SHARE YOUR MOMENT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SHARE YOUR MOMENT

Share the moment you fell in love with Studebakers.

I was 11 and it was 1955. My Dad had a 55 Stude 4 door
    with 259, 4-bbl duals (power pack). He was challanged by a
    local young man with a 55 Chev. 265 power pac. I remember we were leaving a local gas station, and Dad told the guy to go out front
    and hold his hand up when he wanted dad to pass. He did, and dad drove right by him and left him. I fell in love with Studebakers that day. I have owned one of some kind since 1959.

SHARE YOUR MOMENT

Tex E. Grier

I was 10 in 1953 and was walking to school past a Stude dealer. In the window was a 53 Regal Hardtop, Black with a white interior. It was love at first sight.

Comment

Being the son of a body man, I was taught the importance of fit. One day I came along with my dad to pick up some parts he had ordered for a 55 Studebaker President. While he was at the parts counter I was looking in the showroom, admiring the fit of a 4 door Lark, how all the door gaps were the same, door fit, how they closed so level, so perfect, hood gaps, deck lid gaps. I was so impressed as Dad was leaving I called him over to show him what I saw. Patiently he allowed me to demonstrate my findings & then smiled.
      Years went by, a couple of letters to Studebaker followed including one requesting a copy of the annual report for my economics class in high school. I was so excited with the replies with the start "Dear Friend of Studebaker".
      At 17 I finally got my drivers licence. Dad came home from work one evening and while we were all sitting in the living room, gave me a 59 Lark accessories manual saying "I found this in a used car & thought you might like it." (he was the body shop manager at Queen City Pontiac in Plainfield, N.J. at the time) I smiled broadly & thanked him. Then he threw me the owners manual & said "this was with it". Gee thanks Dad, I replied, but the full importance didnt sink in. I think finally he knew I didnt get the meaning of it, so he thru me the keys & didnt say a word. I couldnt say anything either. All I could feel were my eyes tearing up. I ran over to him & hugged him. It was one of the greatest things he could have done for me, my first car, a seafoam green 59 Lark 4 door!

60 Lark convertible
      61 Champ
      62 Daytona convertible
      63 G.T. R-2,4 speed
      63 Avanti (2)
      66 Daytona Sport Sedan
      59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
      60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
      61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
      62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
      62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
      62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
      63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
      63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
      64 Zip Van
      66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
      66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

The moment I became the owner of one by virtue of my wife's childhood memories of custom Starlight in her family since before her birth. The Studebird! I knew virtually nothing about Studes until becoming a member of SDC. This forum and much reading have enlightened me to the uniqueness of owning one of America's iconic cars. I will never be the same again and that is a good thing.

Tim-'53 Custom Starlight aka The Studebird in Yuma, AZ
        Tim-'53 Starlight Commander Custom in Yuma, AZ
        jimsrodshop.com/project/53-resurrection

Comment

My older brother drove a 53 coupe home in 1966. I woke up the next morning and saw the car. Needless to say, when my brother came out of the house to leave, I was sitting in his car. I was there for at least three hours. I was eight years old and hooked.

Jamie McLeod

starliner62
          Hope Mills, NC
          Jamie McLeod
          Hope Mills, NC

1963 Lark "Ugly Betty"
          1958 Commander "Christine"
          1964 Wagonaire "Louise"
          1955 Commander Sedan
          1964 Champ
          1960 Lark

Comment

I was aware of Studebakers for a long time, but a couple stick out in my memory.
            In 1946-1947, I saw my first 1947 five passenger coupe (later commonly referred to as a Starlight coupe - Starlight name not used in 1947) parked at the curb on a street that I walked down nearly every day. I stopped and made a couple of trips around the car examining every aspect.
            I remember when two friends purchased new '53s. One was a Champion coupe and the other was a Commander hardtop. I had lost track of both for a period of years. One evening in 1971, I was having dinner at the Elk's Lodge with the couple that purchased the Commander Starliner new. They mentioned that they were going to sell it. I hadn't seen the car for years, but I immmediately stated that I would buy it. I "restored" that car and showed it for nine years. It still exists with my 35 year old paint job in NC (the last that I knew). I bought a 1959 Cadillac Fleetwood 60 Special from the same couple shortly after this. The engine in the Studebaker was bad with less than 100K miles on it. I found out that when they changed the oil in the Cadillac, the used oil became the oil for the Studebaker. And I always said that oil is cheaper than engines.

Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
            Studebaker enthusiast much longer
            Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

It all happened before my memory fully developed.

Matthew Burnette
              Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Flashback

I was 11 and it was 1955. My Dad had a 55 Stude 4 door
                with 259, 4-bbl duals (power pack). He was challenged by a
                local young man with a 55 Chev. 265 power pac. I remember we were leaving a local gas station, and Dad told the guy to go out front
                and hold his hand up when he wanted dad to pass. He did, and dad drove right by him and left him. I fell in love with Studebakers that day. Tex E. Grier
                [u]THAT</u> is a cool story, Ted. Few of us, myself included, have such a specific moment in time to recall. Good story. I hope your Dad knows (knew?) how that event influenced your passion. BP
                We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
                "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

mbstude writes: "It all happened before my memory fully developed."

Matthew, I think it's fair to say it started even before you were a twinkle in your mom's eye.[:X]

Miscreant Studebaker nut in California's central valley.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                  1960 Larkvertible V8
                  1958 Provincial wagon
                  1953 Commander coupe
                  1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by studegary

One evening in 1971, I was having dinner at the Elk's Lodge with the couple that purchased the Commander Starliner new. They mentioned that they were going to sell it. I hadn't seen the car for years, but I immmediately stated that I would buy it. I "restored" that car and showed it for nine years.
                    This one??

Craig

Comment

A neighbor of ours also bought a 53 Studebaker, but unlike the Champion 4 door sedan that my Mother bought, it was a Commander hardtop, dark blue over light blue with whitewalls and full wheel covers.

I was only 8 years old, but I thought it was the most beautiful car I had ever seen. I used to stand at our driveway and wait for him to come home from work, so I could just look at his car.

Leonard Shepherd
                      http://leonardshepherd.com/

Comment

That's a great picture and article find, Craig. I think we've all performed a little legerdemain to get our Studes where they are today.
                        I've had Studes in my family life back to almost fifty years ago, but I distinctly remember the day 26 years ago as I was driving down Clifton Blvd. coming up behind a black 1960 Lark convertible; calling a friend who's dad only owned Studebakers since 1947 and asked by visual description what year he thought it was. "They only made that convertible in 1960" was the answer. That led to finding an ad in Hemmings in the mid-nineties and finally a purchase. Two more projects just like it came and went, but I still have that original car and the moment it fell in love with me and quit fighting coming back to life is the day I remember best.

First completed convertible, 1997
                        [img][/img]

How my current Lark looked since 1971, in 1995
                        [img][/img]

Comment

In 1962 I was 11 years old. While hanging out in front of the neighborhood ice cream shop, I saw the most beautifull car I had ever seen, come around the corner. The driver pulled under his carport about 50 feet past the store. It was my neighbors brand new, shiney black and chrome GT Hawk.Years went by and just before I came back from Hawaii in 81, the old man died. He still had the Hawk, and now his son was driving it.Then in 2000 while visiting my mother, I tracked the old Hawk down. Not for sale. A few months later, the owner called me to inquire if I was still interested in it, I was. 2 months later I finally got the Hawk. 38 years after I first saw it. No it's not for sale.

Pat Skelly
                          62 GT Hawk
                          53 Studillac
                          37 Dictator Coupe

Comment

quote:Originally posted by barnlark

That's a great picture and article find, Craig.
                            In 1976, the wife of my grandfather's accountant opened up a new bookstore in a strip mall not far from where I lived at the time.
                            She knew about my car and my love of all things Studebaker when she got this small hardcover book in, and pointed it out to me. To show my patronage/support, I ended up buying it as does have lots of color photographs, even though only three pages pertain to Studebaker.

Craig

Comment

While I had already had a fondness for Studebakers for some time, I fell in love with our Studebaker the day John and G.D. brought it home on the trailer from California. I walked out the front door and there they all were in person. We had talked about having a truck of our own, and it was finally a reality! I knew I was hooked completely as I watched John maneuver himself through the driver's side window in order to get in the truck and back it off of the trailer. I remember laughing and thinking (correctly) that this was just the beginning of many more Studebaker adventures to come!
                              -Tracy

The moment I fell in love with my Studebaker was the day we brought it home and our kids got to see it for the first time. We all piled into the front seat and I took them for a drive down the road. They were so excited and thought it was just the coolest thing. How can you go wrong with that? -John

John and Tracy Smith
                              Queen Creek Arizona
                              http://1955studebaker.blogspot.com/

Comment

Working...
                              X