Studebaker Drivers Club?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studebaker Drivers Club?

Why do we call this club a drivers club when it seems that most of us don't drive our Studebakers?
    Rick Courtier

1956 Sky Hawk
    1905 Farm Wagon

Just moved from Houston, Texas to Dallas, Texas last weekend. Could have trailered my 62GT, but drove it instead. 250 miles, 13 gallons of gas, 1 gallon of oil(rear main seal), drove at 75mph. The only problem was that I was the slowest car on the road. Got several thumbs up, all in all, a good trip.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Rick Courtier

Why do we call this club a drivers club when it seems that most of us don't drive our Studebakers?

Rick Courtier
      That's a forthright question easily answered in 14 words, Rick:

It is known as The Studebaker Drivers Club because it was founded in 1962. A wide variety of new Studebakers were readily available. Most early members were everyday folks whose commonality was Studebaker being their vehicle of choice from the new or late-model used car/truck market.

Many had driven Studebakers their entire driving life and most assumed they'd be able to continue buying new ones and driving them as long as they wanted to drive. After all, 1962 was a good year that would have been even better had the UAW not struck once Sherwood Egbert got the ball rolling; a 100,000-car production year was within reach.

The Avanti was finally getting into full production and a performance image was being enhanced with new high-performance engines. Innovative products like the Wagonaire were coming on line. There was reason for guarded optimism as The Studebaker Drivers Club embarked on its mission of providing comaraderie among the company's more enthusiastic customers, who expected to be able to "drive a Studebaker forever."

That it didn't work out that way kind of put the organization in a bind; the name would no longer be accurate when the supply of Studebakers suddenly became finite in March 1966. Obviously, if some weren't put aside and not used up, there would be none to admire in years to come. The balance between usage and preservation became a quandry that was subject to individual opinion and interpretation...and still is 42 years later!

The country's larger Packard Club, Packard Automobile Classics, was founded in 1953, IIRC. New Packards were readily available and the huge number of "bathtub" 1948-1950 Packards that had been sold insured a good supply of late-model used ones being available as well. It's probably prophetic that they didn't name it The Packard Drivers Club or they'd be in the same boat we're in! BP
      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
      "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

I for one make it a point to drive a Studebaker to all Chapter meetings except during the winter months when there is snow and ice on the roads. When the SDC was organized most folks were using their Studebakers as daily drivers. As time went by that became less and less customary. Maybe the club should be renamed the "Studebaker Owners Club"

Frank van Doorn
        1962 GT Hawk 4 speed
        1963 Daytona Conv
        1941 Champion R-2 Rod
        Frank van Doorn
        Omaha, Ne.
        1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
        1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
        1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

Huh!!

I've not been a member of the forum for long but my view is that most of the posts in the Studebaker sections have to do with purchase, driving or repair of the cars. Fits my definition of Drivers. I think most of the posting members of this forum have at least one functional Stude the maintain or drive.

If you mean the Magazine, just pick up a copy and see what the folks are doing, seems they are errr! Driving.

Your definition would suggest that the Silverado I keep in the garage that only sees use on an infrequent basis would eliminate me from calling myself a Silverado driver.

Sorry, can't agree with your observation.

Bob[V]

, ,

Comment

Rick, I've seen the very situation you speak of. The list of excuses is incredible. Everything from "I haven't waxed it this week" to "It's buried under stacks of old newespapers and I haven't started it in ten years or so."

In spite of his rear axle trying to digest itself, I took Pete to Fresno Saturday to retrieve the parts off that doomed '63 Custom. 70 - 80MPH .... the ringing generated by the gnawed ring and pinion has a curious tone when I ease off the gas pedal a mite! If you've ever heard someone playing music on water-filled champagne glasses, that's the sound that comes to mind.
            The gamble is that I can get the Cruiser roadworthy enough to press it into daily service so I can address some of Pete's issues.
            Pete wants his Aerostar front axle conversion, his 3.73 rear axle and some fresh paint. Of course, he's still feeling pretty proud after our freeway run on Saturday. He got three honks W/thumbs up signs at 70MPH. And then there was the gal in the burger joint parking lot that probably would've done ANYthing for a ride in him![}] "Sorry Hon.[:X] I already have a wife![:I]

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
            1960 Larkvertible V8
            1958 Provincial wagon
            1953 Commander coupe
            1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Have to jump on the bandwagon here, (My excuse is, it isn't running yet) but step back and peruse the focus of this club. There are the occasional post on how to reach the 395 - 400 point goal, but 99 % are aimed at getting them running or keeping them running. Note the times that members donate parts to keep another members car running. That's a "drivers club".

