No announcement yet.

Were there ever any Hawk convertibles?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Were there ever any Hawk convertibles?

Just wondering if any were ever made. Anyone ever see a custom one?

Check S2DSteve's 53 in members pix. It's a beauty. Of course a custom, no production that I know of. Bob

P.S. - I know it's not a Hawk, It's pretty any way

Comment

No production convertibles between 1952 and 1960, and then only in the Lark-type cars. They did make one prototype in 1953. It was later converted to '54 specs, and eventually sold to a Studebaker employee with the agreement it would never be re-sold. It's now in a private collection in California.

Steve Hudson
      The Dalles, Oregon
      1949 "GMOBaker" 1-T Dually (workhorse)
      1953 Commander Convertible (show & go)
      1953 Champion Starliner (custom/rod project)
      1954 Champion Coupe (daily driver)
      1960 Hawk (future project?)

Steve Hudson
      The Dalles, Oregon
      1949 \"GMOBaker\" 1-T Dually (workhorse)
      1953 "Studacudallac" (project)

Comment

I remember seeing a 56 Golden Hawk convertible in Jacksonville Fla. back in the late 60's early 70's. But have no idea who it belonged to or what happened to it. Of coarse it was a custom built car. and it was a beauty! I wanted that car some kinda bad. But I settled for a oneowner Sky Hawk HT. NT

Neil Thornton
        Hazlehurst, GA
        '57 Silver Hawk
        '56 Sky Hawk
        '51 2R16 dump truck
        Many others.

Neil Thornton

Comment

No production convertibles between 1952 and 1960

You mean 53-60! Since a 52 ragtop was the Pace Car at the Indy 500 in 1952!

Jim
          "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
          their Memorials!

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Studedude

No Hawk convertibles built by the factory, but some have been home-built.

This one just caught my eye on ebay:

http://tinyurl.com/3s7nuu

(Starting to think about a winter project.) [8D]

DAVE, THE EVIL TWIN FROM OKLAHOMA
            That seller also has a decent looking '62 GT hawk for sale.Terrible job on the description on that one too,though.Might be of interest to somebody on here,looking for a GT. He's in Michigan.

Oglesby,Il.
            "Studebaker? It must be hard to find parts for those!"
            Oglesby,Il.

Comment

"You mean 53-60! Since a 52 ragtop was the Pace Car at the Indy 500 in 1952!"
              No, I mean none between 52 and 60 as in none after 52 or before 60

Steve Hudson
              The Dalles, Oregon

Steve Hudson
              The Dalles, Oregon

Comment

Coachwork shops have been in existence since before there were any cars and they have certainly made cars into convertibles that could not have come that way from the factory. Whether or not any of them are still around, I am sure there must have been some Studes that underwent such conversions.

Comment

Careful you don't get cornfoosed, Dave, that's a roadster, which means no top[B)]

I'm watching it as well, since I'll be going to SB next week, with nothing on the dolly coming back... I could make a swing up to Detroit- it's not far off my route home[]

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
                  Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

http://tinyurl.com/3s7nuu

(Starting to think about a winter project.) [8D]

DAVE, THE EVIL TWIN FROM OKLAHOMA
                    That's not a bad looking car! Is that a '55 hood? 'Course, whenever you remove a solid top, you gain a great deal of body flex[:0][B)]. And when you START with a great deal of body flex...(Stude, C/K, frame, etc.) Uh Oh.

KURTRUK
                    (read it backwards)

KURTRUK
                    (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

It looks like it started out as a '62 or '63 GT Hawk, but has a modified '55 C/K front clip, not a bad looking sunny day driver! [^]

StudeRich
                      Studebakers Northwest
                      Ferndale, WA
                      StudeRich
                      Second Generation Stude Driver,
                      Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

What's interesting is I have pics of the 53(presuming it's the same one now, lol) from the Omaha meet. I also have pics of the one as well from the May 2005 meet in SB. Here's what somebody did with this one a few years ago(this pic should take a few people back, lol):

I know many of the members have seen this one already, I thought it was kinda neat myself.... [)]

On this fine specimen the only thing Studebaker is the front sheetmetal. I love the car to death for the work put into fitting those panels, but if I remember right most to all of what's underneath is a modern chassis and modern drivetrain.

[img=left]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/My%201950%202r5%20Studebaker%20Pickup%20with%20turbocharger/P1000137-1.jpg[/img=left]
                        [img=right]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/DSC00005.jpg?t=1171153370[/img=right]
                        [IMG=left]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/Ex%20Studebaker%20Plant%20Locomotive/P1000578-1.jpg[/IMG=left]
                        1964 Studebaker Commander R2 clone
                        1963 Studebaker Daytona Hardtop with no engine or transmission
                        1950 Studebaker 2R5 w/170 six cylinder and 3spd OD
                        1955 Studebaker Commander Hardtop w/289 and 3spd OD and Megasquirt port fuel injection(among other things)

Comment

quote:On this fine specimen the only thing Studebaker is the front sheetmetal. I love the car to death for the work put into fitting those panels, but if I remember right most to all of what's underneath is a modern chassis and modern drivetrain.
                          It is the Shrock brothers Chrysler Sebring convertible converted to a Hawk.

Leonard Shepherd
                          http://leonardshepherd.com/

Comment

quote:Originally posted by S2DSteve

They did make one prototype in 1953. It was later converted to '54 specs, and eventually sold to a Studebaker employee with the agreement it would never be re-sold. It's now in a private collection in California.

Steve Hudson
                            The '53-'54 prototype convertible was sold to a South Bend banker, not "a Studebaker employee", and his daughter drove it to college.

I was under the impression that the car is now in Colorado.

Gary L.
                            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                            Studebaker enthusiast much longer
                            Gary L.
                            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

The "sold to an employee" info was in a couple of different articles, and was also relayed to me by a guy who owned the car for a time. 'Doesn't make it true of course-he also was convinced the '53 car was crushed, and they made an all-new one for '54. Maybe it was sold to an employee before going to the banker?. Anyway, I believe he was from Colorado, so that checks. He told me it went to California, and Art Unger talked to the current owner in California a couple years ago. Apparently has quite a collection, but is a bit reclusive.

Steve Hudson
                              The Dalles, Oregon

Steve Hudson
                              The Dalles, Oregon

Comment

Working...
                              X