SEMA '31 Stude Rod by Toyo Tires

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

quote:Originally posted by PackardV8

Show cars are an artistic ideal and built only for static display - that they are literally un-driveable is beside the point. It's like looking at Michelangelo's David and saying, "A guy with skin and hair that white and no clothes on would be useless in the quarry, he'd get too dirty and scratched up working." It's sculpture; about the look, the vision - nothing to do with a real, operable everyday car.
    So true, Jack. It's just another way to enjoy the hobby...for both the builders of these cars and those of us that get to ogle them [].

There are also STOCKERS that could be placed in the same category. Never driven, kept in a climate controlled garage, always trailered, etc. That doesn't make me appreciate them any less for what they are.

Then there are pure race cars. Never could be licensed or driven on the street, but they turn my crank BIG TIME anyway [8D].

Antique tractors to top fuel cars to Riddler Award winners. I love them all and appreciate them for what they are.

If every vehicle has to fit into some specific criteria to be appreciated, you're missing HUGE parts of a very enjoyable hobby.

Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

Comment

Jack, Dick, Right On. There's room in this hobby for all types and sizes. I love the big money cars. They're not my cup 'o tea, but I do love to look at em. Plus, you never know where you'll get your next great idea. I've seen some very curious front suspensions on some of these super low cars. It gives me ideas on how to build mine. Great car, though.

sals54
      sals54

Comment

Besides the lack of windows, or the desire to drive with the a/c on and the top down.......
        Look REAL close at the compressor lines and tell me how it works...
        I want to know.
        Jeff[8D]

HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

quote:Originally posted by sals54

Jack, Dick, Right On. There's room in this hobby for all types and sizes. I love the big money cars. They're not my cup 'o tea, but I do love to look at em.
          Interesting point.

If I have to buy cars on my budget (and I do ), this car wouldn't be in my collection.

If I had unlimited money (), but could only own 5 cars ([V]), this car wouldn't be in my collection either.

If I had unlimited money and had a 40,000 square foot building to store them in (can you say Jay Leno?), I just might own this one.

It's all relative. If you have to visualize owning the car under your present circumstances, it limits the cars that can appeal to you. If you can enjoy the car WITHOUT that limitation, it opens up a whole new car world.

Dick Steinkamp
          Bellingham, WA

Dick Steinkamp
          Bellingham, WA

Comment

Saw this car at SEMA. I noticed the guage cluster on the dash, and sure enough it was a Stude... It was great to see a Studebaker there in any configuration.

Jon Stalnaker
            Editor, Hawk Talks
            Karel Staple Chapter SDC
            Jon Stalnaker
            Karel Staple Chapter SDC

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Dick Steinkamp
              Antique tractors to top fuel cars to Riddler Award winners. I love them all and appreciate them for what they are.

If every vehicle has to fit into some specific criteria to be appreciated, you're missing HUGE parts of a very enjoyable hobby.

Hear, Hear!

63 Avanti R1 2788
              1914 Stutz Bearcat
              (George Barris replica)

Washington State
              63 Avanti R1 2788
              1914 Stutz Bearcat
              (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

[quote]Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK

Someone 'splain to me the A/C system on this thing...
                Jeff[8D]

it looks to me that the compressor is used to power the air bags. check out the filter on the intake side.

mervyn mundorf
                63 avanti r2 4speed
                83 avanti 20th ann
                63 gt hawk canadian
                55 speedster
                and others
                mervyn mundorf
                63 avanti r2 4speed
                83 avanti 20th ann
                64 gt hawk r1 4speed
                and others

Comment

[quote]quote:Originally posted by merv

Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK

Jeff[8D]

it looks to me that the compressor is used to power the air bags. check out the filter on the intake side.
                  Hmmm. an engine driven compressor, versus an electircal. I'm no AC expert, whats the cfpm (cub ft per min) of a SADEN or even better the top psi it can build in this configuration? I've seen a compressor get a gauge to 85lbs on a clogged GM system, SLOWLY mind you.

