Another neat plant scene photo you will like

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another neat plant scene photo you will like

Another Sample Street image this one looking slightly northeast. The Standard Surplus building at left. Note in the enlargement the Salvage Department sign behind the Model A Coupe. How about that 1941 Commander Sedan Coupe sitting next to the '42 Land Cruiser. This photo was taken on Sept. 10, 1945. This was about a week after the Japanese signed the surrender aboard the U.S.S. Missouri. Someone really took good care of those cars during the war! Of course Studebaker still had some new untitled 1941-42 cars in stock as late as 1945-46 (something few people realize).

Richard Quinn
    editor: Antique Studebaker Review
    Richard Quinn
    Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Thanks for verifying the location of Studebaker Salvage, Dick; as we discussed with the 1952 photo of late.

I realize the untitled 1941 and 1942 cars were being held for gradual release to select people during the war (doctors, etc), but do you have any records of how they were sold, and to whom, after the war was over and restrictions on car purchasing were lifted? The demand for those few new cars would have been astronomical, as the sellers market would indicate for the next couple years at the time. BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
    "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

That coupe looks like your car, Richard.

Leonard Shepherd
      http://leonardshepherd.com/

Comment

Great pictures. I bet that was a great time to be alive <SIGH>

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
        Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

Comment

Richard, again another surberb picture from your renowned collection. Thanks for sharing it.
            sigpicSee you in the future as I write about our past

Comment

I wasn't even alive then (74') But some of you guys may be able to reflect, how it must have felt one week after the war ended. Unlike today, that must have been a proud moment, in our history.

Poeple always say you'll always remember were you were, when:

Kennedy was shot

Lennon was shot,

The attack on 911,

where were some of you guys when you heard the war was over?

John

53' 2R5 R1 Powershift TT Under Construction

57' Transtar 304 NP540 4:09 TT Under Construction (in Picture)

58' 3E6D Stock Sale Pending

61' 6E7 122 Factory Auto

John

62' Deluxe R2 4SPD.

63' R1 Wagonaire

57' Transtar 259 punched to 312 NP540 4:09 TT Under Construction

58' 3E6D Stock 4X4

64' (Studebaker Built) Trailer Toter

Comment

Well, John; let's see....since I was born 5 months after the Japanese surrendered aboard the U.S.S. Missouri, I have a pretty good idea of where I was when the war ended, but no recollection of it! BP
                We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
                "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by 289stude

Poeple always say you'll always remember were you were, when:
                  Kennedy was shot

I was at home in the front room when my dad walked in that door at lunch time. He NEVER came home for lunch; so I knew something major was up!

Lennon was shot,

Saw it on the 11:00 news that evening[B)]

The attack on 911,

Just starting work that day, and it came on the radio. (it was 7:00 AM here when it happened).

where were some of you guys when you heard the war was over?

BEFORE I was born

Craig

Comment

Richard - thanks for your continued posting of these historical photos. I really appreciate the stories that accompany them and the memories they obviously stir up for many of our "senior" members. Good stuff! [8D]

<h5>Mark
                    '57 Transtar Deluxe
                    Vancouver Island

Are you planning to attend the NW Overdrive Tour in Parksville, BC
                    May 23 & 24, 2009?
                    </h5>
                    Mark Hayden
                    '66 Commander
                    Zone Coordinator
                    Pacific Can-Am Zone

Comment

Kennedy was shot

I was in class in high school

Lennon was shot,

I didn't like the Beatles, so I don't remember when John Lennon was shot

The attack on 911,

I was in Home Depot. The manager announced it and an employee said "Where is the President?

Where were some of you guys when you heard the war was over?

I was very happy when the war was over !

Leonard Shepherd
                      http://leonardshepherd.com/

Comment

Richard, I see the remnants of an old Electric Co. sign or something on the later to be, Newman & Altman Building 58, here and on that other one taken when it was N&A, and it was still there. Did Stude. at one time lease part of the Building out to an Electric Supply Warehouse or something?

Or... since that Building was around since Wagons, Saddles and Harness were made there, maybe it has to do with Studebaker Electrics?

StudeRich
                        Studebakers Northwest
                        Ferndale, WA
                        StudeRich
                        Second Generation Stude Driver,
                        Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Well, let's see if the old memory is still working.

Kennedy shot- I walked into the high school gymnasium of the school where I was teaching. I was returning that afternoon after making a short trip into town to pick up some materials for the Senior 3 Act Play. We were doing our last dress rehersal that eveing and I was the Director. As I walked in the door, all the PE guys were standing around quietly in small groups (very unlike teenagers). Some were crying. Several teachers were pressed up against the football coaches office. I walked up to the group completely baffled, when one of the PE teachers told me what they were listening to on the radio. Stunned, completely blown away.[:0][:0]

Beatles- As another poster said, I was not into the Beatles and simply remember hearing a news broadcast, but I have no idea where I was or what I was doing.

911- At the time I was a salesman at Pettit Bros. Chrysler-Dodge-Jeep here in Louisa. Sometime around 9:45 AM, the phone rang and the clerk yelled out to us to turn on the TV. The only TV was an old, small color TV in the shop. Within minutes, the mechanics, two salesmen, two clerks and the owner watched in awe when the first tower fell. Unbelieveable! What was happening?? Total shock.[:0][:0]

Surrender of the Japanese- I was eight years old at the time. Just 4 months earlier I had watched my mother break into tears upon hearing about President Roosevelt's death. That really affected me that world events could have that kind of impact. When the announcement was made on the evening news at supper time that the Japanese had surrendered, my Mom jumped up with a squeal and did a little dance in the kitchen floor while Dad clapped his hands, We two older boys aped our Dad, not fully understanding, but celebrated anyway. I remember specifically my Mom saying, 'Now maybe we'll find out Ammit (her younger brother) is still alive'. Unfortunately, Uncle Ammit's body was found in a common grave in a Japanese prison camp in the Philipines. He was on Corregidor when it fell. [:0]

Frank Drumheller
                          Louisa, VA
                          60S-W6
                          1948 M16-52 Boyer fire truck

Comment

Kennedy I was shaving in the bathroom when they broke in the middle a song on the radio.

Lennon No recollection. I do recall first hearing the Beatles on the radio of my new 63 GT Hawk

911 Watching TV when it came on, woke up my son to watch.

VJ day, i was five and don't recall.

JDP/Maryland
                            "I'm a great believer in luck and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it."
                            Thomas Jefferson
                            JDP Maryland

Comment

34 Studebaker Street Rod (completed)
                              55 Speedster (in work)
                              63 Lark R2 (completed, 63K miles)
                              64 Daytona CNV (completed, 63K miles)
                              64 Avanti R2 (completed)
                              85 Avanti(blackout trim, 10K miles)
                              89 Avanti CNV (19K miles)

Comment

Working...