No announcement yet.

Studebaker SS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What I wonder about is the Excalibur trim on the side of body. The prototype said Studebaker SS on the side.
    Attached Files

Comment

Wasn't Stevens asked to remove the Studebaker logos when He asked for (and got) the separate display area at the New York show?

Comment

I wonder if that radiator shell was borrowed from a then current Mercedes sedan production car?....Looks to Me like I've seen that on one of those big four door sedans. (Stevens may have purchased it off of a wreck)

Comment

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1966-...#ht_8022wt_883

Comment

Originally posted by wcarroll@outrageous.net View Post
            The vin plate bothers me on this car, otherwise it looks like a very nice Series One Roadster.

Comment

I wonder if that radiator shell was borrowed from a then current Mercedes sedan production car?....Looks to Me like I've seen that on one of those big four door sedans. (Stevens may have purchased it off of a wreck)
              Not exactly. Per the Excalibur website, yes, the design was Mercedes-influenced. No, it was not a Mercedes part. The original was hand-made from brass and then chromed. The production cars had cast aluminum grille shells.

jack vines
              PackardV8

Comment

Here's a shot of the Series 1 being assembled.
                Attached Files
                Scott Rodgers
                Los Angeles
                SDC Member since 1989
                \'60 Lark HT
                \'63 Wagonaire
                \'66 Frankenbaker

Comment

To: scott.rodgers,----- That's a great photo. Never saw it before. It amazes Me when rare photos like this are posted....Thanks!

Comment

Look at the amount of 'setback' on that Chevy engine compared to where it would be normally located in a Studebaker..... No need for power steering in this baby! (post#37)

Comment

Sorry this post is sooooo outdated, but I just joined the site and stumbled upon this thread and feel a need to comment, as a Series 1 "X" owner.

No Jack (Vines), riding a motorcycle is NOT a good analogy, in my opinion, for driving a Series 1 Excalibur SS or SSK (no doors). I liken mine more to an overgrown go-kart--the early racing ones from the mid-60s (which I also had). The X is more constricting, physically, than a bike and if one gets the stick version X and not the automatic even more so. You gotta figure since they mounted Avanti pedals vertically because of lack of room and put a dish in the floor in front and under them, there is nearly zero wiggle-room. And, you'd be correct. However, that said, I've never found driving in traffic a problem at all, except for gawkers--always plenty. Excaliburs are quick and agile, but small, even by today's standards.

As for driving an X in less than perfect weather... well, I doubt anyone, especially today, actually drives one as "transportation." I tell anyone who asks that a Series 1 X has very little to do with automobiles as most construe such. The early Excaliburs are toys, pure and simple, but such neat and fun toys!!!
                      Last edited by Xcalibur; 06-18-2013, 10:31 PM.

Comment

How much do they weigh?
                        Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

Originally posted by scott.rodgers View Post
                          Here's a shot of the Series 1 being assembled.
                          Where was this factory?
                          Mike - Assistant Editor, Turning Wheels
                          Fort Worth, TX

1964 Avanti R2 #R-4986

Comment

Originally posted by Silverplate View Post
                            Where was this factory?
                            Milwaukee

Craig

Comment

Would you please post a picture of your car Xcalibur?

Comment

Here's another Series 1 assembly shot. Note the flipped steering pivot and other modified steering pieces:
                                Attached Files
                                Last edited by scott.rodgers; 06-19-2013, 12:07 PM.
                                Scott Rodgers
                                Los Angeles
                                SDC Member since 1989
                                \'60 Lark HT
                                \'63 Wagonaire
                                \'66 Frankenbaker

Comment

Working...
                                X