radio

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• radio

How have any of you put in a modern cd player in a 62 hawk? I do not want to get rid of the existing radio and would like to keep the dash as is. What have you done?

Good question. I have the same problem and intend to build an under dash enclosure to hold a Clarion that will not fit in the glove box. An even bigger problem is where to put speakers without cutting. My Hawk has a speaker opening in the centre of the rear package shelf. A sound shop suggested I use only one rear speaker there and hook up either right or left. They suggested I put one front speaker in the dash under the existing Stude radio and build another into the under-dash enclosure I am devising for the stereo unit.I too would would appreciate other options.

Regards,
    John

John Esmonde
    Holland Landing, Ontario
    Canada
    '62 Hawk
    '30 Chev Coach
    sigpicJohn Esmonde
    Holland Landing, Ontario
    Canada
    \'62 Hawk
    \'60 Lark Regal Convertible
    \'30 Chev Coach

Comment

Good question. I have the same problem and intend to build an under dash enclosure to hold a Clarion that will not fit in the glove box. An even bigger problem is where to put speakers without cutting. My Hawk has a speaker opening in the centre of the rear package shelf. A sound shop suggested I use only one rear speaker there and hook up either right or left. They suggested I put one front speaker in the dash under the existing Stude radio and build another into the under-dash enclosure I am devising for the stereo unit.I too would would appreciate other options.

Regards,
      John

John Esmonde
      Holland Landing, Ontario
      Canada
      '62 Hawk
      '30 Chev Coach
      sigpicJohn Esmonde
      Holland Landing, Ontario
      Canada
      \'62 Hawk
      \'60 Lark Regal Convertible
      \'30 Chev Coach

Comment

Try the "secret stereo":

JDP
        Arnold Md.
        Studebaker On The Net

My Ebay Items

64 Daytona HT
        63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk
        63 Avanti R1/AC
        63 Lark 2 dr.
        62 Lark 2 door
        60 Lark convert
        60 Hawk
        59 4E Truck
        56 truck
        55 Starlight
        53 Starlight
        52 Starlight
        52 Starliner
        51 Commander
        JDP Maryland

Comment

Try the "secret stereo":

JDP
          Arnold Md.
          Studebaker On The Net

My Ebay Items

64 Daytona HT
          63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk
          63 Avanti R1/AC
          63 Lark 2 dr.
          62 Lark 2 door
          60 Lark convert
          60 Hawk
          59 4E Truck
          56 truck
          55 Starlight
          53 Starlight
          52 Starlight
          52 Starliner
          51 Commander
          JDP Maryland

Comment

We can convert your original radio to AM/FM Stereo with inputs for portable CD, cassette, i-pod, XM radio, etc. We also carry high quality replacement speakers that fit in the old cars including the rare 4x8 ovals used in some studebakers. See our web site

Electro-Tech, Inc. is a custom electronics shop serving the classic car and hot rod hobby specializing in classic auto radios and classic car speakers.

Comment

We can convert your original radio to AM/FM Stereo with inputs for portable CD, cassette, i-pod, XM radio, etc. We also carry high quality replacement speakers that fit in the old cars including the rare 4x8 ovals used in some studebakers. See our web site

Electro-Tech, Inc. is a custom electronics shop serving the classic car and hot rod hobby specializing in classic auto radios and classic car speakers.

Comment

There is also a ribbon speaker that flush mounts so you don't have to cut any holes.

Comment

There is also a ribbon speaker that flush mounts so you don't have to cut any holes.

Comment

I put the stereo in the glove box and used the Sony wired remote mounted unobtrusively between the bucket seats.

Dick Steinkamp
                    Bellingham, WA

Comment

I put the stereo in the glove box and used the Sony wired remote mounted unobtrusively between the bucket seats.

Dick Steinkamp
                      Bellingham, WA

Comment

Dick,

I grew up less than 5 miles from the main office of Crutchfield.

Gary

Guido Salvage - "Where rust is beautiful"

Studebaker horse drawn buggy; 1946 M-16 fire truck; 1948 M-16 grain truck; 1949 2R16A grain truck; 1949 2R17A fire truck; 1950 2R5 pickup; 1952 2R17A grain truck; 1952 Packard 200 4 door; 1955 E-38 grain truck; 1957 3E-40 flatbed; 1961 6E-28 grain truck; 1962 7E-13D 4x4 rack truck; 1962 7E-7 Champ pickup; 1962 GT Hawk 4 speed; 1963 8E-28 flatbed; 1964 Avanti R2 4 speed; 1964 Cruiser and various other "treasures".

Hiding and preserving Studebakers in Richmond, Goochland & Louisa, Va.

Comment

Dick,

I grew up less than 5 miles from the main office of Crutchfield.

Gary

Guido Salvage - "Where rust is beautiful"

Studebaker horse drawn buggy; 1946 M-16 fire truck; 1948 M-16 grain truck; 1949 2R16A grain truck; 1949 2R17A fire truck; 1950 2R5 pickup; 1952 2R17A grain truck; 1952 Packard 200 4 door; 1955 E-38 grain truck; 1957 3E-40 flatbed; 1961 6E-28 grain truck; 1962 7E-13D 4x4 rack truck; 1962 7E-7 Champ pickup; 1962 GT Hawk 4 speed; 1963 8E-28 flatbed; 1964 Avanti R2 4 speed; 1964 Cruiser and various other "treasures".

Hiding and preserving Studebakers in Richmond, Goochland & Louisa, Va.

Comment

We recently got an original radio for our 1950 Studebaker off ebay, it currently doesn't work, tubes glow etc. but no sound at all. I checked the speaker, and it worked, so I wired in one of these (that my Aunt gave me) to use for now! http://www.spectraintl.com/xsp/SB2603.html It works very well, and I even wrapped a wire around its antenna and attached it to the car antenna which helps alot, but it cannot maintain a signal while driving, yet does okay sitting still.

Comment

We recently got an original radio for our 1950 Studebaker off ebay, it currently doesn't work, tubes glow etc. but no sound at all. I checked the speaker, and it worked, so I wired in one of these (that my Aunt gave me) to use for now! http://www.spectraintl.com/xsp/SB2603.html It works very well, and I even wrapped a wire around its antenna and attached it to the car antenna which helps alot, but it cannot maintain a signal while driving, yet does okay sitting still.

Comment

Working...
                              X