Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• barnlark
    replied
    Clunk, what I meant was to burn the clouds in to give them more detail. Since it's not an enlarger in my basement anymore, I've had to embrace new terminology. If I had my D1x I would have thrown on a polarizing filter and maybe the harsh reflections and sky would have been better. Ansel Adams used to wait months to get the correct lighting situation and finish the zones later; that's why he was, whom he was.

Leave a comment:

• studeclunker
    replied
    I dunno, I rather liked it. Why photoshop out the clouds, they give the sky interest. Yeah, the detail is washed out by shadow, who cares? The car is still beautiful. The picture has kind of a dreamy aspect to it. I'd be glad to have it framed on the wall.[^]

Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
    K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
    Ron Smith
    Where the heck is Lewiston, CA?

Leave a comment:

• barnlark
    replied
    Thanks gentlemen. You both deserve a cover car soon.

Leave a comment:

• bams50
    replied
    Just got mine and wanted to add my congrats too, Dave! My goal is to someday have a car worthy of a cover... then I'll have to figure out how to take a picture of it[:I]

First thing I thought of when I saw that cover: Some movies where, when the heroine sees the hero for the first time, he smiles- and the light reflects off his perfect white teeth

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
    Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Leave a comment:

• Bill Pressler
    replied
    Dave, was out-of-town this week and just came home to my TW. GREAT cover shot, and GREAT car! (Positive photo of Cleveland is a good thing, too!)

Bill Pressler
    Kent, OH
    '63 Lark Daytona Skytop R1

Leave a comment:

• monomaniac
    replied
    No Sweat Barnlark. We will likely CONTINUE to have photo contests
    at all times of the year.

Leave a comment:

• barnlark
    replied
    Right on all counts, Art. I couldn't get high enough of an angle to shoot it correctly. I would like to shoot that location with the sun behind the camera some day to light the car properly. It was not meant to be posted as an example of anything other than a favorite of mine. I just wish I could have given you a better quality shot. The shortcomings are mine, not your choices. Please don't take it any other way. This has been inspirational to come up with a unique composition by April 30th. We don't even get leaves out on the trees around here by that date anymore!
    Again, thank you, Art. I have always respected your eye and editorial labors.

Leave a comment:

• studegary
    replied
    The picture above looks more like it should be on a brochure for Cleveland than on TW. I thnk the picture on TW was a much better choice.

Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Leave a comment:

• monomaniac
    replied
    I can't resist to do a mild critique of this photo above.
    Dave, please take this as constructive.
    I see 3 things in this photo (just offhand) that might be worrisome.
    1. The horizon line is awkward relative to the car.
    2. All detail on the car is lost because of lighting.
    3. Three different subjects are vying for attention and, if asked what the subject of this photo is, I might be tempted to say:
    "Leaves"

It's still a dramatic photo but those three things come to my
    attention.

Leave a comment:

• barnlark
    replied
    Well, it wasn't much of a surprise, but got my TW today. Art had asked in Lancaster if he could use one of the pics I sent in for an illustration concerning a photo contest. Bad morning sun angle from 1 o'clock as you look at it (it rained hard 4 hours after that, so I couldn't use the better afternoon sun) and kind of a boring, stock angle, but I love that view from up there on the west side, so I'm very proud to have it on a front cover. No need to have apologized in that article, though, Art. I find something wrong in every picture I take that I should have seen when I shot it and that one is no exception. I should have photoshopped the clouds at least, to get more detail, as well as use my other good camera with my SB-800 flash for fill. That trip was a last minute thought and I just now got my good camera back from the factory...that was just a coolpix.
    Thanks for using it, it's an honor & I promise to enter a different car for the contest. BTW, this is the one I thought you were going to use because in my mind it was a little different from the norm, even if the horizon wasn't as high over the car; can't you see Turning Wheels printed up there in the tree leaves? ...but now I see why you used the other. Thank you, Art and Ann.[8D]

[img][/img]

Leave a comment:

• rockinhawk
    replied
    I am planning on driving the 58 to the next meeting.(definately not a cover truck) Loaded down with camping gear. Some of us are going to camp out Fri. night. Every one is invited to join us. Motorhomes,campers and tents are welcome. On the banks of the Altamaha between Hazlehurst and Uvalda Georgia At Towns Bluff Park and Herritage center.

Neil Thornton
    Hazlehurst, GA
    '57 Silver Hawk
    '56 Sky Hawk
    '51 2R16 dump truck
    Many others.

Leave a comment:

• mbstude
    replied
    quote:Originally posted by rockinhawk

It is a great and wonderful honor to have a car on the cover of TW. While I have never had a currently owned car featured I am the previous owner of 2 recent cover cars. since Matthew has become my publicity agent he has gotten his truck,which I once owned, on the back of May,07,and my son's 51 starlight,which I once owned, on the front of Aug, 08. The cars are not mine any more but I helped. The boy made me proud. NT

Neil Thornton
    Drive the '57 Hawk to the chapter meeting. If ya want, I'll get up early that Saturday and detail the car. We'll have a little photoshoot by the river.

Matthew Burnette
    Hazlehurst, GA

Leave a comment:

• rockinhawk
    replied
    The top frame is still pretty much in tact, I think! you can email me at nthornton1@earthlink.net. NT

Neil Thornton
    Hazlehurst, GA
    '57 Silver Hawk
    '56 Sky Hawk
    '51 2R16 dump truck
    Many others.

Leave a comment:

• barnlark
    replied
    Looking for a couple top frame parts. Is it still in the car? We can talk off forum.

Leave a comment:

• rockinhawk
    replied
    Barnlark, There's not much left of that old car. The vulchers have pretty well picked it clean. If there is somthing special you need let me know and I will check it out. NT

Neil Thornton
    Hazlehurst, GA
    '57 Silver Hawk
    '56 Sky Hawk
    '51 2R16 dump truck
    Many others.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X