is obviously easy/cheap to crank out enough hp to act truly silly with one. Since the Miata was mentioned, for sometime I had a nearly 500@the crank hp (dynoed) Mega-Monster Miata that weighed nearly identical to the X and it was truly a giggle!!! But, the X would be a different animal with more power because I doubt one would put the wiiiiiide tires on an X that I had on the Mega-Monster; but on the other-hand, the X has a more reasonable wheelbase. All sorts of trade-offs between the two when one gets a little more serious about power.

After I finish a number of other projects I may get around to "updating" the output in my X, just because it is so simple to do. I'd probably opt for a turn-key crate engine and set the ol' original '66 Vette 327 aside somewhere for safe keeping. I'd not bother with the added complexity and expense of the LS-series because saving weight would not be an issue. Oh well, I ramble... sorry!
    Last edited by Xcalibur; 06-28-2013, 05:07 PM.

Leave a comment:

• t walgamuth
    replied
    Originally posted by t walgamuth View Post
    How much do they weigh?
    I googled it and found they apparently weigh around 2400 # or about the same as a Miata. I imagine with a nice big v8 they are pretty quick, making a corvette of that era look like a garden slug.

Leave a comment:

• Swifster
    replied
    Originally posted by StudeMichael View Post
    Anyone know where an early Excalibur is for sale? I want to build a Studebaker SS with an R3 engine.
    Step up and pay the piper...

Camelot Classics

http://www.excaliburclassics.com/excals.html

Leave a comment:

• StudeMichael
    replied
    Looks fantastic! Thank you for sharing.
    Originally posted by Xcalibur View Post
    OK, StudeMichael, here it is...

Leave a comment:

• 8E45E
    replied
    Originally posted by studegary View Post
    That is whole different subject. You can probably learn a lot about them from the Turning Wheels article on them and there is likely a thread/topic already existing on the Forum where they were discussed (try searching). If not, please start a new thread/topic.
    Chris started a thread on the Larkette here: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...light=larkette

Craig

Leave a comment:

• studegary
    replied
    Originally posted by LeoH View Post
    . Lesson thread here.

What were Larkettes?
    That is whole different subject. You can probably learn a lot about them from the Turning Wheels article on them and there is likely a thread/topic already existing on the Forum where they were discussed (try searching). If not, please start a new thread/topic.

Leave a comment:

• LeoH
    replied
    That looks beautiful in black. Lesson thread here.

What were Larkettes?

Leave a comment:

• Green 53
    replied
    Gary hit it right on the head. Brooks was the banquet speaker at the International many years ago and told the story how the car was delivered to the New York auto show. Studebaker decided not to show it thus Brooks paid for a spot. A major Chevrolet dealer saw the car and offered to sell the cars if he would use Chevrolet engines and the rest is history.

Denny L

Leave a comment:

• jimmijim8
    replied
    I approve of this message.
    Originally posted by studegary View Post
    I believe that the true story is between the two.
    Studebaker contacted Brooks Stevens to build a show car. Studebaker provided the chassis. Stevens came up with a M-B look alike that was built at Stevens' facility.
    By the time that the New York Auto Show rolled around, it was too late for anything like this. Studebaker pulled the plug on showing the car. The car had already been transported to New York.
    Stevens decided to show it himself and got an out of the way single space at the show. This led to Stevens' production of Excaliburs.

Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Leave a comment:

• t walgamuth
    replied
    Originally posted by scott.rodgers View Post
    Here's another Series 1 assembly shot. Note the flipped steering pivot and other modified steering pieces:
    Now that's what I call a Boxed frame!

Leave a comment:

• stude dude
    replied
    Originally posted by Bellingham Studenut View Post

Great photo Craig!

A R2 Daytona convertible was used for that car.

The Excalibur started off as 63V37400, with engine #JTS 5557.

http://www.excalibur-automobile.de/d...bur-story1.pdf

http://www.autoquarterly.com/excalibur.html

Brooks Stevens got the inspiration from the Mercedes SSK, so he originally called it Mercebaker (having Studebaker drive train) to attract people to Studebaker's auto show display.

FYI - A fairly recent Turning Wheels also had a photo of the Madamoiselle on display at the Chicago Auto Show, with a question below it.

James

The Bell Collection
    Bellingham, WA.
    Interesting that they would have shipped a convertible since none of the production cars had the x member in the frame. there was no need for it and no room with the engine/trans pushed back so far.

Chris.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X