This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studebaker Administration Building

I see in the newest Turning Wheels that the old Studebaker Administration Building is now vacant..the South Bend Public Schools Corporation has left. The future of the building is very much up in the air. I also see where a tour of the building has been tentatively scheduled by the folks planning the South Bend meet. Has anyone here been in the building recently? Any further news on its status? Once upon a time I (and others I'm sure) had hopes the building would one day serve as the new Studebaker National Museum and that the building could have been restored back to its former grandeur. Many of us who have toured the Auburn-Cord-Duesenberg Museum (in the old Auburn Admin. Building) had visions of something similar at "our" Administration Building. Not to put down the new museum building at all (we are most probably better off) but wouldn't it have been something...

Studedude1961
    --1963 Cruiser

Saw this article, too. I hate it when this type of thing called "obsolescence" happens. Given the resources expended to construct buildings like it, it should be used much longer. It looks like a fairly large building, and that may be why finding a new occupant for the long term may be problematic. Failing that(and I'm being half facetious, here)the SDC could lease it, and use it for car meets. We could bring our camping gear & stay in the building to cut our travel expenses. Vendors could have permanent booths and warehouse space. Sorry, just thinking outside the box. At least it might keep it going awhile longer.

Comment

Saw this article, too. I hate it when this type of thing called "obsolescence" happens. Given the resources expended to construct buildings like it, it should be used much longer. It looks like a fairly large building, and that may be why finding a new occupant for the long term may be problematic. Failing that(and I'm being half facetious, here)the SDC could lease it, and use it for car meets. We could bring our camping gear & stay in the building to cut our travel expenses. Vendors could have permanent booths and warehouse space. Sorry, just thinking outside the box. At least it might keep it going awhile longer.

Comment

I also see where a tour of the building has been tentatively scheduled by the folks planning the South Bend meet. Has anyone here been in the building recently? Any further news on its status? Once upon a time I (and others I'm sure) had hopes the building would one day serve as the new Studebaker National Museum and that the building could have been restored back to its former grandeur.

Yes, I had that same thought, also, after taking a tour of it in 2002. I thought what an excellent venue for the SNM, given its historical significance. Not to mention, the freco on the top floor, stained glass windows in the boardroom, walk-in safe, and monogramed brass door knobs, among other things still in place. I certainly hope it does get a new tenant that has preservation in mind.

Craig

Comment

I also see where a tour of the building has been tentatively scheduled by the folks planning the South Bend meet. Has anyone here been in the building recently? Any further news on its status? Once upon a time I (and others I'm sure) had hopes the building would one day serve as the new Studebaker National Museum and that the building could have been restored back to its former grandeur.

Yes, I had that same thought, also, after taking a tour of it in 2002. I thought what an excellent venue for the SNM, given its historical significance. Not to mention, the freco on the top floor, stained glass windows in the boardroom, walk-in safe, and monogramed brass door knobs, among other things still in place. I certainly hope it does get a new tenant that has preservation in mind.

Craig

Comment

What I don't get, is that the museum bought an unrelated building and is going to retrofit it for the archives. Wouldn't the old admin. building be better? They could lease out the space they don't need. I'm sure the city would cut them a good deal (espically being that the museum is owned by the city...). But what do I know?

Lotsa Larks!
            K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
            Ron Smith
            Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
            Ron Smith
            Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

What I don't get, is that the museum bought an unrelated building and is going to retrofit it for the archives. Wouldn't the old admin. building be better? They could lease out the space they don't need. I'm sure the city would cut them a good deal (espically being that the museum is owned by the city...). But what do I know?

Lotsa Larks!
              Ron Smith
              Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
              Ron Smith
              Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

The archives building is right next door (across the street due South)to the SNM (in an old corner old bar).
                Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by studeclunker

Ron Smith
                HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

The archives building is right next door (across the street due South)to the SNM (in an old corner old bar).
                  Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by studeclunker

Ron Smith

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Comment

When I was in SB in 97, I just walked into the bldg and asked the first person I came across if there'd be a problem looking around. This fella consulted with a couple other folks there and gave me the go-ahead to take a look.
                    More than anything, I wanted to see the murals depicting the history of wheeled travel that covers the upper walls of the conference room. I did just that. Further, I got to see the president's office that overlooked the main entrance and even got pretty snoopy since no one challenged my wanderings until some gal detected me going up an access stairwell of some sort that I THINK led to the roof. I ALMOST got to open the door at the top of this steep stairs before she called up from below me and asked what I thought I was doing.
                    Once I explained that I'd cleared my "tour" with some folks downstairs, she turned friendly and was willing to answer some questions as best she could. In fact, she led me to an office and introduced me to a gal that had worked there during Studebaker's final days!
                    The decor of the place was pure 60s and that in itself was a cool sorta time warp! Damned shame if it comes to it being torn down, BUT - I believe a brand new museum serves the club and artifacts better.

