This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dodge bed on a champ?

A buddy of mine bought a '62 Champ pickup this spring. I've noticed the beds never seemed to match the cabs and he said Studebaker bought the beds from Dodge because of economics. Is that so? Considering the body lines on the bed stick out like a sore thumb, I can believe it.

You are correct that the wide T-cab beds are identical to those used by Dodge. However, they were not purchased from Dodge -- they were purchased from Budd, who had previously made the beds for Dodge. Dodge was going to restyle their beds and had no further use for this design. Stude wanted a slab-sided bed for its new Champ trucks, but couldn't afford to tool up for an entirely new bed.

Skip Lackie
    Skip Lackie

Comment

You are correct that the wide T-cab beds are identical to those used by Dodge. However, they were not purchased from Dodge -- they were purchased from Budd, who had previously made the beds for Dodge. Dodge was going to restyle their beds and had no further use for this design. Stude wanted a slab-sided bed for its new Champ trucks, but couldn't afford to tool up for an entirely new bed.

Skip Lackie
      Skip Lackie

Comment

I think this is also the same mold that IH used in the early '60's too. If the "Dodge" bed had been narrowed by 6 inches it would have made all the difference in the world.

Guido Salvage - "Where rust is beautiful"

Studebaker horse drawn buggy; 1946 M-16 fire truck; 1948 M-16 grain truck; 1949 2R16A grain truck; 1949 2R17A fire truck; 1950 2R5 pickup; 1952 2R17A grain truck; 1952 Packard 200 4 door; 1955 E-38 grain truck; 1957 3E-40 flatbed; 1961 6E-28 grain truck; 1962 7E-13D 4x4 rack truck; 1962 7E-7 Champ pickup; 1962 GT Hawk 4 speed; 1963 8E-28 flatbed; 1964 Avanti R2 4 speed; 1964 Cruiser and various other "treasures".

Hiding and preserving Studebakers in Richmond, Goochland & Louisa, Va.
        Join me in removing narcissists, trolls, self annoited "experts" and general idiots via the Ignore button.

The official SDC Forum heel nipper ���

�Middle age is when your broad mind and narrow waist begin to change places.� E. Joseph Cossman

For every mile of road, there are 2 miles of ditch. ���

"All lies matter - fight the kleptocracy"

Comment

I think this is also the same mold that IH used in the early '60's too. If the "Dodge" bed had been narrowed by 6 inches it would have made all the difference in the world.

Guido Salvage - "Where rust is beautiful"

Studebaker horse drawn buggy; 1946 M-16 fire truck; 1948 M-16 grain truck; 1949 2R16A grain truck; 1949 2R17A fire truck; 1950 2R5 pickup; 1952 2R17A grain truck; 1952 Packard 200 4 door; 1955 E-38 grain truck; 1957 3E-40 flatbed; 1961 6E-28 grain truck; 1962 7E-13D 4x4 rack truck; 1962 7E-7 Champ pickup; 1962 GT Hawk 4 speed; 1963 8E-28 flatbed; 1964 Avanti R2 4 speed; 1964 Cruiser and various other "treasures".

Hiding and preserving Studebakers in Richmond, Goochland & Louisa, Va.
          Join me in removing narcissists, trolls, self annoited "experts" and general idiots via the Ignore button.

The official SDC Forum heel nipper ���

�Middle age is when your broad mind and narrow waist begin to change places.� E. Joseph Cossman

For every mile of road, there are 2 miles of ditch. ���

"All lies matter - fight the kleptocracy"

Comment

Gary, I've seen ALOT of IH trucks in wrecking yards here and I don't recall ever being struck by the realization that they used the same ex-Dodge bed that the Champs did.

BTW, Dodge gave Studebaker to use the bed provided they would allow repair parts to be supplied to Dodge as they were needed.

Miscreant adrift in
            the BerStuda Triangle!!

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
            1960 Larkvertible V8
            1958 Provincial wagon
            1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Gary, I've seen ALOT of IH trucks in wrecking yards here and I don't recall ever being struck by the realization that they used the same ex-Dodge bed that the Champs did.

BTW, Dodge gave Studebaker to use the bed provided they would allow repair parts to be supplied to Dodge as they were needed.

Miscreant adrift in
              the BerStuda Triangle!!

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
              1960 Larkvertible V8
              1958 Provincial wagon
              1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

I know the beds are too wide for the Champ, but I still prefer the looks of the LONG, wide bed, to that of the old-style Studebaker bed. The SHORT, wide bed, on the other hand!.....

I actually think that, except for width, the styling of the Studebaker cab actually matches the Dodge bed better than the Dodge cab that had been used with that bed. I'm talking feature lines, shape and contour of wheel openings, etc.

Bill Pressler
                Kent, OH
                Bill Pressler
                Kent, OH
                (formerly Greenville, PA)
                Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
                Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
                1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
                1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
                All are in Australia now

Comment

I know the beds are too wide for the Champ, but I still prefer the looks of the LONG, wide bed, to that of the old-style Studebaker bed. The SHORT, wide bed, on the other hand!.....

