Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• looking for a 65 or 66 commmander

I HOpe I have the body style right
    a my girlfriend had one years ago ( i forget if it was a lark or commander....[?]
    (please forgive me i am new to studebakers....[B)]
    I put a 230 (gm chevy)^ in the car (20 years ago)
    to replace the siezed one)the car was a two door post car automatic pwr steering) dark blue light blue interior,
    Great girl great car (was her grandmas.)
    both gone....I have a chey ^ and transmission. needs a home.
    2 door or 4 door wagon?
    (my wife likes the 65 66 style..)
    thanks again Dave

quote:Originally posted by daverd

I HOpe I have the body style right
    a my girlfriend had one years ago ( i forget if it was a lark or commander....[?]
    (please forgive me i am new to studebakers....[B)]
    to replace the siezed one)the car was a two door post car automatic pwr steering) dark blue light blue interior,
    Great girl great car (was her grandmas.)
    both gone....I have a chey ^ and transmission. needs a home.
    2 door or 4 door wagon?
    (my wife likes the 65 66 style..)
    thanks again Dave
    Hi, Dave. It sounds like you have a good memory if it's been 20 years and you aren't a Studebaker enthusiast!

The LARK name wasn't used after 1964, so a 1965 or 1966 2-door "post" would be either a Commander or a Daytona Sport Sedan. There were no true 2-door hardtops (no post) in 1965 or 1966.

The easiest exterior difference to remember for easy identification, is that all 1965s had four headlights and all 1966s had two.

All were "Chevrolet" powered; GM McKinnon Industries engines, to be correct, but they were "Chevy" in design and application. If you have a 194 or 230 six or 283 V-8 of that vintage lying around, you'll have no trouble using it in a 1965 or 1966 Studebaker. Do try to find a six car if you have a six to install, and vise-versa. It will save changing over some things to the other engine configuration...but it can be done fairly easily if need be.

Yes, a 4-door wagon was available both years, with or without a sliding roof in the rear. No 2-door wagons were made after 1961.

This is a good place to hopefully find one as they become available from time to time. We'll see if anyone posts an available one. Cheers and welcome aboard. [8D]Bob Palma
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
    "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

I have one, in deep south Texas, need paint and interior work, all most rust free, a little rust through in the trunk floor. If you pick it up $600.00. Has a good engine 194 and is a 65 Az. 4 door sedan. Commander.

Ebon...
      [img][/img]

"I sweat to keep others cool"

Comment

Thanks
        Very much to Bob
        for the correct information
        Dave

Comment

I have a nice 64 commander 4dr you can drive home for $1,400. I can send pic if interested. Thanks Mike

M.hopinfox/Kennesaw,Ga.
          63 Champ (connie)
          64 Commander(commando)
          64 Hawk (nite rider)
          65 Daytona (rustie)

Comment

There is a pair of 65's advertised near Hickory,NC for $800.ad says take two and build one.Steve
            sigpic

Comment

quote:Originally posted by daverd

to replace the siezed one)
              Was the seized engine also a 230? If so, it would be a 1966 model.

Craig

Comment

quote:Originally posted by wolfie

There is a pair of 65's advertised near Hickory,NC for $800.ad says take two and build one.Steve
                Advertised where ?.....Either one a 2 door ?

1961 Hawk 4BC,4-SPEED,TT

Ken Byrd
                Lewisville,NC
                sigpic
                1961 Hawk ...4-Speed;4bc;Twin Traction

Ken Byrd
                Lewisville,NC

Comment

I like the 1966 2 dr Commanders and own one myself. Be advised though that only about 800 of the 2drs were made in 1966 and they are difficult to find in decent shape. Apparently the aluminized "rust proofing" didn't work exactly as expected.
                  My 66 now has a Chevy 250 straight six. Looks exactly like the 194/230 but it has lots more power and doesn't slow up with the A/C on..

Comment

Working...
                  X