ups

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ups

Just wondering if anybody out there has sent anything by U P S lately. With the price of gas as it is they aren`t giving anyone a break on shipping. Met a guy that needed a driver side fender for a 47 M-5. I would send it by U P S. Went to the local U P S, they looked it over, measured it, told me $53.10 to send it from Southeast WA.St. to Grants Pass Oregon. This was with no box they would slap a shipping tag on it and send it on its way. Well I didn`t want anymore dings in it that it aleady had, so I told them I would go home throw on a little bubble wrap and come back. The wife being the sweet person she is put a double wrap and duct taped it securely. Went back measured it again told me $135.15. After a heated debate over the thickness of the wrap, I lost,had to remove all wrap, placed a tag and sent it as is. Is that crazy or what/

I'm constantly beating the drum for the Post Office here. UPS added THREE fuel surcharges this year alone; the PO never does that. That's just one of the advantages that add up to the PO most of the time being MUCH cheaper these days! I'm not sure if a fender will fit within their size limits, but I believe it will. Did you check with them?

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
    Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

Large items can also be shipped by Greyhound as long as everyone has a station nearby for drop-off and pick-up (sorry, no home deliveries).

--george

1963 Lark Daytona HT - 63V J8 175

Comment

I had a fellow in Washington state call me about a fuel tank for an Oliver tractor. UPS quoted me $50.19 to deliver it. I guess the guy needed it, as a check is in the mail to me.

Guido Salvage - "Where rust is beautiful" and real Studebaker horsepower lives

See pictures here: http://community.webshots.com/user/GuidoSalvage

Hiding and preserving Studebakers in Richmond, Goochland & Louisa, Va.
        Join me in removing narcissists, trolls, self annoited "experts" and general idiots via the Ignore button.

The official SDC Forum heel nipper ���

�Middle age is when your broad mind and narrow waist begin to change places.� E. Joseph Cossman

For every mile of road, there are 2 miles of ditch. ���

"All lies matter - fight the kleptocracy"

Comment

You may want to try DHL. I've often used them for larger, heavier or bulky items.

Comment

I won't use UPS anymore because at least in my area they're spectacularly incompetent and a PITA to deal with. I've got about a 50% success rate with receiving packages from them when promised and without phone calls to their 1-800 number.

nate

--
            55 Commander Starlight
            http://members.cox.net/njnagel
            --
            55 Commander Starlight
            http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

I've been bit by the way they measure things, so my quote to the buyer was way short. No, they are not as dependable as Fed Ex. Greyhound is great, but they have a 100 pound limit.

San antonio TX. 53 Champion Coupe, to be brought back from the dead.
              "Of course it will fit, I have a torch"

Comment

I work for ABX Air,and we haul freight for DHL( I work in Aircraft sheetmetal ,but have sorted freight when needed), That being said, DHL in in talks with UPS to haul all its freight. That will put over 7000 employees out of work in my area ( me one of them). The good part of shipping with DHL is you can ship ground rates ,and 99% of time it goes air freight. Ask Neal Weeks , I sent a M16 trans. Dhl ground ,he had it next morning (Ohio to New Mexico). Now a word of caution. About all freight companies use large A containers. They are about 12 ft. sq. and 7 ft. tall . weight up to 2000 pounds depending on freight in them . You don't know where your package will be in container. Fragile means nothing. You can't over protect a package.

Randy Wilkin
                1946 M5 Streetrod
                Hillsboro,Ohio 45133
                Randy Wilkin
                1946 M5 Streetrod
                Hillsboro,Ohio 45133

Comment

I have an UPS account, we don't ship everyday so when we do ship, each time I log on they update the fuel surcharge. One guy on E-bay states that he can only gurantee shippn charges for 72 hours. Whe have started using the Post Office more and more. As an aside I bought a gas tank from someone, the UPS on the package was $68. It was not based on weight, but on volume. HOWEVER, we shipped 56 boxes of stuff to the National with a total weight of 1233 lbs. UPS gave me "hundred weight" and charged us $8.06 a carton........ GO FIGURE.

Comment

Thanks for all the input on shipping larger items, I will make sure I shop around before I use U P S again.

Comment

This is one area I can be a technical expert on. I have been in the business for over 20 years and manage a logistics company. We to have our own fleet of aircraft. Just a few quick notes. Due to new FAA, TSA and DHS laws, individuals shipping out of their homes or doing drop offs are very limited on what they can do. With that being said I will suggest using one of my competitors....UPS or Federal Express for lightweight air and ground packages. Stay away from DHL they are the low cost provider and always have been....you get what you pay for. The post office and Greyhound both do an excellent job and are very cost effective. I too have used them and have been very pleased. They only drawbacks is that you can not track your packages and they take a few extra days.

In reference to comments about A containers, ULD and not caring how things are loaded.......wrong. The carrier you talked about might do things like that but the company I work for does not. We are a lot more expensive that DHL but our damage ratio is also less than one quarter of one percent systemwide.

Words of caution when shipping. Package it well both to protect your contents and to protect employees and equipment from getting cut or damaged. Watch your dims, oversize fees can kill you. And if at all possible attempt to deliver to someones place of work rather than paying for a residential delivery or beyond delivery. Best of luck.

58 Packard Wgn (Parade Red)
                      58 Packard Wgn (Park Green)
                      58 Packard Sdn (Shadowtone Red)
                      62 Daytona (White)
                      63 R2 Lark (Super Red)
                      57 Packard Wagon parts car
                      57 Packard sedan parts car
                      58 Packard 2 dr hdtp parts car

Comment

Thanks for the info 58. Let me add a couple points:

With the Post Office you CAN track parcels; you just have to ask for Delivery Confirmation. They add a label with a barcode.

Priority Mail ships in 2-3 days. The P.O. has flat rate boxes in a few different sizes. Many times the Priority rate is nearly the same or even less that regular Parcel Post. As you said, oversize fees can be huge- find out what the limits are before you pack or quote.

A couple more things with the P.O.- There are never fuel surcharges. And, you never pay extra for residential delivery, and there's no such thing as "beyond"- they go everywhere, every day!

Good advice here for anyone that ships anything.

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
                        Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

Working...
                        X