56 Hawk with unusual engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 56 Hawk with unusual engine

This is Rick Phillips Hawk with home made manifold with dual carbs.

Gary Sanders
    Nixa, MO
    President Toy Studebaker Collectors Club. Have an interest in Toy Studebakers? Contact me for details.
    Gary Sanders
    Nixa, MO

Pretty cool[8D] Wonder how it runs, and how much power gain it gives...?

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
    Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Gary1953

This is Rick Phillips Hawk with home made manifold with dual carbs.

Gary Sanders
      Nixa, MO
      President Toy Studebaker Collectors Club. Have an interest in Toy Studebakers? Contact me for details.
      And check out the nice handmade header also......

Paul
      Winston-Salem, NC
      Visit The NEW Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
      Paul
      Winston-Salem, NC
      Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

Comment

Looks like two Volkswagens died to become carburetor donors for this Hawk, LOL.

Probably a pretty good choice of carb, actually.

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands
        Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Thats what hot roding was when I grew up. We didn't have the dollars or aftermarket. Vary nice, and vary unique.
          Klif

55 Speedster
          55 Speedster/Street Machine
          63 Avanti R2
          64 Convertible R1

Comment

That's my wife talking to Kevin Phillips(recently back from Iraq) and the guy in the blue hat is me. The 56 Golden we are standing behind also belongs to Rick.
            Gary's pictures of the engine turned out better than mine. The carbs are Volkswagen and Rick said that he had to drill out the jets to get the engine to run right. I tried to get a picture of the throttle linkage, but it didn't turn out. He already has ideas for redesigning the headers.

1952 Champion Starlight, 1962 Daytona, both w/overdrive.Searcy,Arkansas
            "I may be lazy, but I'm not shiftless."
            "In the heart of Arkansas."
            Searcy, Arkansas
            1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
            1952 2R pickup

Comment

Looks like that manifold is water injected/heated/cooled?, maybe it's a Hydrogen Hybrid powered Flight Hawk! [^]

StudeRich
              Studebakers Northwest
              Ferndale, WA
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

It looks to be a water cooled intake manifold. There is a hose that enters through the front, and appears to exit out the back, with what is probably a coil of some sort inside. LOL, what percolation problems? [)]

[img=left]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/My%201950%202r5%20Studebaker%20Pickup%20with%20turbocharger/P1000137-1.jpg[/img=left]
                [img=right]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/DSC00005.jpg?t=1171153370[/img=right]
                [IMG=left]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/Ex%20Studebaker%20Plant%20Locomotive/P1000578-1.jpg[/IMG=left]
                1964 Studebaker Commander R2 clone
                1963 Studebaker Daytona Hardtop with no engine or transmission
                1950 Studebaker 2R5 w/170 six cylinder and 3spd OD
                1955 Studebaker Commander Hardtop w/289 and 3spd OD and Megasquirt port fuel injection(among other things)

Comment

What Rick has done is heat the manifold just like Edmunds did on the old dual intake I have.

The pipes at each end are for water to pass through. (Yeah, I know it's not a very clear view.)
                  I didn't ask him about drive-ability problems, but he didn't mention any. I do know that his grandson said that his cars are drivers and he owns nothing but Studebakers. I doubt he would keep a set-up that didn't work on his car.

1952 Champion Starlight, 1962 Daytona, both w/overdrive.Searcy,Arkansas
                  "I may be lazy, but I'm not shiftless."
                  "In the heart of Arkansas."
                  Searcy, Arkansas
                  1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
                  1952 2R pickup

Comment

Working...
                  X