Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fpstude
    replied
    Thanks to this forum, and information from Greywbl, I've located the 4" x 8" speaker needed for out Lark. I've been looking for years. You find one at a swap meeet, but it has been in the bottom of a box for years. I'll be ordering one in a few days.

Perry
    '23 Special Six,
    '50 Business Champ,
    '50 Starlight Champ,
    '60 Lark droptop,
    '63 GT

Leave a comment:

• studebaker-R2-4-me
    replied
    I spend this last weekend installing my system in the 64 hawk. I have install the CD player c/w(2 gig USB memory stick) under the drivers seat with a universal mount enclosure. Wired the amplifier under the passenger seat. Installed two Clarion 4X6 plate speakers installed under the cardboard shelf with holes cut in the cardboard. I took the rear shelf cardboard and wrapped and stretched with 2 layers of black speaker fabric over the two rear speaker c/w with the single radio speaker in the centre. this makes the two rear speakers invisible. The two front speaker were a problem with little room to install the 5 1/4" inch with separate tweeters under the dash and still get some good sound therefore I am having left and right speaker pods fabricated out of fiberglass and having them painted black positioned in front of the air vents in the kick panels. These pods have the 5 1/4" base speaker on the bottom and the 1" tweeter on the top of pod. I post picture when I get the pods finished

1964 GT Hawk soon to be R2 Clone

Leave a comment:

• studebaker-R2-4-me
    replied
    I spend this last weekend installing my system in the 64 hawk. I have install the CD player c/w(2 gig USB memory stick) under the drivers seat with a universal mount enclosure. Wired the amplifier under the passenger seat. Installed two Clarion 4X6 plate speakers installed under the cardboard shelf with holes cut in the cardboard. I took the rear shelf cardboard and wrapped and stretched with 2 layers of black speaker fabric over the two rear speaker c/w with the single radio speaker in the centre. this makes the two rear speakers invisible. The two front speaker were a problem with little room to install the 5 1/4" inch with separate tweeters under the dash and still get some good sound therefore I am having left and right speaker pods fabricated out of fiberglass and having them painted black positioned in front of the air vents in the kick panels. These pods have the 5 1/4" base speaker on the bottom and the 1" tweeter on the top of pod. I post picture when I get the pods finished

1964 GT Hawk soon to be R2 Clone

Leave a comment:

• pitbulllady
    replied
    My '61 Lark Cruiser already had an after-market AM-FM cassette in place when I got it, but no antenna, and just that one original speaker that came with the original AM radio, plus two after-market 4-6 speakers hidden on the front kick panels, almost underneath the dash. They're either not hooked up, or blown, since they don't work. I took it in to a car audio place to have them check it out for putting in a modern stereo, since the old radio is gone, anyway. I've got the original AM radio that came with my '51 Champion, but the seller said it doesn't work. I'll try to pursuade my father, who used to mess around a lot with old radios and TVs, to try and fix it, so I can keep that car as original as possible.

pitbulllady

Leave a comment:

• pitbulllady
    replied
    My '61 Lark Cruiser already had an after-market AM-FM cassette in place when I got it, but no antenna, and just that one original speaker that came with the original AM radio, plus two after-market 4-6 speakers hidden on the front kick panels, almost underneath the dash. They're either not hooked up, or blown, since they don't work. I took it in to a car audio place to have them check it out for putting in a modern stereo, since the old radio is gone, anyway. I've got the original AM radio that came with my '51 Champion, but the seller said it doesn't work. I'll try to pursuade my father, who used to mess around a lot with old radios and TVs, to try and fix it, so I can keep that car as original as possible.

pitbulllady

Leave a comment:

• 52 Ragtop
    replied
    Just to clarify, Bud Alenik does repairs on the stock radios, and is an electrical wizard! He does not do am/fm conversions! If yo need a stock radio, distributor (he has a Sun Dist. machine at home and KNOWS how to use it) or Carb. work he is a wizard!

Jim

Leave a comment:

• 52 Ragtop
    replied
    Just to clarify, Bud Alenik does repairs on the stock radios, and is an electrical wizard! He does not do am/fm conversions! If yo need a stock radio, distributor (he has a Sun Dist. machine at home and KNOWS how to use it) or Carb. work he is a wizard!

