Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chris Pile
    replied
    Well, that's a neat pat on the back, but I'm betting that few recognized it as a Stude. They just liked the profile and exposed mechanicals (as Ed Roth used to say).

Chris Pile
    Midway Chapter SDC
    The Studebaker Special

Leave a comment:

• DEEPNHOCK
    replied
    And it just won the e-mail voting for 'Best Hot Rod' at Sema 2008 by Car Domain.com..........
    Jeff[8D]

http://blog.cardomain.com/blog/2008/...f-sema-20.html
    http://blog.cardomain.com/blog/2008/...e-31-stud.html

http://community.webshots.com/user/deepnhock

Leave a comment:

• Andy R.
    replied
    Just 1 inch of clearance...even 1/2" of shadow. That's all my imagination needs.

I am seriously digging those brushed Centerline smoothies, though.

Andy
    62 GT

Leave a comment:

• PlainBrownR2
    replied
    Nahhh I'm just an idea man with these items. While I do my own work on my own stuff, I just drop the bug in his ear in this instance and sits back to see what happens. [)]

Leave a comment:

• 4961Studebaker
    replied
    a supercharged go kart, now thats just madness[:0][}]

I can see it now PlainbrownR2 calling Steinkamp for his kart after the show.........

ChopStu

Leave a comment:

• PlainBrownR2
    replied
    Even better if one were really savvy they could go the Lightning route with the AC compressor, where the compressor(and system) could be used as an intercooler for a supercharger setup. These compressors as well as emissions smog pumps could also be retrofitted to any, ahem, small displacement go kart, thereby making a supercharger out of the compressor. Before getting into technical why's and the logistics of what seems like insanity, remember, an AC compressor, a turbo, a supercharger, and the electric compressor are designed with about the same purpose and functionality of a compressor, to move air from here to there..... [)]

[img=left]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/My%201950%202r5%20Studebaker%20Pickup%20with%20turbocharger/P1000137-1.jpg[/img=left]
    [img=right]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/DSC00005.jpg?t=1171153370[/img=right]
    [IMG=left]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/Ex%20Studebaker%20Plant%20Locomotive/P1000578-1.jpg[/IMG=left]

Leave a comment:

• merv
    replied
    [quote]quote:Originally posted by 4961Studebaker

[quote]Originally posted by merv

Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK

Someone 'splain to me the A/C system on this thing...
    Jeff[8D]

it looks to me that the compressor is used to power the air bags. check out the filter on the intake side.
    Hmmm. an engine driven compressor, versus an electircal. I'm no AC expert, whats the cfpm (cub ft per min) of a SADEN or even better the top psi it can build in this configuration? I've seen a compressor get a gauge to 85lbs on a clogged GM system, SLOWLY mind you.

I bet there's a pressure switch that kicks on the compressor's clutch.
    looking at the wiring that follows the pressure line.

WHO NEEDS A/C RIGHT

ChopStu
    [img]http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q14/kkad0711/IMG_5406-1.jpg[/ i don't know what the cfm is but i have seen 300 lbs. on ac systems an air tank is alot lighterand easer to maintain than batteries. i used an ac compressor for air on my wrecker years ago with a pressure switch to engage the clutch.

mervyn mundorf
    63 avanti r2 4speed
    83 avanti 20th ann
    63 gt hawk canadian
    55 speedster
    and others

Leave a comment:

• DEEPNHOCK
    replied
    Well now, THAT makes sense (to me anyways)[]
    If that's what they are using it for, then I am impressed at that use[8)]
    Wonder how long Sanden seals will last without oil?
    Jeff[8D]

[quote]quote:Originally posted by merv

Jeff[8D]

it looks to me that the compressor is used to power the air bags. check out the filter on the intake side.

Leave a comment:

• 4961Studebaker
    replied
    [quote]quote:Originally posted by merv

Jeff[8D]

Hmmm. an engine driven compressor, versus an electircal. I'm no AC expert, whats the cfpm (cub ft per min) of a SADEN or even better the top psi it can build in this configuration? I've seen a compressor get a gauge to 85lbs on a clogged GM system, SLOWLY mind you.

I bet there's a pressure switch that kicks on the compressor's clutch.
    looking at the wiring that follows the pressure line.

WHO NEEDS A/C RIGHT

ChopStu

Leave a comment:

• merv
    replied
    [quote]Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK

Jeff[8D]

mervyn mundorf
    63 avanti r2 4speed
    83 avanti 20th ann
    63 gt hawk canadian
    55 speedster
    and others

Leave a comment:

• JBOYLE
    replied
    quote:Originally posted by Dick Steinkamp
    Antique tractors to top fuel cars to Riddler Award winners. I love them all and appreciate them for what they are.

If every vehicle has to fit into some specific criteria to be appreciated, you're missing HUGE parts of a very enjoyable hobby.

Hear, Hear!

63 Avanti R1 2788
    1914 Stutz Bearcat
    (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Leave a comment:

• Sdude
    replied
    Saw this car at SEMA. I noticed the guage cluster on the dash, and sure enough it was a Stude... It was great to see a Studebaker there in any configuration.

Jon Stalnaker
    Editor, Hawk Talks
    Karel Staple Chapter SDC

Leave a comment:

• Dick Steinkamp
    replied
    quote:Originally posted by sals54

Jack, Dick, Right On. There's room in this hobby for all types and sizes. I love the big money cars. They're not my cup 'o tea, but I do love to look at em.
    Interesting point.

If I have to buy cars on my budget (and I do ), this car wouldn't be in my collection.

If I had unlimited money (), but could only own 5 cars ([V]), this car wouldn't be in my collection either.

If I had unlimited money and had a 40,000 square foot building to store them in (can you say Jay Leno?), I just might own this one.

It's all relative. If you have to visualize owning the car under your present circumstances, it limits the cars that can appeal to you. If you can enjoy the car WITHOUT that limitation, it opens up a whole new car world.

Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

Leave a comment:

• DEEPNHOCK
    replied
    Besides the lack of windows, or the desire to drive with the a/c on and the top down.......
    Look REAL close at the compressor lines and tell me how it works...
    I want to know.
    Jeff[8D]

Leave a comment:

• sals54
    replied
    Jack, Dick, Right On. There's room in this hobby for all types and sizes. I love the big money cars. They're not my cup 'o tea, but I do love to look at em. Plus, you never know where you'll get your next great idea. I've seen some very curious front suspensions on some of these super low cars. It gives me ideas on how to build mine. Great car, though.

sals54

Leave a comment:

Working...
X