No announcement yet.

radio

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My '61 Lark Cruiser already had an after-market AM-FM cassette in place when I got it, but no antenna, and just that one original speaker that came with the original AM radio, plus two after-market 4-6 speakers hidden on the front kick panels, almost underneath the dash. They're either not hooked up, or blown, since they don't work. I took it in to a car audio place to have them check it out for putting in a modern stereo, since the old radio is gone, anyway. I've got the original AM radio that came with my '51 Champion, but the seller said it doesn't work. I'll try to pursuade my father, who used to mess around a lot with old radios and TVs, to try and fix it, so I can keep that car as original as possible.

pitbulllady

Comment

I spend this last weekend installing my system in the 64 hawk. I have install the CD player c/w(2 gig USB memory stick) under the drivers seat with a universal mount enclosure. Wired the amplifier under the passenger seat. Installed two Clarion 4X6 plate speakers installed under the cardboard shelf with holes cut in the cardboard. I took the rear shelf cardboard and wrapped and stretched with 2 layers of black speaker fabric over the two rear speaker c/w with the single radio speaker in the centre. this makes the two rear speakers invisible. The two front speaker were a problem with little room to install the 5 1/4" inch with separate tweeters under the dash and still get some good sound therefore I am having left and right speaker pods fabricated out of fiberglass and having them painted black positioned in front of the air vents in the kick panels. These pods have the 5 1/4" base speaker on the bottom and the 1" tweeter on the top of pod. I post picture when I get the pods finished

1964 GT Hawk soon to be R2 Clone
      1964 GT Hawk
      PSMCDR 2014
      Best time: 14.473 sec. 96.57 MPH quarter mile
      PSMCDR 2013
      Best time: 14.654 sec. 94.53 MPH quarter

Victoria, Canada

Comment

I spend this last weekend installing my system in the 64 hawk. I have install the CD player c/w(2 gig USB memory stick) under the drivers seat with a universal mount enclosure. Wired the amplifier under the passenger seat. Installed two Clarion 4X6 plate speakers installed under the cardboard shelf with holes cut in the cardboard. I took the rear shelf cardboard and wrapped and stretched with 2 layers of black speaker fabric over the two rear speaker c/w with the single radio speaker in the centre. this makes the two rear speakers invisible. The two front speaker were a problem with little room to install the 5 1/4" inch with separate tweeters under the dash and still get some good sound therefore I am having left and right speaker pods fabricated out of fiberglass and having them painted black positioned in front of the air vents in the kick panels. These pods have the 5 1/4" base speaker on the bottom and the 1" tweeter on the top of pod. I post picture when I get the pods finished

1964 GT Hawk soon to be R2 Clone
        1964 GT Hawk
        PSMCDR 2014
        Best time: 14.473 sec. 96.57 MPH quarter mile
        PSMCDR 2013
        Best time: 14.654 sec. 94.53 MPH quarter

Victoria, Canada

Comment

Thanks to this forum, and information from Greywbl, I've located the 4" x 8" speaker needed for out Lark. I've been looking for years. You find one at a swap meeet, but it has been in the bottom of a box for years. I'll be ordering one in a few days.

Perry
          '23 Special Six,
          '50 Business Champ,
          '50 Starlight Champ,
          '60 Lark droptop,
          '63 GT
          Perry
          \'50 Business Champ,
          \'50 Starlight Champ,
          \'60 Lark Convertible,
          \'63 GT R1,
          \'67 Triumph TR4A

Comment

Thanks to this forum, and information from Greywbl, I've located the 4" x 8" speaker needed for out Lark. I've been looking for years. You find one at a swap meeet, but it has been in the bottom of a box for years. I'll be ordering one in a few days.

Perry
            '23 Special Six,
            '50 Business Champ,
            '50 Starlight Champ,
            '60 Lark droptop,
            '63 GT
            Perry
            \'50 Business Champ,
            \'50 Starlight Champ,
            \'60 Lark Convertible,
            \'63 GT R1,
            \'67 Triumph TR4A

Comment

I eventually built a 3 sided enclosure (open to the back)for the 62 Hawk to fit on top of the transmission hump between the hump and the lip of the dash. Approx. 12" wide, 9" high and 8" deep. I mounted two 4 inch coaxial Infinity speakers from Future Shop in the bottom section of the enclosure front panel with a Clarion Radio/CD head unit in the top right. The enclosure sits under the dash lip yet behind the portion that dips down by the lighter. The head unit actually sits tight to the dash beside the lighter section. I covered the enclosure with black vinyl and it matches and melts right into the dash.People not completely familiar with the Hawk think it is factory. I use the single mono speaker in the rear shelf hooked to left side only and it sounds great. Custom Audio Sound does have a Dual Voice Coil speaker for the rear which allows both left and right channels to be hooked up to one speaker but I don't think I'll bother. I can send pictures if anyone is interested.

