A Sale of Two Larks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Sale of Two Larks?

I bought these two Larks on eBay from Norm Searle in Devon, Alberta. The "brown" car is actually Rose Mist, although it's hard to tell, it's so faded. Actually has "ROSE" written on the firewall in chalk.

The other car is dark metallic green, not a Studebaker color, as far as I know. It's terminally rusted, but has some good mechanical parts, and a very nice interior.

The brown car is a six standard, no overdrive. The clutch was rusted solid when I got it. I pulled the transmission and replaced the clutch with an almost-new Weasel clutch. The car drives nicely, but I've not had it out on the highway. The only rust visible from the outside is in the normal place on the rear edges of the front fenders. May be some in the floor; I have not taken the floor mats up. Seats are toast, and the interior door panels are not real good. One small L-shaped rip in the headliner, which could be mended, I think. Dash is bad. Brakes work, but should be serviced.

The green car is a six automatic. Engine is real tired, and blows blue smoke. Front end is real tight, as Norm redid it. He also had the seats and headliner redone, and they are nicely done in a red velour material. Door panels are pretty good, with a small tear or two. This car is terminally rusted, but it does run and drive, and it does have brakes. Both cars are '63, and neither are disc brake cars. If you put the interior from the green car into the brown one, and hung a coat of paint on it, you'd have a nice little driver for not much effort.

Making one from two is not on MY priority list, though. I'll be happy to sell these two together for what I have in 'em, which is the $900 I paid on eBay. This pair could be the basis for a great starter car for a young person just getting started in Studebakers.

I won't part out the brown one, but I will sell parts off the green one. I also just brought home a trailer load of Lark trannies and rear axles, the latter all model 27.

I'm pretty much decided on thinning my flock a little bit, so I can concentrate my time on my core projects, so if anyone here is looking for something in a Stude truck or car, let me know. Besides this pair of Larks, the potential victims include: 2R17A truck, US6 truck, M16 truck, 2R15 truck with 289, '62 3/4 ton Champ, '63 and '64 Wagonaires, and possibly '64 Daytona hardtop, and a '64 Cruiser. I sure don't want to see them all sold, but one or two I could part with. This isn't a forced sale, and I don't need the money from them, but I'm more concerned to see them go to a good home than to necessarily get the top dollar. Some of these have been neglected, because I've spread myself too thin, time-wise, and that's the bottom line.

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Gord, I know you have probably done this in the past (on other posts), but could you post a pic or two of each vehicle?

<h5>Mark
    '57 Transtar Deluxe
    Vancouver Island

Are you planning to attend the NW Overdrive Tour in Parksville, BC
    May 23 & 24, 2009?
    </h5>
    Mark Hayden
    '66 Commander
    Zone Coordinator
    Pacific Can-Am Zone

Comment

Sounds familiar, Gord[:I] I to have ...plenty.......

I remember the story of the pair-o-Larks... sad that somebody would put seats and front-end rebuild in a car that far gone- and an undesirable model at that[V]

My first Stude was a 64 Commander 4dr. 6 auto. Bought it from a mechanic who totally rebuilt the engine and installed a new SS exhaust system. He'd had it 13 years and started with the engine, then gave up when the town started pestering him. I pais too much because it purrs like a kitten, but in no way worth fixing. I sold it twice, and have it back, waiting for the right body for that engine and S/S exhaust[|)]

Good luck paring your collection down.

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
      Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

"I remember the story of the pair-o-Larks... sad that somebody would put seats and front-end rebuild in a car that far gone- and an undesirable model at that."

It wasn't that rusty when he did them. The car was Norm's daily driver for years, and he took it to the Northwest Territories. Still has a polar bear licence plate on the front.

Comment

Working...
        X