I bet there's a pressure switch that kicks on the compressor's clutch.
                  looking at the wiring that follows the pressure line.

WHO NEEDS A/C RIGHT

ChopStu
                  61 Lark

sigpic

Comment

Well now, THAT makes sense (to me anyways)[]
                    If that's what they are using it for, then I am impressed at that use[8)]
                    Wonder how long Sanden seals will last without oil?
                    Jeff[8D]

[quote]quote:Originally posted by merv

Jeff[8D]

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Comment

[quote]quote:Originally posted by 4961Studebaker

[quote]Originally posted by merv

Jeff[8D]

Hmmm. an engine driven compressor, versus an electircal. I'm no AC expert, whats the cfpm (cub ft per min) of a SADEN or even better the top psi it can build in this configuration? I've seen a compressor get a gauge to 85lbs on a clogged GM system, SLOWLY mind you.

I bet there's a pressure switch that kicks on the compressor's clutch.
                      looking at the wiring that follows the pressure line.

WHO NEEDS A/C RIGHT

ChopStu
                      [img]http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q14/kkad0711/IMG_5406-1.jpg[/ i don't know what the cfm is but i have seen 300 lbs. on ac systems an air tank is alot lighterand easer to maintain than batteries. i used an ac compressor for air on my wrecker years ago with a pressure switch to engage the clutch.

mervyn mundorf
                      63 avanti r2 4speed
                      83 avanti 20th ann
                      63 gt hawk canadian
                      55 speedster
                      and others
                      mervyn mundorf
                      63 avanti r2 4speed
                      83 avanti 20th ann
                      64 gt hawk r1 4speed
                      and others

Comment

Even better if one were really savvy they could go the Lightning route with the AC compressor, where the compressor(and system) could be used as an intercooler for a supercharger setup. These compressors as well as emissions smog pumps could also be retrofitted to any, ahem, small displacement go kart, thereby making a supercharger out of the compressor. Before getting into technical why's and the logistics of what seems like insanity, remember, an AC compressor, a turbo, a supercharger, and the electric compressor are designed with about the same purpose and functionality of a compressor, to move air from here to there..... [)]

[img=left]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/My%201950%202r5%20Studebaker%20Pickup%20with%20turbocharger/P1000137-1.jpg[/img=left]
                        [img=right]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/DSC00005.jpg?t=1171153370[/img=right]
                        [IMG=left]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/Ex%20Studebaker%20Plant%20Locomotive/P1000578-1.jpg[/IMG=left]
                        1964 Studebaker Commander R2 clone
                        1963 Studebaker Daytona Hardtop with no engine or transmission
                        1950 Studebaker 2R5 w/170 six cylinder and 3spd OD
                        1955 Studebaker Commander Hardtop w/289 and 3spd OD and Megasquirt port fuel injection(among other things)

Comment

a supercharged go kart, now thats just madness[:0][}]

I can see it now PlainbrownR2 calling Steinkamp for his kart after the show.........

ChopStu
                          61 Lark

sigpic

Comment

Nahhh I'm just an idea man with these items. While I do my own work on my own stuff, I just drop the bug in his ear in this instance and sits back to see what happens. [)]
                            1964 Studebaker Commander R2 clone
                            1963 Studebaker Daytona Hardtop with no engine or transmission
                            1950 Studebaker 2R5 w/170 six cylinder and 3spd OD
                            1955 Studebaker Commander Hardtop w/289 and 3spd OD and Megasquirt port fuel injection(among other things)

Comment

Just 1 inch of clearance...even 1/2" of shadow. That's all my imagination needs.

I am seriously digging those brushed Centerline smoothies, though.

Andy
                              62 GT
                              Andy
                              62 GT

Comment

And it just won the e-mail voting for 'Best Hot Rod' at Sema 2008 by Car Domain.com..........
                                Jeff[8D]

http://blog.cardomain.com/blog/2008/...f-sema-20.html
                                http://blog.cardomain.com/blog/2008/...e-31-stud.html

http://community.webshots.com/user/deepnhock

Jeff

Comment

Working...
                                X