Pre WWII headlamp lenses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pre WWII headlamp lenses

Was perusing eBay and came across this item, which normally I would not have given a second thought about... However, the vendor is suggesting that these lenses for a '35 Studebaker Dictator are for Canadian built vehicles only. I know very little about pre-war Studes, but is this true? Did Cdn built cars have different lighting systems?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1935-STUDEBAKER-CANADA-ONLY-HEADLIGHT-LENSES_W0QQitemZ180283182932QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item180283182932

<h5>Mark
    '57 Transtar Deluxe
    Vancouver Island

Are you planning to attend the NW Overdrive Tour in Parksville, BC
    May 23 & 24, 2009?
    </h5>
    Mark Hayden
    '66 Commander
    Zone Coordinator
    Pacific Can-Am Zone

Interesting! They look just like the Stab-L-Lite lens used on US Studes for several years. The parts book doesn't help a lot either. It does show a different number for the Canadian lens that is also marked not available, and it doesn't show a replacement number.

Dwain G.

Comment

When I was in the process of buying parts for my 37.
      I bought a set of lenses from Australia.
      When they arrived, I noticed something different about them.
      The optics that are in the glass were reversed of the sets that I had from USA vehicles.
      Evidently because they drive on the left side of the road these were made differently.
      Perhaps one of our Australian members could comment on this.

Comment

Robert Kapteyn at Joliet Studebaker gave me an education on ('37) headlight lenses a few years ago (ask me how[B)]).....
        Seems that Studebaker used several vendors for headlight lenses, and there were subtle differences (like you desribe) with them.
        He had me look for the teeny tiny numbers that were cast into the lens (that I had left[B)]) to figure out what was the 'correct' replacement lens to match what I had.
        His info was spot on, and I learned a lot about lenses...
        You might want to get in touch with Robert about pre-war (WWII) lenses on Stude's.....
        Hope the info helps...
        Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by 37CoupeE

When I was in the process of buying parts for my 37.
        I bought a set of lenses from Australia.
        When they arrived, I noticed something different about them.
        The optics that are in the glass were reversed of the sets that I had from USA vehicles.
        Evidently because they drive on the left side of the road these were made differently.
        Perhaps one of our Australian members could comment on this.
        http://community.webshots.com/user/deepnhock
        HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Working...
        X