Regards,
              John

John Esmonde
              Holland Landing, Ontario
              Canada
              '62 Hawk
              '30 Chev Coach
              sigpicJohn Esmonde
              Holland Landing, Ontario
              Canada
              \'62 Hawk
              \'60 Lark Regal Convertible
              \'30 Chev Coach

Comment

I eventually built a 3 sided enclosure (open to the back)for the 62 Hawk to fit on top of the transmission hump between the hump and the lip of the dash. Approx. 12" wide, 9" high and 8" deep. I mounted two 4 inch coaxial Infinity speakers from Future Shop in the bottom section of the enclosure front panel with a Clarion Radio/CD head unit in the top right. The enclosure sits under the dash lip yet behind the portion that dips down by the lighter. The head unit actually sits tight to the dash beside the lighter section. I covered the enclosure with black vinyl and it matches and melts right into the dash.People not completely familiar with the Hawk think it is factory. I use the single mono speaker in the rear shelf hooked to left side only and it sounds great. Custom Audio Sound does have a Dual Voice Coil speaker for the rear which allows both left and right channels to be hooked up to one speaker but I don't think I'll bother. I can send pictures if anyone is interested.

Regards,
                John

John Esmonde
                Holland Landing, Ontario
                Canada
                '62 Hawk
                '30 Chev Coach
                sigpicJohn Esmonde
                Holland Landing, Ontario
                Canada
                \'62 Hawk
                \'60 Lark Regal Convertible
                \'30 Chev Coach

Comment

I would prefer to fix the radio myself here during the summer, where can I order replacement electrolytic capacitors that Clark mentioned? Also, there is no noise at all from the radio when running, humming etc. A guy said the vibrator should also be replaced as it should be making noise, is this true, and where would I get a replacement? The radio is a Philco s4927, for a 1950.
                  Thanks,
                  Spence

Comment

I would prefer to fix the radio myself here during the summer, where can I order replacement electrolytic capacitors that Clark mentioned? Also, there is no noise at all from the radio when running, humming etc. A guy said the vibrator should also be replaced as it should be making noise, is this true, and where would I get a replacement? The radio is a Philco s4927, for a 1950.
                    Thanks,
                    Spence

Comment

Buy this modern, solid state version.

http://www.radiodaze.com/auto-radios.htm

JDP/Maryland

63 GT R2
                      63 Avanti R1
                      63 Daytona convert-63
                      63 Lark 2 door
                      62 Lark 2 door
                      60 Lark HT-60Hawk
                      59 3E truck
                      58 Starlight
                      52 & 53 Starliner
                      51 Commander

JDP Maryland

Comment

Buy this modern, solid state version.

http://www.radiodaze.com/auto-radios.htm

JDP/Maryland

63 GT R2
                        63 Avanti R1
                        63 Daytona convert-63
                        63 Lark 2 door
                        62 Lark 2 door
                        60 Lark HT-60Hawk
                        59 3E truck
                        58 Starlight
                        52 & 53 Starliner
                        51 Commander

JDP Maryland

Comment

quote:Originally posted by 1950Champ

Thanks,
                          Spence
                          Spence, another source for capacitors and solid-state vibrator replacements is Antique Electronics Supply, http://www.tubesandmore.com/

You MUST replace the buffer capacitor connected across the secondary of the vibrator transformer. It will be a paper capacitor rated at 1600 volts, the only one in the radio rated at that voltage. You SHOULD replace the electrolytic capacitors, and all the paper capacitors, too. They typically cost between 50 cents and a buck apiece, and there aren't so many that the cost of replacing them will break you.

There are numerous Websites that go into considerable detail on the process of tube radio restoration; let me know if you want a few more links. Just Googling for "antique radio" will turn up a bunch, though.

BTW, it's normal for vibrators to make a low hum. Again, replace the buffer capacitor. The old one is probably shorted, or about to short, and it will kill your vibrator instantly, and it will kill a solid-state one even faster.

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

quote:Originally posted by 1950Champ

Thanks,
                            Spence
                            Spence, another source for capacitors and solid-state vibrator replacements is Antique Electronics Supply, http://www.tubesandmore.com/

You MUST replace the buffer capacitor connected across the secondary of the vibrator transformer. It will be a paper capacitor rated at 1600 volts, the only one in the radio rated at that voltage. You SHOULD replace the electrolytic capacitors, and all the paper capacitors, too. They typically cost between 50 cents and a buck apiece, and there aren't so many that the cost of replacing them will break you.

There are numerous Websites that go into considerable detail on the process of tube radio restoration; let me know if you want a few more links. Just Googling for "antique radio" will turn up a bunch, though.

BTW, it's normal for vibrators to make a low hum. Again, replace the buffer capacitor. The old one is probably shorted, or about to short, and it will kill your vibrator instantly, and it will kill a solid-state one even faster.

Comment

Will replacing the vibrator with a 12v negative ground make the radio ready to hook up to the car which has been converted to 12v, or do lots of other things need to be done?

Comment

Will replacing the vibrator with a 12v negative ground make the radio ready to hook up to the car which has been converted to 12v, or do lots of other things need to be done?

Comment

Working...
                                X