San antonio TX. 53 Champion Coupe, to be brought back from the dead.
              "Of course it will fit, I have a torch"

Comment

Waited for a few post to see if I got Smoke or Fire. . .

The point is if you have a gem, Driving in heavy Florida traffic is not a wise idea as a driver, but start it up and taking around the block is a good idea for your car's sake. Your heard of shelve wear well, there is garage wear too! Now taking your driver Studebaker out more often is very wise. . . it keeps those gremins aways and it make you feel better too with all the attention that you and your car gets.

We only have meetings a few months out of the year ( few more this year then last with being the host for the State Meet) but driving your car to chapter meeting 6-8 times a year is too much for the car?
                Driving them to a local car show a few time a year is too much? Driving them to a Family get together us too much to ask? At our last chapter meeting we had 25 plus people at the meeting, I would have thought that there would have been more then 3 cars at the meeting. I was at a meeting in Omaha on a warm summer day at the Sonic and Frank and all the other chapters member drove their Studebakers. But here is Florida (not just our chapter) to see more the six is a rarity. Must be the winter that makes those Nebraskan more drivers then us fair weather Floridians. Hell at one state meet there was only 32 cars at the meet and our last meet only had 52 cars (to be fair it rained on Friday) but we had Clear skies on Saturday and Sunday.

I don't think, asking for people to drive their Studebaker to a chapter meeting with good weather and to just a few car shows an a family outting is to much to ask. . . otherwise, letting them sit until Drive Your Studebaker Day they may just want to sit in the garage and tell you to take a hike! [B)]

People who write to Turning Wheel and or the forums are not the majority of the people who have Studebakers. . . it the lurkers that don't drive their cars and there is more of them the us drivers! [:0]

Rick Courtier

1956 Sky Hawk
                1956 Transtar
                1905 Farm Wagon
                Rick Courtier

1956 Sky Hawk
                1905 Farm Wagon

Comment

Thanks to Bob Palma for the history ~ I assumed the club had been founded after production ended. Shows you how much I still have to learn!

After finding my Flight Hawk last March, I found the club online and then I found that I live halfway between 2 chapters so I joined both. Although there are always members that don't drive their Studes there are always members who do. Both groups are invaluable for knowledge and enthusiasm and so my husband and I feel blessed to have found them!

The downside of wanting to drive the Super Coop every day is that it's taking me forever to get some important things repaired or replaced. Now that the temp is dropping it's going to be a LOT easier to drive something else while I finally get to the heating system that I put off all Summer!!! And those leaks in the firewall...

Fayetteville, AR

Comment

I will throw my hat in the ring here to assure you that I love driving my Stude! From May-November I drive it every weekend and about twice a week to work...unless it is raining or there are heavy winds...hey, Iowa weather. I keep it garaged from Nov. to May, usually because of snow and Ice and worse...ROAD SALT!! I hate that stuff! I usually wait until we have had at least three good rains after winter before I pull her out just to be safe.

In fact, last thrusday I had to rely on my Lark because my daily driver Chevy had a dead battery, and my beat up work truck was so out of gas that I could not even use it to jump start the Chevy...I know, I tried. So I drove my Lark that day...and it rained. @#$&! Let it be known that was the first day it had been driven in the rain since I have purchased it. I am glad the wipers work.

Oh, well, like my wife says "its not made out of sugar!"

1963 Lark Custom, 259 V8, TT, 4 doors, 2 tone paint. Driven often, always noticed. Man I love this car!!

Comment

I drive my 61 Cahmp around town all the time. Even got a thumbs up on the freeway for a short stint. When I take my 60 convertible out it seems like I get at least one wave or thumbs up, something to that line every time & when I dont, its a bit of a disappointment! Sure I've had things go on me. Just like they do on any car. Ever notice all the cars on the side of the road, especially on weekends. Betcha all are newer than my or your Stude, so nobody is exempt from car trouble. To avoid trouble, they need to be "exercised"!!! Problems jump up when they are left for months at a time, then when you want to go to an event you've been looking forward to, guess what, yep, your smitten with the gremlin lurking under the hood or in the dash. With all the support in this forum & other related sites, there is really no reason why we should be afraid to drive our cars & show the world how really well made they were & are.

