More Studes in MN auctions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More Studes in MN auctions

I may get to this one. I DO NOT need to buy anything....

My dad still has a '48 MM Z tractor my grandpa bought new. I spent some seat time on that thing with a 4 row front mount cultivator. We had a cob corn sheller like the one on the auction too but it was sold.

The pictures imply the studes are pretty decent and not "grove" cars.

BTW, bob40, did you end up going to that auction 2 weeks back with all the scrap metal and the stude trucks?

Jeff in ND

'53 Champion Hardtop

Jeff in ND

Didnt make it.Long story.
    Mono mind in a stereo world

Comment

Went to the auction near Breckenridge, MN today. Cold and clear morning with a real stiff wind, about 42F. It eventually warmed up to 62 but the wind never abated. I took my trailer in case I got crazy....

There were actually 6 Studes at auction and a few parts. These all seemed to have some amature resto work on them. They looked OK from 10ft or so for the most part. The sheds the seller had were all dirt or gravel floors and not the best condition either.

So, here are the auction results in year order...

'53 Champion Starlite Coupe:
      14G-C3 in Chippewa and Lombard Green with a red (!) interior.

The unusual thing about this car in addition to the AT was the super rare Saginaw PS on the flathead 6.

Also had electric wipers and window washer but no radio.
      They did have it running but it needed some attention. Looked like the original rubber mats were there and supposedly it had 44k miles.
      Had the late emblems on it and was body #7937
      There was evidence of some bondo in the fenders and a repaint at some time. The chrome looked pretty decent and appeared to be original.
      Sold for $4500 (buyer got a bonus dead mouse with maggots too [xx(][xx(])

'62 GT parts car:

Lots of good trim items and it did have a engine that I was told had a 4bbl carb. The trim was easily worth 2x the selling price IMO.
      Sold for $110

'62 GT Hawk:
      62V K6 in white with a red interior. Aftermarket floor shifter of some sort. No PS or PB.

Lots of bondo (and a real lumpy job of it too) I think they started it up but I wasn't nearby.
      Sold for $4000

'62 Lark Daytona Hardtop:
      62S J8 in Baby Blue. 6 cylinder w/AT.

Lots of bondo and suspect floor repairs. Looked real pretty from 10ft.
      Did not sell. No bids at $2k

'63 Lark 4dr:

This one was Work-In-Progress for the seller it seemed. 259 V8 and stick shift. Not running but engine was supposed to be not stuck.
      Sold for $150

'66 Commander 4dr:
      V-Y4 in a light metallic blue. V8 with 3spd and OD

They started it up on a borrowed battery but the clutch was stuck and so were the brakes. It had been dragged into the row for the sale.
      Some bondo and floor repairs with a so-so repaint. Looked pretty decent from 10ft.
      The interior was decent with rubber mats.
      Did not sell at $300 starting bid but there was a separate deal after the auction and someone bought it. Don't know for how much. I was actually sort of interested in it myself but the fact it was not moveable damped my interest.

The "running" cars seemed to have expired tags from the mid 90s on them.

Also was a late 40s Frazier 4dr. Seemed like a real solid original car. Supposedly it turned over with spark but would not start.
      Sold for $1250.

Parts on a trailer went pretty cheap. A GT dash probably from the parts car went for $35 or so. It was not the full instrument version I think but all the gauges were there. The grill went for $30 or so. There were some boxes of armrests and so forth but I did not catch the $$. I got a couple hubcaps including a fixeable tri-star '53 wheelcover for $2.

There was a whole row of Minneapolis Moline tractors and some parts for them as well as a lot of MM memorabilia but I did not pay much attention to them. I heard most of the tractors had a $1k reserve.

I saw several stude folks from ND and MN there and had a good visit so the trip was worth it for that if nothing els

Jeff in ND

Comment

Went to the auction near Breckenridge, MN today. Cold and clear morning with a real stiff wind, about 42F. It eventually warmed up to 62 but the wind never abated. I took my trailer in case I got crazy....

There were actually 6 Studes at auction and a few parts. These all seemed to have some amature resto work on them. They looked OK from 10ft or so for the most part. The sheds the seller had were all dirt or gravel floors and not the best condition either.

So, here are the auction results in year order...

'53 Champion Starlite Coupe:
        14G-C3 in Chippewa and Lombard Green with a red (!) interior.

The unusual thing about this car in addition to the AT was the super rare Saginaw PS on the flathead 6.

Also had electric wipers and window washer but no radio.
        They did have it running but it needed some attention. Looked like the original rubber mats were there and supposedly it had 44k miles.
        Had the late emblems on it and was body #7937
        There was evidence of some bondo in the fenders and a repaint at some time. The chrome looked pretty decent and appeared to be original.
        Sold for $4500 (buyer got a bonus dead mouse with maggots too [xx(][xx(])

'62 GT parts car:

Lots of good trim items and it did have a engine that I was told had a 4bbl carb. The trim was easily worth 2x the selling price IMO.
        Sold for $110

'62 GT Hawk:
        62V K6 in white with a red interior. Aftermarket floor shifter of some sort. No PS or PB.