I actually think that, except for width, the styling of the Studebaker cab actually matches the Dodge bed better than the Dodge cab that had been used with that bed. I'm talking feature lines, shape and contour of wheel openings, etc.

Bill Pressler
                  Kent, OH
                  Bill Pressler
                  Kent, OH
                  (formerly Greenville, PA)
                  Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
                  Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
                  1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
                  1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
                  All are in Australia now

Comment

I'm with you, Bill. I don't think it's such a bad marriage. I sorta LIKE the old bed on a Champ as well, but the later one (to my eye) is more fitting in the sense that it makes a total departure from the (then) aging C-cab design. And you can (if you want) make it LOOK even more integrated by using 62-3 Lark beltline mouldings on the front fenders, the doors and even the back cab corner (by using the tail end of 62 Lark station wagon rear quarter mouldings) and then running 2-door mouldings down the side of the bed, just above the bedside crease line. It really looks snazzy like that!

Miscreant adrift in
                    the BerStuda Triangle!!

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                    1960 Larkvertible V8
                    1958 Provincial wagon
                    1953 Commander coupe

Comment

I'm with you, Bill. I don't think it's such a bad marriage. I sorta LIKE the old bed on a Champ as well, but the later one (to my eye) is more fitting in the sense that it makes a total departure from the (then) aging C-cab design. And you can (if you want) make it LOOK even more integrated by using 62-3 Lark beltline mouldings on the front fenders, the doors and even the back cab corner (by using the tail end of 62 Lark station wagon rear quarter mouldings) and then running 2-door mouldings down the side of the bed, just above the bedside crease line. It really looks snazzy like that!

Miscreant adrift in
                      the BerStuda Triangle!!

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                      1960 Larkvertible V8
                      1958 Provincial wagon
                      1953 Commander coupe

Comment

I can answer the question as to whether the IH beds were the same as the P2 beds. No, they were not. I own a '67 Binder 1/2 ton and the bed, while similar in appearance, is not the same and is actually a bit heavier guage than the "dodge" bed. I originally didn't like the P2 beds at all. And while I still prefer the P1, the wide bed has grown on me. I guess that comes with living with one as my daily transportation

steve blake
                        http://tinyurl.com/kr3gt
                        http://tinyurl.com/l7oqh
                        steve blake...roaming the Texas Panhandle in my trusty Champ pickup

Comment

I can answer the question as to whether the IH beds were the same as the P2 beds. No, they were not. I own a '67 Binder 1/2 ton and the bed, while similar in appearance, is not the same and is actually a bit heavier guage than the "dodge" bed. I originally didn't like the P2 beds at all. And while I still prefer the P1, the wide bed has grown on me. I guess that comes with living with one as my daily transportation

steve blake
                          http://tinyurl.com/l7oqh
                          steve blake...roaming the Texas Panhandle in my trusty Champ pickup

Comment

I seem to remember someone once telling me that they wanted a wide bed Champ. He had the Champ, but a narrow bed, of course. Thinking they were 'the same' He found a Dodge ('cause he couldn't find a decent Stude) and soon found that the Dodge was short by several inches~ maybe they aren't exactly 'the same'... [:0] [V] [B)]
                            Anyone know if this is fact or fiction??? I never saw the actual bed in question, nor can I remember if it was a short or long bed.

StudeDave [8D]
                            V/P San Diego County SDC
                            San Diego, Ca

'54 Commander 4dr 'Ruby'
                            '57 Parkview (it's a 2dr wagon...) 'Betsy'
                            '57 Commander 2dr 'Baby'
                            '57 Champion 2dr 'Jewel'
                            '58 Packard sedan 'Cleo'
                            '65 Cruiser 'Sweet Pea'
                            StudeDave '57
                            US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
                            SDC Member since 1985

past President
                            Whatcom County Chapter SDC
                            San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
                            San Diego Chapter SDC
                            North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

I seem to remember someone once telling me that they wanted a wide bed Champ. He had the Champ, but a narrow bed, of course. Thinking they were 'the same' He found a Dodge ('cause he couldn't find a decent Stude) and soon found that the Dodge was short by several inches~ maybe they aren't exactly 'the same'... [:0] [V] [B)]
                              Anyone know if this is fact or fiction??? I never saw the actual bed in question, nor can I remember if it was a short or long bed.

StudeDave [8D]
                              V/P San Diego County SDC
                              San Diego, Ca

'54 Commander 4dr 'Ruby'
                              '57 Parkview (it's a 2dr wagon...) 'Betsy'
                              '57 Commander 2dr 'Baby'
                              '57 Champion 2dr 'Jewel'
                              '58 Packard sedan 'Cleo'
                              '65 Cruiser 'Sweet Pea'
                              StudeDave '57
                              US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver