Reedsville PA. 2008 swap meet next week

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reedsville PA. 2008 swap meet next week

Just wanted to post a reminder that the Reedsville all Studebaker swap meet will be held on Nov 7th through Nov 9 at the Mifflin County youth park in Reedsville PA which is 3 miles North of Lewistown PA.
    I have been going to this swap meet since the early 80's and have always enjoyed the scenic drive, the beauty of the central PA area and the great people that show up at this meet. (most of it is indoors BTW)
    Max Corkins usually hosts an open house Friday evenings at his restoration shop in Lewistown (sometimes with his band playing) Good accomodations are generally easy to find, there is great food available (even Amish style nearby) and if you want more active nightlife State College is only about 30 minute drive. THis is a fun meet and I hope to meet many of you Studebaker fans there.

quote:Originally posted by dlagrua

Max Corkins usually hosts an open house Friday evenings at his restoration shop in Lewistown (sometimes with his band playing)
    Are there directions to his shop?
    Is this open to the general public or is it by invitation only
    ?

[img=left]http://farm1.static.flickr.com/158/360197307_8639ee4a46_m.jpg[/img=left]
    ~Nitram~
    57 Transtar

Comment

It's by invitation... and by hearing about it, you're invited!!

Seriously, Max is a great guy! I really love his shop- a cluttery, old-school building with tons of Stude stuff and plenty of projects in various stages to check out. It's a must- just a little tricky to find[B)] I'm sure somebody will post the actual address before long.

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
      Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

Its not very hard to find , at least from the Quality Hotel but what is kind of hard is finding your way back ! Those one way streets there going at all sorts of angles can sure screw you up at night . I think it took me about 5 years before I got the hang of it .
        I remember the 1st time I left there we were lost for hours...never did figure out were we ended up

[IMG]Home of the Fried Green Tomato
        "IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ
        1964 Daytona HT
        sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

Max usually has maps showing the route to his shop available in the room with the snack bar. The strange layout and one-way streets of Lewistown do make it a challenge.

A little help:

To get to Max's from Reedsville or the motels in Burnham or Milroy, take Rt. 322E to Lewistown, and take the Walnut Street Exit. At the traffic light, turn right on Walnut St., then left onto Valley St. at the next light. Follow Valley St. to the blinking yellow light and turn right onto E. 3rd. St. You're there! Max's shop is on the right.

Leaving Max's is a little more difficult. Continue on E. 3rd St. to the second stoplight, and turn left on N. Brown St. Turn left at the next light onto E. Market St. At the next intersection, don't take the sharp left, but take the "easy" left at your 10:00 o'clock onto Valley St. Keep right and pass the yellow blinker. Turn right onto Walnut St. Cross under Rt. 322, and follow the signs for Rt. 322W, towards State College which will take you back to Burnham, Reedsville and Milroy.

I hope that this helps.

Jim Bradley
          Lewistown PA
          '64 Daytona HT "Rerun"
          Jim Bradley
          Lake Monticello, VA
          '78 Avanti II
          sigpic

Comment

Thanks, Jim. Do you have an actual street address with number? If I have that I can put it into my GPS and that will take me to and from there with no problem.

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
            Parish, central NY 13131

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

I made my motel reservations and have adjusted my travel plans to do my best to attend....(anonymously in PA of course)
              Now.. To find some long John's in the deeep south..
              Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by dlagrua

Just wanted to post a reminder that the Reedsville all Studebaker swap meet will be held on Nov 7th through Nov 9 at the Mifflin County youth park in Reedsville PA which is 3 miles North of Lewistown PA.
              <snip>
              HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Now.. To find some long John's in the deeep south..
                Jeff

Being the CASO that I am, I still have the long Johns that the Army gave me in 1978. You can have them, if that will help.

Pat Skelly
                62 GT Hawk
                53 Studillac
                37 Dictator Coupe

Comment

Bob,

I don't know the street number address. Can your GPS work to an intersection? It would be Valley St. and E. 3rd St. 17044.

I may be driving by Max's place later today. If there is a number on the building, I'll let you know.

Jim Bradley
                  Lewistown PA
                  '64 Daytona HT "Rerun"
                  Jim Bradley
                  Lake Monticello, VA
                  '78 Avanti II
                  sigpic

Comment

Thanks, Jim. The GPS keys on an actual address. But even a number within a place or two would work... I'll recognize the place when I get near it[8D]

Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

Last year, my Garmin didn't know anything about a lot of that new highway configuration near Lewistown. I got a cook's tour of a nearby neighborhood...

Bob Johnstone

http://www.studebaker-info.org
                      55 President State Sedan
                      64 GT Hawk
                      70 Avanti (R3)
                      64 GT Hawk (K7)
                      1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

Bob and Bob,

Try 225 E. 3rd St., 17044 in the GPS. It works in Mapquest. It should show the block of 3rd St. between Valley and N. Dorcas St. I can't see an actual number on Max's place, but 224 is directly across the street. The new highway configurations are over a year old now and should be updated in all of the databases now.

Jim Bradley
                        Lewistown PA
                        '64 Daytona HT "Rerun"
                        Jim Bradley
                        Lake Monticello, VA
                        '78 Avanti II
                        sigpic

Comment

Great- thanks, Jim.

Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

This is the flyer that was sent to me by a good member. Bob Johnstone. Thanks Bob for sharing.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Rerun
                              I don't know the street number address.
                              If the search is correct, I come up with:
                              Max Corkins
                              233 E. 3rd St.
                              Lewistown, PA 17044

[img=left]http://farm1.static.flickr.com/158/360197307_8639ee4a46_m.jpg[/img=left]
                              ~Nitram~
                              57 Transtar

Comment

Working...
                              X