Why cant I see some links?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why cant I see some links?

Many times in a post, there is a link that says "tinyurl" in it. Every time I try to click on one, I just get an empty page. What exactly does the tinyurl mean, and why wont it work for me?

tinyurl is a link to a website (www.tinyurl.com) that allows one to take a huge long web address and shrink it to a tiny one.
    If you can't access the link, it is because you have something set on your computer that does not allow it to 'see' the website.
    People that use 'tinyurl' in their post's do so as a courtesy to forum readers.
    Getting a huge url address to copy properly can be a pita.
    Good question that deserves a good answer.
    Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by jeryst

Many times in a post, there is a link that says "tinyurl" in it. Every time I try to click on one, I just get an empty page. What exactly does the tinyurl mean, and why wont it work for me?
    HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

That's what happens sometimes with those "tiny URLs". Also, making them is a big time waster for those of us on dial-up. I've never had a problem with making a link- right-click on the URL, hit copy, go to your post, hit paste, done. Always works fine. Plus, the complete URL gives the viewer an idea of what's in the link without having to open it; and that's a courtesy to those on dial-up.

The only reason I can see to fiddle with tiny URL is for those who don't enable the "link wrapper" in their browser; they have to scroll side-to-side to read a thread. That's easily cured by enabling the link wrapper; most of the better browsers have that already enabled. If you use Mozilla or the like, you have to go in and manually enable it. You only have to do it once, then you're set.

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
      Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

The problem is, I really dont know what to change on my computer to allow the tinyurls to work.

I agree that it seems like a waste of time when all you have to do is cut and past the actual link. That way all errors are eliminated. Seems like the tinyurl is more work and pretty much useless. I've also never seen it on any of the other forums I frequent.

Comment

Working...
        X