Weigh In event at a Meet? pic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weigh In event at a Meet? pic

I have an event idea to try at some meets. Portable scales with print out of information.

While this has been done at some other venues I thought it might be an idea to try at some SDC meets. Idea came about when over on the Truck talk site when some individuals were guessing what there trucks would weigh after they made some changes. Both were surprised that there initial estimates of 3,000lbs or under were way off. Over 4100 total weight in one case. All this after changing to a Stude V-8 diffrent trans and 3/4ton axles.

This got me to thinking about an event where UPS sponsored a portable scale for participants to weigh there vehicle and receive a print out with percentages and weight at each tire. All the while thinking this could be a worthwhile idea for some of our events.

How often have you wondered how much weight that air conditioner system added, those new carpets, the power steering, new tires/wheels, Or better yet changing from a 6 to a V-8.
    How about payload for your trucks? You should know where your vehicles weight starts that way you don't exceed Gross vehicle weight capacity. Thinking about towing your vehicle? But your guessing how much it really weighs, this would be a great opportunity to know for sure.

So the idea is to see if some Hosts would be interested in contacting a private party to lend some scales, or contact the Highway Department to bring out their big truck PORTABLE scales to inform us what our Studebakers really weigh. (portable that way our stake beds/US6's can participate being the weigh so much)

There's many options to play within the main idea, Charity or Club Fundraiser possibilities.

Also to tie into the Highway Department idea (if possible or interested) Maybe a seminar to get some information on towing safety as well as applicable state and federal laws that may have changed concerning either a car dolly, or trailer and the proper equipment i.e. hitches to do so. I know we're a Drivers club but many trailer there vehicles. Just a thought.

All in all I thought it would be fun to see just what our vehicles weigh and how that effects everything from stopping to fuel mileage and handling....My votes Yea, maybe Cedar Rapids, Arizona, or do it for a couple years and then resurect the idea after some down time.

And I would think one day would cover all those who would want to participate and shouldn't tie up too many volunteers

Here's an example of the information that's possible thanks to Dick Steinkamp

ChopStu
    61 Lark

sigpic

Interesting idea. Could be very helpful for any boy racers looking to get their car balanced for road or track handling.

Chris Pile
    Midway Chapter SDC
    The Studebaker Special
    The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

As you know, I think it is a great idea, Kevin, and I think it would be a real attention getter at an International Meet.

I was surprised when I had mine weighed that it weighed as much as it did. Take off maybe 90 pounds for gas and oil, and it is still over 3100 pounds. And that's with a small block Chevy, aluminum case T-10, aluminum bell housing, no heater, tubular headers, aluminum intake, and aluminum wheels. They might have advertised Studebakers as light (Weight is the Enemy), but I wonder if they really were when compared to other similar cars of similar years.

I was also surprised that the right front was heavier than the left front and the left rear was heavier than the right rear. The big ol' steering box is on the left side, and the battery is over the right rear wheel. Didn't figure.

Front to rear balance was surprising good...but most likely due to the SBC and aluminum components. A stock '54K is most likely rather nose heavy.

Dick Steinkamp
      Bellingham, WA

Dick Steinkamp
      Bellingham, WA

Comment

A suggestion for free weighing...CASO approved!!!
        Try your local waste transfer station.
        If you go early or late (when there isn't much business) they'll weight your car...it's free at my place courtesy of the county.
        No front-rear distribution, but it gives a basic weight.

63 Avanti R1 2788
        1914 Stutz Bearcat
        (George Barris replica)

Washington State
        63 Avanti R1 2788
        1914 Stutz Bearcat
        (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

quote:Originally posted by JBOYLE

If you go early or late (when there isn't much business) they'll weight your car...it's free at my place courtesy of the county.
          Suggestion duely noted, but I'm striving more for on site club involvement, plus, these onsite scales would give more detailed information.

ChopStu
          61 Lark

sigpic

Comment

Last time I tried that, they told me they didn't take scrap cars at the landfill[:0]
            Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by JBOYLE

http://community.webshots.com/user/deepnhock
            HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Weighing in at the meet!?[:0]
              I thought you were talking about the Studebaker Truck Farmers for a minute[}][][:0]
              Jeff[8D]

HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

quote:Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK

[navy][b]Weighing in at the meet!?[:0]
                I thought you were talking about the Studebaker Truck Farmers for a minute[}][][:0]
                In my case I'd like to skip looking at the scale.[:0]
                ChopStu
                61 Lark

sigpic

Comment

Hey, Jeff
                  Say that with a smile on your face!

There are, as of today, 305 Studebaker Truck Farmers, many are normal people size, not skinny like some of you. We love our trucks, cause they carry a good sized, good-humored load.

[img=left]http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j259/stude53/studesmall2.jpg[/img=left]Bob Feaganes (stude53)
                  53 Starliner Hardtop
                  Newton Grove, NC

Comment

Jeff, I would take your SCRAP Studebaker off your hands and even pay the $25 offered in papers around here for scrap vehicles! My truck was one that started this . A m5 with homemade bed,homemade tailgate, 350SBc 700r4, 3:73 12 bolt rear. A/C , power steering and brakes, front disc. Glass fenders. I guessed at about 3000 to 3200, came up at 3720 . Than I added front chrome bumper and brackets, so 3800 is closer.

Randy Wilkin
                    1946 M5 Streetrod
                    Hillsboro,Ohio 45133
                    Randy Wilkin
                    1946 M5 Streetrod
                    Hillsboro,Ohio 45133

Comment

Working...
                    X