Lots of bondo (and a real lumpy job of it too) I think they started it up but I wasn't nearby.
        Sold for $4000

'62 Lark Daytona Hardtop:
        62S J8 in Baby Blue. 6 cylinder w/AT.

Lots of bondo and suspect floor repairs. Looked real pretty from 10ft.
        Did not sell. No bids at $2k

'63 Lark 4dr:

This one was Work-In-Progress for the seller it seemed. 259 V8 and stick shift. Not running but engine was supposed to be not stuck.
        Sold for $150

'66 Commander 4dr:
        V-Y4 in a light metallic blue. V8 with 3spd and OD

They started it up on a borrowed battery but the clutch was stuck and so were the brakes. It had been dragged into the row for the sale.
        Some bondo and floor repairs with a so-so repaint. Looked pretty decent from 10ft.
        The interior was decent with rubber mats.
        Did not sell at $300 starting bid but there was a separate deal after the auction and someone bought it. Don't know for how much. I was actually sort of interested in it myself but the fact it was not moveable damped my interest.

The "running" cars seemed to have expired tags from the mid 90s on them.

Also was a late 40s Frazier 4dr. Seemed like a real solid original car. Supposedly it turned over with spark but would not start.
        Sold for $1250.

Parts on a trailer went pretty cheap. A GT dash probably from the parts car went for $35 or so. It was not the full instrument version I think but all the gauges were there. The grill went for $30 or so. There were some boxes of armrests and so forth but I did not catch the $$. I got a couple hubcaps including a fixeable tri-star '53 wheelcover for $2.

There was a whole row of Minneapolis Moline tractors and some parts for them as well as a lot of MM memorabilia but I did not pay much attention to them. I heard most of the tractors had a $1k reserve.

I saw several stude folks from ND and MN there and had a good visit so the trip was worth it for that if nothing els

Jeff in ND

Comment

Jeff,

Thanks for taking the time to post. One of the best auction reports I have seen on the Forum. If you get a winch on your trailer (or a rollback) a non roller is not a problem.

Gary

Guido Salvage - "Where rust is beautiful" and real Studebaker horsepower lives

See pictures here: http://community.webshots.com/user/GuidoSalvage

Hiding and preserving Studebakers in Richmond, Goochland & Louisa, Va.

Comment

Jeff,

Thanks for taking the time to post. One of the best auction reports I have seen on the Forum. If you get a winch on your trailer (or a rollback) a non roller is not a problem.

Gary

Guido Salvage - "Where rust is beautiful" and real Studebaker horsepower lives

See pictures here: http://community.webshots.com/user/GuidoSalvage

Hiding and preserving Studebakers in Richmond, Goochland & Louisa, Va.

Comment

I agree. I love auction reports like this- pictures with description. I know from experience it takes some effort to put together a post like that- THANK YOU.

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
              Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

I agree. I love auction reports like this- pictures with description. I know from experience it takes some effort to put together a post like that- THANK YOU.

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
                Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

Thanks Gary. I actually was thinking of getting a winch in case this happened but never got around to it. I've been too busy the last week. I remember helping someone unload a car bought at a junkyard auction 10yrs ago that was loaded with a big forklift at the sale. All 4 brakes were stuck solid. We chained the rear end to a tree and pulled the trailer out from under it! I might have been more inclined to come back later with tools to get the wheels loose at least but its getting late in the season and free weekends are in short supply, unfortunately.

Jeff in ND

'53 Champion Hardtop

Jeff in ND

Comment

Thanks Gary. I actually was thinking of getting a winch in case this happened but never got around to it. I've been too busy the last week. I remember helping someone unload a car bought at a junkyard auction 10yrs ago that was loaded with a big forklift at the sale. All 4 brakes were stuck solid. We chained the rear end to a tree and pulled the trailer out from under it! I might have been more inclined to come back later with tools to get the wheels loose at least but its getting late in the season and free weekends are in short supply, unfortunately.

Jeff in ND

'53 Champion Hardtop

Jeff in ND

Comment

I agree with Gary.Excellent report.So often we hear about a sale
                      but not much on what there was and what it went for.The pics are
                      a great help.I was talking to a person who attended the Solheim(sp)
                      auction in Wisconsin and from what I was told prices were very fair.
                      A R1 engine for $100??
                      Maybe I missed the thread on that huge auction.

(Edited for punctuation)

Comment

I agree with Gary.Excellent report.So often we hear about a sale
                        but not much on what there was and what it went for.The pics are
                        a great help.I was talking to a person who attended the Solheim(sp)
                        auction in Wisconsin and from what I was told prices were very fair.
                        A R1 engine for $100??
                        Maybe I missed the thread on that huge auction.

(Edited for punctuation)

Comment

Ditto what everyone else said about the excellent report, Jeff. Much appreciated. Really is the best yet! BP
                          We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Ditto what everyone else said about the excellent report, Jeff. Much appreciated. Really is the best yet! BP
                            We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by BobPalma

Indeed! Excellent commentary and pics. Too bad that '66 didn't come home with you. It would make a nice 'driver Stude'.

Craig

Comment

Working...
                              X