Valve Cover Racers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Valve Cover Racers

Just confirmed. Get your valve cover (Studebaker of course) dusted off or build one and bring it to Cedar Rapids. We will have a 40 ft. track with electronics. This has Christmas tree type starting lights. You have a start button to push and that will lower your starting gate. If you leave early you will "Red Light" and be disqualified. It also has a WIN light which will light in the winners lane and a timer to give elapsed times to 1/1000 of a second for both lanes.
    Rules: I'm sure that there are rules but right now all I know is max weight is 10 pounds. More later

Great idea. As I have a pair of weathered 65-66 valve covers on the wall and an extra set of finned aluminum Stude covers I'm going to try my hand at building one!

Here's a couple similar takes on "rules":

Probably a good idea to set the rules for the IM races and publish them here and in Turning Wheels.

If the SDC wanted to develop/adopt a set of "official" SDC valve cover racing rules I could make a permanent page on the website.

BShaw,Webmaster

webmaster@studebakerdriversclub.com
    Woodbury, Minnesota
    sigpic
    Bob Shaw
    Rush City, Minnesota
    1960 Hawk - www.northstarstudebakers.com
    "The farther I go, the behinder I get."

Comment

I'm wondering what quailifies as a Studebaker valve cover?

I have a 1956 Golden Hawk, so can I use Packard V-8 Valve covers?

What about Chevy-Baker valve covers or '61-'64 6-cylinder covers?

Comment

"Never Get Into A Box You Have To Think Outside Of" Jeff Rice

quote:Originally posted by fstst56

I'm wondering what quailifies as a Studebaker valve cover?
        I have a 1956 Golden Hawk, so can I use Packard V-8 Valve covers?
        What about Chevy-Baker valve covers or '61-'64 6-cylinder covers?
        http://community.webshots.com/user/deepnhock
        HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Yes, I was thinking about those too!

Afterall, they are "valve covers"

Comment

I haven't seen any rocker cover race trophies![:0][}]
            Brad Johnson,
            SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
            Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
            '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
            '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

quote:Originally posted by 52trucks

Just confirmed. Get your valve cover (Studebaker of course) dusted off or build one and bring it to Cedar Rapids. We will have a 40 ft. track with electronics. This has Christmas tree type starting lights. You have a start button to push and that will lower your starting gate. If you leave early you will "Red Light" and be disqualified. It also has a WIN light which will light in the winners lane and a timer to give elapsed times to 1/1000 of a second for both lanes.
              Rules: I'm sure that there are rules but right now all I know is max weight is 10 pounds. More later
              It is my understanding that some of the first to come up with Studebaker Valve Cover racing were the folks with the North Carolina Chapter. You might want to consult with them. They have been doing this at their Tri-State Meet for about 10 years or so. Jack White is the President of that Chapter and has been instrumental in this event at Tri-State.

Joe Roberts
              '61 R1 Champ
              '65 Cruiser
              Editor of "The Down Easterner"
              Eastern North Carolina Chapter
              Joe Roberts
              '61 R1 Champ
              '65 Cruiser
              Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

That sounds like a really high tech track!I watched the races at the tri-state meet this year.Everyone seemed to be having a blast.Good luck with yours,wish i could see it in person but it just aint in the cards.Steve
                sigpic

Comment

I think it would be a good idea to also have a High School race off. Invite as many of the local high schools to participate in a special race for a champ trophy.

Studebaker valve covers only of course. Great exposure to a whole new set of eyes to the Studebaker brand. The more exposure to the general public the better. All those young people will have 30s/40s something parents. Fresh faces fresh blood, new members.

Comment

I hope Karkiewicz fills his bus with valve covers.... now if someone has wheels to sell at the meet, they can all get rich!

duane miller

Comment

Jeff I like your covers, I trying to build a cover racer. Hope I can get it to the race. If it's like my projects of late, will not be completed in time. LOL

Ebon...

"I sweat alot to keep others cool"

Comment

Working...
                      X