Miscreant adrift in
                    the BerStuda Triangle!!

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                    1960 Larkvertible V8
                    1958 Provincial wagon
                    1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

When I was in SB in 97, I just walked into the bldg and asked the first person I came across if there'd be a problem looking around. This fella consulted with a couple other folks there and gave me the go-ahead to take a look.
                      More than anything, I wanted to see the murals depicting the history of wheeled travel that covers the upper walls of the conference room. I did just that. Further, I got to see the president's office that overlooked the main entrance and even got pretty snoopy since no one challenged my wanderings until some gal detected me going up an access stairwell of some sort that I THINK led to the roof. I ALMOST got to open the door at the top of this steep stairs before she called up from below me and asked what I thought I was doing.
                      Once I explained that I'd cleared my "tour" with some folks downstairs, she turned friendly and was willing to answer some questions as best she could. In fact, she led me to an office and introduced me to a gal that had worked there during Studebaker's final days!
                      The decor of the place was pure 60s and that in itself was a cool sorta time warp! Damned shame if it comes to it being torn down, BUT - I believe a brand new museum serves the club and artifacts better.

Miscreant adrift in
                      the BerStuda Triangle!!

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                      1960 Larkvertible V8
                      1958 Provincial wagon
                      1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

I've heard of buildings being sold for a dollar. Maybe South Bend would sell it to a preservation committee organized by the Studebaker Drivers Club for $1. That would be exciting. I'm not sure how we'd pay for maintenance, but maybe in conjunction with another group it could be done. It OUGHT to be on the National Register of Historic Places. That's something the club could also spearhead. If it is on the list it can't be torn down without TONS of approvals, and maybe not even then. I've heard of some very ugly and obscure things being on the register that really probably shouldn't be. I'm actually surprised that this building isn't already on the list. Time to mobilize.
                        "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

I've heard of buildings being sold for a dollar. Maybe South Bend would sell it to a preservation committee organized by the Studebaker Drivers Club for $1. That would be exciting. I'm not sure how we'd pay for maintenance, but maybe in conjunction with another group it could be done. It OUGHT to be on the National Register of Historic Places. That's something the club could also spearhead. If it is on the list it can't be torn down without TONS of approvals, and maybe not even then. I've heard of some very ugly and obscure things being on the register that really probably shouldn't be. I'm actually surprised that this building isn't already on the list. Time to mobilize.
                          "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

Mobilize?
                            Who are you kidding?
                            Nobody wants the building, the maintenance, the asbestos.
                            The only thing anyone wants is the tax revenue, and that won't happen until the old building is gone and a new whatevermall is built and occupied.
                            Spearhead?
                            Maybe the SDC could buy it with all the missing funds we never hear about being (not) recovered...
                            I'd sooner see the membership spearhead that recovery than an old unused building.
                            Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by Scott

DEEPNHOCK at Gmail.com
                            Brooklet, Georgia
                            '37 Coupe Express (never ending project)
                            '37 Coupe Express Trailer (project)
                            '61 Hawk (project)
                            http://community.webshots.com/user/deepnhock

Jeff

Comment

Mobilize?
                              Who are you kidding?
                              Nobody wants the building, the maintenance, the asbestos.
                              The only thing anyone wants is the tax revenue, and that won't happen until the old building is gone and a new whatevermall is built and occupied.
                              Spearhead?
                              Maybe the SDC could buy it with all the missing funds we never hear about being (not) recovered...
                              I'd sooner see the membership spearhead that recovery than an old unused building.
                              Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by Scott

DEEPNHOCK at Gmail.com
                              Brooklet, Georgia
                              '37 Coupe Express (never ending project)
                              '37 Coupe Express Trailer (project)
                              '61 Hawk (project)
                              http://community.webshots.com/user/deepnhock

Jeff

Comment

Working...
                              X