Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It could only happen to me

Comical Story only could happen to me.
    I mailed off my newsletters this afternoon. Went to stop by the local little store to see if they had Coors Light on sale. Pulling in from the other driveway is a 1951 Dodge Hemi, I'm in Mabel my 49 Champion. We know each other she lives in the neighborhood belongs to the Wanderers Car Club Rat Rods and such. We actually helped to get her car on the road. Anyhow I go in while she parks no beer prices listed, we meet by the end of the aisle. She tells me she was driving by my house a week or so ago and saw an engine in the back of Gus. So she stops and looks at it her kids 8 and 10 years old are with her she tells them hey its a V 8. Well she tells our mutual friend Denise that she saw an engine in the back of Gus. She asked her if we have a new project of coarse Denise knows nothing of our new project. So I proceed to tell her all about the Golden hawk project at the end of an aisle in Food King. Two women talking cars and shop the conversation proceeds to the stains on my hands and its not grease this time its Pomegranate Juice stains. OK so I proceed to ask the clerk if they have any sales on Coors light well they don't so I don't buy any and I turn to see her walking up to the counter to purchase her Pabst Blue Ribbon 12 Pack. Two women one older one in her late twenties driving two old cars talking shop in a store buying beer it just doesn't get better than that. I thought of this afterward s and had to share this Story.

Mabel 1949 Champion
    1957 Silverhawk
    1955 Champion 4Dr.Regal
    Gus 1958 Transtar
    1955 President State
    1957 Golden Hawk
    Fresno,Ca
    Mabel 1949 Champion
    Hawk 1957 Silverhawk
    Gus 1958 Transtar
    The Prez 1955 President State
    Blu 1957 Golden Hawk
    Daisy 1954 Regal Commander Starlight Coupe
    Fresno,Ca

You two must be two of a very rare kind! [^]

StudeRich
    Studebakers Northwest
    Ferndale, WA
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Hah, sounds like 2 girls cut from a finer piece of cloth. Dare to be excellent!

Comment

I just hope your husband is aware how lucky he is to have you, Annie.

Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
        K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
        Ron Smith
        Where the heck is Lewiston, CA?
        Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
        K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
        Ron Smith
        Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

That's great Anne,
          I know there is hope for the young ladies. I have two daughters that just love Studes. I'm glad to hear the younger gal has you to help her along. A lot of the time females feel intimidated when talking about cars to a guy. Even though the younger lady knows more than the young man.

Gordon

Comment

Boy, am I'm shopping in the wrong place. At least I could over hear that conversation and relate to something. Most women, or guys wouldn't have a clue what my car even is, let alone have a sense of humor enough to haul a supercharged engine around...with a ladder hanging out sideways, too! Thanks for the story, Anne. I needed a laugh tonight. We might have to send a new Wink's t-shirt to your friend and get her on the same team. She sounds close to a conversion. [8D][8D]

Comment

Anne, you're a piece of work! I haven't said it on the forums, but I have told several Stude folks about your drive and uniqueness.
              I've related to several about how you were waiting for me to show at that Jensen Pick-n-Pull a couple years back (MAN! How time flies!) and how you were "Annie-on-the-spot" helpin' me pull parts off that 2R truck that was in there.[^]
              It would've been painful to watch my oversized carcass try to climb up into that engine compartment to loosen the radio and other under-the-hood things I wanted, but with a hop and a leap, you were sitting under the hood - asking for the tools you needed![:0][:X]
              One of these days I'll bring by a 6-pack and we can laugh about it and gossip about some of the forum members. On second thought, maybe I'd better bring a 12-pack![)]

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
              1960 Larkvertible V8
              1958 Provincial wagon
              1953 Commander coupe
              1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Anne
                Thank you for all your help over the years, It's a real joy to have you and David as my friends, I've never know any one who is so willing to drop what there doing to go help some one with there project or problems, even go looking for some one to help especially when it comes to Studebakers. Like that time two years ago when I wanted to get the rear glass out of that Commander in Kingsburg, I was procrastinating like I can do, you call me up to encouraged me to "get er done" and with that needed push off we went, (David needed the afternoon off so he stayed home to watch a rerun of 2.5 men) you with your tool kit and a half hour drive we were cutting that old rubber that was as hard as wood.[V] We free'd the glass and got some wirring for Mabel. Your help and company made a parts retrival trip fun and enjoyable. I just wanted to thank you again.[^]
                Bruce

"Red" 1951 Champion, Starlight
                "project car" 51 Champion

Comment

I'd be willing to bet that if some car guy overheard your conversation he just ducked his head and wandered off knowing you two had out classed him. Great story.

Joe Roberts
                  '61 R1 Champ
                  '65 Cruiser
                  Editor of "The Down Easterner"
                  Eastern North Carolina Chapter
                  Joe Roberts
                  '61 R1 Champ
                  '65 Cruiser
                  Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

A great story and I hope Coors Light goes on sale soon!

Niantic, CT
                    1963 Avanti R2524
                    "Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional." author unknown

Comment

Working...
                    X