Studebaker truck found

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studebaker truck found

A local Studebaker friend called me yesterday to say that he had a "new" blue Studebaker truck. It seems he was just driving through town in his '57 pickup and out of the corner of his eye saw a Stude truck on a rollback. He pulled around and ask a guy if it was for sale. The guy said yes and that he wanted $1000 for it. My friend bought it and the seller delivered it to his house. It is a '56 long bed 3/4 ton.

The truck's paint is orginal and needs replacement, but there is very little rust on the truck. Mainly on cab steps. None on fenders front or rear. Bed is fairly solid. Supposedly straight as an arrow. Has a "new" engine that started right up with a change of the points. Another engine and tranny is is the bed. Lots of extra parts were included, including new cab steps, glass, rubber, extra trim pieces and the list goes on. And there is more stuff at the guy's house that also goes with the truck. It will be soon be a daily driver.

Neither of us even knew this truck was in town. I guess there are still deals out there.

Joe Roberts
    '61 R1 Champ
    '65 Cruiser
    Editor of "The Down Easterner"
    Eastern North Carolina Chapter
    Joe Roberts
    '61 R1 Champ
    '65 Cruiser

Holy moly! That was a deal! Hat's off to your pal's sharp eye!

Miscreant Studebaker nut in California's central valley.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe
    1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Sharp eyes always get the prizes as they just lurk sround the corner no matter where you are. Great find and an even better buy for your eagle eyed friend.
      sigpicSee you in the future as I write about our past

Comment

A definite "steal" at $1K!! [:0][8D]

<h5>Mark
        '57 Transtar Deluxe
        Vancouver Island

Are you planning to attend the NW Overdrive Tour in Parksville, BC
        May 23 & 24, 2009?
        </h5>
        Mark Hayden
        '66 Commander
        Zone Coordinator
        Pacific Can-Am Zone

Comment

I learned a long time ago that most of us have no concept of the vast number of desirable collector vehicles that sit in barns, garages, etc. unknown and forgotten for years and even decades. From time to time they emerge, as in this example. The Skytop I bought recently is a perfect example- a great car, in a garage since 1988.

Remember- they're out there! Keep your eyes open- one's coming your way too![8D]

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
          Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

Like my "Behind the Fence" story. I was out for an early morning drive in Pete today. Had a very small task to do and when that was done I was off down a country road with bright sun and a decent temp outside. Felt so good, I just kept cruisin'. Probably peed off a few "commuters" of those that I encountered, but traffic was really light. I'd get up to 40 and putter along - looking behind barns and fences as much as I could. It's not that I haven't covered these same roads before - you just never know what might emerge or reveal itself one day.
            Oldest thing I saw today is one that's been sitting there for a number of years. I'm not sure of it's vintage, but it's an IHC short dump truck that's gotta be from the 30s.
            Saw a few 50s Ford cars and a sprinkling of old Chevy trucks here and there. Nothin' to get excited about.[|)] It felt good just to putter along with the windows all wide open and the 289 runnin' fine.

Miscreant Studebaker nut in California's central valley.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
            1960 Larkvertible V8
            1958 Provincial wagon
            1953 Commander coupe
            1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Is your friend going to keep this truck or is he just looking to get it into some Stude-friendly hands?

nate

--
              55 Commander Starlight
              http://members.cox.net/njnagel
              --
              55 Commander Starlight

Comment

That story is too cool. Last night I was at our local Mapleview Lion's Club Cruise with my Hawk and a guy came up to me and told me about a Black 62 or 63 GT Hawk parked in an alley behind a fence in Hamilton.

I had the opportunity to check out the car this afternoon. It's '63 Hawk with quite rusty front fenders (air vents are removed too), the rear window has been smashed out of it, and the paint is peeling on the front cowl.

The interesting thing about this Hawk is the half vinyl roof, and the RED LINE Tachometer in the instrument panel. She's a column shift, 120 MPH speedometer with no traction bars. I wonder what's under the hood.

I left my card in the guys front door. I hope he calls me.

1964 GT Hawk R2 Clone
                Oakville, Ontario.

Hamilton Chapter
                See you at the PSMCDR in Stanton Michigan September 12& 13
                1964 GT Hawk
                PSMCDR 2014
                Best time: 14.473 sec. 96.57 MPH quarter mile
                PSMCDR 2013
                Best time: 14.654 sec. 94.53 MPH quarter

Victoria, Canada

Comment

quote:Originally posted by N8N

Is your friend going to keep this truck or is he just looking to get it into some Stude-friendly hands?

nate

--
                  55 Commander Starlight
                  Nate, nobody could be more Stude friendly than my buddy. Nope he's keeping it, although he has a '57 hot rod pickup. This one is going to remain stock.

Joe Roberts
                  '61 R1 Champ
                  '65 Cruiser
                  Editor of "The Down Easterner"
                  Joe Roberts
                  '61 R1 Champ
                  '65 Cruiser

Comment

oh well, never hurts to ask. At least it's in good hands! got any pics?

nate

--
                    55 Commander Starlight
                    --
                    55 Commander Starlight

Comment

quote:Originally posted by bams50

I learned a long time ago that most of us have no concept of the vast number of desirable collector vehicles that sit in barns, garages, etc. unknown and forgotten for years and even decades. From time to time they emerge, as in this example. The Skytop I bought recently is a perfect example- a great car, in a garage since 1988.

Remember- they're out there! Keep your eyes open- one's coming your way too![8D]

[brown]Robert (Bob) Andrews

I learned this a long time ago. I know that it also helps to have connections.
                      I used to go along with a friend of mine that bought and sold Corvettes. He was a Sales Manager at a local Chevrolet dealership. Often people woud come to him with stories of cars that they wanted to get rid of. Many were Corvettes located locally that neither of us knew about. One widow asked him to check out their large garage/storage building. When we entered, we found it to be filled with Corvettes from 1954 up. Another one that I remember was a mid'60s that was in a cow barn in a rural part of the county. It only took a battery and gasoline to drive it back on his dealer plate. I drove back in his one week old Z28 5-speed "demonstrator".
                      A while back, a feature article was in the local paper about me and Studebakers. I got contacted by six to eight people about Studebakers that they had. At least five of these were cars in the county that I was not aware of. I made appointments and checked them all out. I didn't buy any. They were either too far gone to be even good parts cars or the price was so high that the cars are probably still sitting there.
                      I mention these few examples to support Bob A's hypothesis.

Gary L.
                      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                      Studebaker enthusiast much longer
                      Gary L.
                      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Hey Allen--

You found that Hawk!! I've heard about that one several times, including the detail about the smashed window (sadly that damage is reportedly recent). Whenever I go by the area where this car supposedly is, I drive along slowly with my head on sideways, trying in vain to catch a glimpse. Sounds like she might not be too far gone. Hope the owner does get in touch with you...

Cheers

Steve

Comment

Working...
                        X