Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel Stabilizer and Restorer

Sounds too good to be true.

The company (e-mail address below) below advertises that its products will restore old gasoline. The product is called PRI-G (G for gasoline.) They also have PRI-D for diesel gas)

Has anyone used their products? Will this prevent the gummed up carburetor from old gas?

http://www.cariboo-net.com/y2knorth/pri.html

Paul R

I believe most of us use Sta-Bil fuel stabilizer. It will protect fuel from getting stale, but I don't think they make any outlandish claims about RESTORING anything, and their product actually works! [^]

I would beware of snake oil salesmen!

StudeRich
    Studebakers Northwest
    Ferndale, WA
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Thank you for your advice. I have used Stabil in the past, but I have several more cars that I did not, and I do not look forward to flushing out gas tanks.

I realize the claim seems tough to believe, but then again lots of people believe in stuff they can't see.

I was hoping to find someone who might have used it.

By the way - how many years does Stabil work for?

Paul

Comment

One would think that if you knew ahead of time it was going to be 'years', it would be best to get an electric fuel pump out and suck the tank dry.
        Just thinkin' out loud....
        Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by 55s

Thank you for your advice. I have used Stabil in the past, but I have several more cars that I did not, and I do not look forward to flushing out gas tanks.

I realize the claim seems tough to believe, but then again lots of people believe in stuff they can't see.

I was hoping to find someone who might have used it.

Paul
        http://community.webshots.com/user/deepnhock
        HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

quote:Originally posted by 55s

Paul
          I don't know for sure, Paul, but I have three cars (1964 Studebaker Daytona hardtop; 1971 Mustang convertible; 1971 Barracuda convertible) I have now owned over 30 years each. I've only driven the Mustang 870 miles in 33 years; it turned 17,000 as I drove it home and it now has 17,869 on it. I've used Sta-bil religiously in all the cars and never had a fuel-age-related issue in any of them. BP
          We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
          "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

I have used StaBil.
            Real old gasoline that has been maintained with StaBil will be better than the new style gasolines with Stabil. The new gasolines start to go bad in two to three months where the gasolines of old used to take many months up to a year or more to go bad.
            In the early '60s, I worked for a company that made fuel pump diaphrams (for Ford and others). Part of our testing was to soak the material in sour gas. At that time, you couldn't make sour gas in a few months. The fuel pumps would go bad in short order with the sour gas.
            On cars in storage, after the initial treatment of StaBil, I always add a little fresh StaBil at least once per year.
            I do NOT believe that anything can restore gasoline that has turned bad. For that, I recommend a drain and flush.

Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
            Studebaker enthusiast much longer
            Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

As far as I know, you can't re-stabilize fuel after it has broken down.
              As was mentioned above, most of use use Sta-bil with a lot of success. I add Sta-bil after I fill up my gas tank in both my Studebaker and Model A Ford. I've never had a problem with the gas fowling up my carburetors. When I start the cars after their Winter's rest, they start right up.
              Rog

'59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
              Smithtown,NY
              '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
              Smithtown,NY
              Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

Working...
              X