Jim

Leave a comment:

• 52 Ragtop
    replied
    I have a CD changer in my 52 ragtop, 6 volt POs. ground! I had my radio converted to am/fm by Turnswitch, and they did a great job. I also had them install the 2nd converter for the cd changer, and don't ask me how a 12 v neg ground cd changer works with a 6 volt pos. ground system, but it does, only 1 speaker, but who cares! Still sound great, and I'm very pleased with their work and quality.

Jim

Leave a comment:

• 52 Ragtop
    replied
    I have a CD changer in my 52 ragtop, 6 volt POs. ground! I had my radio converted to am/fm by Turnswitch, and they did a great job. I also had them install the 2nd converter for the cd changer, and don't ask me how a 12 v neg ground cd changer works with a 6 volt pos. ground system, but it does, only 1 speaker, but who cares! Still sound great, and I'm very pleased with their work and quality.

Jim

Leave a comment:

• John Kirchhoff
    replied
    I put a four speaker system into my '60 Hawk. I cut two new holes in the rear shelf for 5"X9" speakers. Rather than the old cardboard cover on the shelf, I just glued some of the el-cheapo auto carpet over the top. The weave is open enough that it doesn't effect the sound output. I sure didn't feel like chopping up the new material on my door panels as well as the doors, I was able to mount two 5" speakers under the dash. They point downward which isn't acoustically, but they work adequately without destroying a new interior. The right one attaches to the metal rail that supports the dash and I'd have to look to see where I mounted the left one. However, I do know the left one was more difficult because of little space. Instead of using screws to hold the front speakers in place, I used zip ties. They hold securely and if you don't like where they speaker is at, just cut them and reposition them elsewhere. A 4 speaker stereo system really sounds good compared to the old monaural two speaker deal.

Leave a comment:

• John Kirchhoff
    replied
    I put a four speaker system into my '60 Hawk. I cut two new holes in the rear shelf for 5"X9" speakers. Rather than the old cardboard cover on the shelf, I just glued some of the el-cheapo auto carpet over the top. The weave is open enough that it doesn't effect the sound output. I sure didn't feel like chopping up the new material on my door panels as well as the doors, I was able to mount two 5" speakers under the dash. They point downward which isn't acoustically, but they work adequately without destroying a new interior. The right one attaches to the metal rail that supports the dash and I'd have to look to see where I mounted the left one. However, I do know the left one was more difficult because of little space. Instead of using screws to hold the front speakers in place, I used zip ties. They hold securely and if you don't like where they speaker is at, just cut them and reposition them elsewhere. A 4 speaker stereo system really sounds good compared to the old monaural two speaker deal.

Leave a comment:

• rusty nut garage
    replied
    For Radio repair I recommend this guy!!! He's listed on Turners brake page and he just recently repaired a radio for me.
    SDC member and allround helpful honest guy.

Harry Alenik Radio Repair

310 643-8100

Russ Shop Foreman "Rusty Nut Garage"
    57 SH (project)
    60 Lark VIII 2dr sd (driver)

Leave a comment:

• rusty nut garage
    replied
    For Radio repair I recommend this guy!!! He's listed on Turners brake page and he just recently repaired a radio for me.
    SDC member and allround helpful honest guy.

Harry Alenik Radio Repair

310 643-8100

Russ Shop Foreman "Rusty Nut Garage"
    57 SH (project)
    60 Lark VIII 2dr sd (driver)

Leave a comment:

• avantilover
    replied
    1950Champ try this link -
    http://www.turnswitch.com/
    They say they can restore old car radios and are worth a go to see about yours.

John Clements
    Avantilover, your South Australian Studebaker lover!!!
    Lockleys South Australia

Leave a comment:

• avantilover
    replied
    1950Champ try this link -
    http://www.turnswitch.com/
    They say they can restore old car radios and are worth a go to see about yours.

John Clements
    Avantilover, your South Australian Studebaker lover!!!
    Lockleys South Australia

Leave a comment:

Working...
X