• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 57 Packard show-quality car is back

This is the car from a month ago:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/57-Pa...QQcmdZViewItem

Here's the previous discussion:

http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...TOPIC_ID=22056

I renew my offer to assist anyone interested in any way possible. It's 20 minutes from me, I've seen it in person, and met the seller.

If I can help, let me know. Glad to do it.

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
    Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

I'd be interested in seeing what that AM/FM Wonderbar radio looks like...

[)]

StudeDave '57 [8D]
    StudeDave '57
    US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
    SDC Member since 1985

past President
    Whatcom County Chapter SDC
    San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
    San Diego Chapter SDC
    North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

Funny, he wants more now than the first listing, where he called the interior, "the correct velour"! I emailed him about it and got no reply. This time it just says it's velour.

Chip
      '63 Cruiser daily driver
      '57 Packard wagon almost on the road!
      Chip
      '63 Cruiser
      '57 Packard wagon
      '61 Lark Regal 4 dr wagon
      '50 Commander 4 dr sedan

Comment

I saw on another site he was looking for high 20's. It is nice to see him come down on the price. Don't get me wrong it is a very nice car provided that it has the correct block and minor body work. If I was him I would take 19 or 20 and run with it. For the items that are not originally correct on the car (mainly parts of the interior) it is going to take 3 to 4 to make it a perfect car. One should consider that when selling.

58 Packard Wgn (Parade Red)
        58 Packard Wgn (Park Green)
        58 Packard Sdn (Shadowtone Red)
        62 Daytona (White)
        63 R2 Lark (Super Red)
        57 Packard Wagon parts car
        57 Packard sedan parts car
        58 Packard 2 dr hdtp parts car

Comment

I don't know if he'd come down; probably a little. He's a Corvair guy that just fell in love with the car when he saw it. After he got it home on the lift, he felt he would never be comfortable putting any miles on it due to the highly detailed condition.

He put it on the lift for me, and I saw what he meant- it's incredible, right down to the shiny washers under the bolts! It looks to have been a professional frame-off on a solid, straight car. Had to be a real labor of love. The duals sound great, and the dual antennas look really cool coming up together! He was dismayed to find out the upholstery wasn't correct; like the rest of us, he wondered why someone would go to those lengths to restore a car and not assure everything was correct! Everything else looks right, though.

He seems like a pretty good guy... I don't know why he didn't answer your e-mail, Chip; but if you're interested in the car I'm sure he'll answer all questions.

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
          Parish, central NY 13131

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

Like I said last time, DROOOOOL![][][]

If I won the lottery tomorrow, the first thing I would buy is this car. Theeeeen maybe get the ones I've got re-done.

Hey, it ended without the 19k offer being accepted. Could it be that the owner thinks the car is a 30k car with proper interior?

Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
            K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
            Ron Smith
            Where the heck is Lewiston, CA?
            Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
            K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
            Ron Smith
            Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

I think that it was bid to a fair price the first time.

Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
              Studebaker enthusiast much longer
              Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Maybe he saw that '57 Clipper wagon that went for 67k on eBay over the summer and thinks his is worth the same. It does seem to be in nearly as good a condition.

Chip
                '63 Cruiser daily driver
                '57 Packard wagon almost on the road!
                Chip
                '63 Cruiser
                '57 Packard wagon
                '61 Lark Regal 4 dr wagon
                '50 Commander 4 dr sedan

Comment

He's not looking to get rich from it; just decided it wasn't for him. He also has a car I knew previously, the first Toronado off the assembly line. It and the Packard look funny amongst his Corvairs.

He may have paid more than some think it's worth, but I guarantee you no one could duplicate it for that money. On condition and resto quality it's close to a #1 if not already- a true show car. The first thing I thought when I saw it in person was exactly what he later told me was his reason for selling- he couldn't feel comfortable driving a car that perfect anywhere. Nor could I.

Quality-wise I would put it up against anything B-J rolls across the block.

Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

You know what is funny Bob, even laughable is that if I owned that car, the first thing I would do is paint all those beautiful red shocks, silver coil springs and all the rest of those wild colors on the undercarriage back to correct stock simi-gloss BLACK!

Just like the interior, the poor guy and maybe the restorer did not know it is ALL wrong, and on a car that beautiful and close to perfect, it would drive me nuts! I could not stand to leave it that way! But I would not be afraid to drive it though. [:0]

StudeRich
                    Studebakers Northwest
                    Ferndale, WA
                    StudeRich
                    Second Generation Stude Driver,
                    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

I wouldn't know about all that, Rich; I know condition, not correctness.

But it would be fun to buy a car that's so nice I could spend my efforts on accuracy instead of restoration[:X]

Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

Working...
                      X