P.S. While driving in your brand x daily, try to see each day the oldest Toyota or Honda. You'll be surprized if you see one from the 70's, so all this about how dependable the foreign stuff is debateable.

60 Lark convertible
                      61 Champ
                      62 Daytona convertible
                      63 G.T. R-2,4 speed
                      63 Avanti (2)
                      66 Daytona Sport Sedan
                      59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
                      60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
                      61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
                      62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
                      62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
                      62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
                      63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
                      63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
                      64 Zip Van
                      66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
                      66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

quote:Originally posted by tutone63

I will throw my hat in the ring here to assure you that I love driving my Stude! From May-November I drive it every weekend and about twice a week to work...unless it is raining or there are heavy winds...hey, Iowa weather. I keep it garaged from Nov. to May, usually because of snow and Ice and worse...ROAD SALT!! I hate that stuff! I usually wait until we have had at least three good rains after winter before I pull her out just to be safe.

In fact, last thrusday I had to rely on my Lark because my daily driver Chevy had a dead battery, and my beat up work truck was so out of gas that I could not even use it to jump start the Chevy...I know, I tried. So I drove my Lark that day...and it rained. @#$&! Let it be known that was the first day it had been driven in the rain since I have purchased it. I am glad the wipers work.

Oh, well, like my wife says "its not made out of sugar!"

1963 Lark Custom, 259 V8, TT, 4 doors, 2 tone paint. Driven often, always noticed. Man I love this car!!
                        The only real problem with your car is the previous owner "Troy" rotten little kid never drove it, only complained about it, andd then sold it with his Uncle's wheel and tires still on it! [V]

Perfect exsample of a car being happy now that it's got a owner that appreciates it and drives it. . .

Rick (Piss off Uncle) Courtier

Rick Courtier

1956 Sky Hawk
                        1956 Transtar
                        1905 Farm Wagon
                        Rick Courtier

1956 Sky Hawk
                        1905 Farm Wagon

Comment

I'm a pretty humble guy and don't often toot my own horn (pardon the pun)but, in this context, I think its appropriate to mention that I won a "Drive It" award from the Nebraska Rod and Custom Association for regularly driving my Champion around town. Of course, you're bound to stand out driving a 1950 Champion in a town of 5000. Aside from this award, regularly driving my Champion has also done a great deal to enhance my reputation as a local eccentric[]

1950 Champion 4 Dr.
                          Holdrege NE
                          John
                          1950 Champion
                          W-3 4 Dr. Sedan
                          Holdrege NE

Comment

Don and I drove our Hawks to the State Meet in Tampa recently from the Vero Beach/Sebastian area which was a little under 200 miles each way. It was a great trip even though we had a little bit of rain. It is always good to drive your Studebaker and you really don't know your car unless you drive it.

1957 Packard Clipper
                            1958 Golden Hawk
                            1963 Daytona Convertible
                            1963 R2 Daytona
                            1963 R2 GT Hawk
                            1963 R1 Wagonaire
                            1963 R4 Avanti
                            1964 Champ
                            1966 Cruiser

Comment

Rick, I understand where you are coming from. There was a period when I rarely drove a Studebaker to Studebaker meets, mainly because of mechanical problems. Still, I always felt guilty for not driving my 2R6 to meets. I now find myself driving a Studebaker much more often, not only to meets but just as daily transportation, than I used to. I find that meets are more fun and certainly the drive to and from is much more interesting.

Today I was delivering flowers from church to some of our shut-ins and I drove the Cruiser. At one house the daughter and son-in-law of the lady I was taking flowers to were really surprised to see the Studebaker. The son-in-law, who is several years older than I am, began discussing Studebakers, come to find out he had owned several in the mid-'50s, including a '53 and '54 sedan. Somewhere down the line he also owned a Golden Hawk. The old Cruiser made it a good day in more ways than one.

Joe Roberts
                              '61 R1 Champ
                              '65 Cruiser
                              Editor of "The Down Easterner"
                              Eastern North Carolina Chapter
                              Joe Roberts
                              '61 R1 Champ
                              '65 Cruiser
                              Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

Working...
                              X