This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

quote:Originally posted by Mr.Biggs

Yes, there WERE 64 Daytona 4doors. With either a 6 or an 8. Body tag should read 64S-Y8

Miscreant adrift in
    the BerStuda Triangle!!

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe

Thanks Bob, the catalogue didn't mention that as it only had photos of the hardtop and convertible Daytonas.

John Clements
    Avantilover, your South Australian Studebaker lover!!!
    Lockleys South Australia
    John Clements
    Christchurch, New Zealand

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Mr.Biggs

Yes, there WERE 64 Daytona 4doors. With either a 6 or an 8. Body tag should read 64S-Y8

Miscreant adrift in
      the BerStuda Triangle!!

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
      1960 Larkvertible V8
      1958 Provincial wagon
      1953 Commander coupe

Thanks Bob, the catalogue didn't mention that as it only had photos of the hardtop and convertible Daytonas.

John Clements
      Avantilover, your South Australian Studebaker lover!!!
      Lockleys South Australia
      John Clements
      Christchurch, New Zealand

Comment

Dick,
        I studied the shop manual and it looks like they recommend removing the front brake assembly, removing the upper control arm inner shaft to crossmember retaining bolts, loosening the bushing capscrews and pulling the upper control member away from the crossmember. Then you lower the jack under the lower control arm to remove tension from the spring. It sounds like your method was easier. Did you have to remove any other components to have enough movement to remove the springs (other than the shocks)? Is there any more risk of the spring flying out at me with your method? Did you use a spring compressor?

Thanks
        todd

63 Lark 2dr Sedan
        64 Daytona 4dr Sedan

Comment

Dick,
          I studied the shop manual and it looks like they recommend removing the front brake assembly, removing the upper control arm inner shaft to crossmember retaining bolts, loosening the bushing capscrews and pulling the upper control member away from the crossmember. Then you lower the jack under the lower control arm to remove tension from the spring. It sounds like your method was easier. Did you have to remove any other components to have enough movement to remove the springs (other than the shocks)? Is there any more risk of the spring flying out at me with your method? Did you use a spring compressor?

Thanks
          todd

63 Lark 2dr Sedan
          64 Daytona 4dr Sedan

Comment

quote:Originally posted by tstclr

Dick,

Thanks
            todd
            Todd,
            I've done it both ways, and prefer the way I outlined...seemed to come apart and go together easier (for me). In either case, you'd have to remove the anti sway bar from the lower control arm also. Both methods have "risks" and you should follow all standard safety precautions relative to supporting the car, securing the spring, etc.

I'm about 1/10th the mechanic that many that post here are. Hopefully Mr. Biggs, Dwain G., and many others more experienced than I am can throw in their 2 cents.

Dick Steinkamp
            Bellingham, WA

Comment

quote:Originally posted by tstclr

Dick,

Thanks
              todd
              Todd,
              I've done it both ways, and prefer the way I outlined...seemed to come apart and go together easier (for me). In either case, you'd have to remove the anti sway bar from the lower control arm also. Both methods have "risks" and you should follow all standard safety precautions relative to supporting the car, securing the spring, etc.

I'm about 1/10th the mechanic that many that post here are. Hopefully Mr. Biggs, Dwain G., and many others more experienced than I am can throw in their 2 cents.

Dick Steinkamp
              Bellingham, WA

Comment

Working...
              X