Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Plant scene photo you will want to see

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Plant scene photo you will want to see



    I recall reading and seeing on the Newsgroup recently about the razing of the old Machine Shop (Building 72). Inquiries were made re the body conveyor and the guard houses. The photo above is relevant to that discussion. It is looking east on Sample Street with the old Newman-Altman Standard Surplus building on the left and the Engineering Building at the right with the conveyor going along the rooftop. This photo was taken late in the 1952 production year and the bodies being transported by truck are '52's. The conveyor was 5310 feet long (approx 2055' going south and 3255' going north). It cost $625,000 to build. It was 17 feet wide and 10 feet high and constructed of galvanized metal over steel framework. There was a walkway inside for repair and maintenance. It opened in late 1952 shortly after this photo was taken. The guardhouses on either side are shown with only the extreme northeast corner of Building 72 with the cornerstone date 1928 visible. Lots of interesting detail including the M17 truck with the 5th wheel etc.

    Richard Quinn
    editor: Antique Studebaker Review
    Richard Quinn
    Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

  • #2
    quote:Originally posted by Studebaker Wheel
    The conveyor was 5310 feet long (approx 2055' going south and 3255' going north). It cost $625,000 to build. It was 17 feet wide and 10 feet high and constructed of galvanized metal over steel framework. There was a walkway inside for repair and maintenance. It opened in late 1952 shortly after this photo was taken.
    There was a reprinted article on that overhead conveyor in TW in late '78 with that photo in it. The reprint was from Automotive Industries, and Studebaker made it appear the '53's were so 'revolutionary' they couldn't be made without it.[:0]

    Craig







    Craig

    Comment


    • #3
      Great picture, Richard! Does your collection contain negatives of some of these original shots?

      In all your photos, what's the most interesting thing you've discovered? I'll bet it was found through a magnifying glass.

      Western Washington, USA

      Comment


      • #4
        Note the large Studebaker Wheel on top of the Engineering Building; it was yet to be covered over when this photo was taken. Did Studebaker ever cover it as part of remodeling/"modernization," or was that done by subsequent owners/occupants after Studebaker vacated the building? BP
        We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

        Ayn Rand:
        "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

        G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

        Comment


        • #5
          quote:Originally posted by BobPalma

          Note the large Studebaker Wheel on top of the Engineering Building; it was yet to be covered over when this photo was taken. Did Studebaker ever cover it as part of remodeling/"modernization," or was that done by subsequent owners/occupants after Studebaker vacated the building? BP
          That is a surprise to me you're asking that Bob!![:0] I thought you were THERE in late 1963!! Or were you too preoccupied looking IN the windows instead of looking UP?

          Craig

          Comment


          • #6
            quote:Originally posted by 8E45E

            quote:Originally posted by BobPalma

            Note the large Studebaker Wheel on top of the Engineering Building; it was yet to be covered over when this photo was taken. Did Studebaker ever cover it as part of remodeling/"modernization," or was that done by subsequent owners/occupants after Studebaker vacated the building? BP
            That is a surprise to me you're asking that Bob!![:0] I thought you were THERE in late 1963!! Or were you too preoccupied looking IN the windows instead of looking UP?

            Craig
            Yep! 'Walked right under that sign a dozen times those summers of 1961-1962-1963, but never looked up.

            Truth be known, George and I were more interested in Studebaker's future than Studebaker's history at that point, Craig.

            (Besides, we were probably on our way across Sample Street to Studebaker Salvage at the time, to stock up on 50-cent 1961 Lark tail light lenses and such!) BP
            We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

            Ayn Rand:
            "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

            G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

            Comment


            • #7
              Ah the memories. I was 16 in 1952 and spent some time waiting at that stoplight when on my way to the Studebaker factory salvage store (later Newman Altman). FYI, Studebaker salvage was open to the public and sold all sort of goodies that were either line rejects or discontinued parts this was a goldmine for us local teenage rodders

              [img][/img]
              34 STUDEBAKER STREET ROD
              55 SPEEDSTER (in work)
              63 R2 LARK (in work)
              85 AVANTI (9K miles)

              34 Studebaker Street Rod (completed)
              55 Speedster (in work)
              63 Lark R2 (completed, 63K miles)
              64 Daytona CNV (completed, 63K miles)
              64 Avanti R2 (completed)
              85 Avanti(blackout trim, 10K miles)
              89 Avanti CNV (19K miles)

              Comment


              • #8
                Richard your perspective and pictures are incredible. I appreciate all of the insight you provide and the pictures you post. This one is another outstanding one from your collection. I just wish I possessed 1/3 of the knowledge that you have on the latter years of Studebaker. Thanks for this image and all that you post. Look forward to seeing you in a couple of weeks.
                sigpicSee you in the future as I write about our past

                Comment


                • #9
                  I don't recall Studebaker Salvage, I only go back to Standard Surplus in the late 50's.`

                  JDP/Maryland
                  "I'm a great believer in luck and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it."
                  Thomas Jefferson
                  JDP Maryland

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    quote:Originally posted by JDP

                    I don't recall Studebaker Salvage, I only go back to Standard Surplus in the late 50's.`

                    JDP
                    John: Are you sure you aren't confusing the two and you were really at Salvage instead of Surplus?

                    At least in the 1960-1964 period, Salvage was located right where Standard Surplus was before the building was torn down, whereas Standard Surplus was located out on Prairie(?) Avenue.

                    As a resident of the area, I can't believe you didn't frequent Studebaker Salvage many times..it defined heaven for the consummate CASO! BP
                    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

                    Ayn Rand:
                    "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

                    G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      BTW, does that picture of the bodies without rear fenders installed answer the he question about the fender bead being painted/unpainted ?

                      JDP/Maryland
                      "I'm a great believer in luck and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it."
                      Thomas Jefferson
                      JDP Maryland

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Great picture. Would anyone have a picture showing The Lark Inn,which was directly East of the engineering building? I see a building in the posted picture,but I am wondering if another closer picture exists.I can remember the place,but I would love to see a picture.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Could be, it was a long time ago. I started buying parts in 1958.

                          JDP/Maryland
                          "I'm a great believer in luck and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it."
                          Thomas Jefferson
                          JDP Maryland

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            quote:Originally posted by ChampTrucking

                            Great picture. Would anyone have a picture showing The Lark Inn,which was directly East of the engineering building? I see a building in the posted picture,but I am wondering if another closer picture exists.I can remember the place,but I would love to see a picture.
                            Champ: The Lark Inn wouldn't be visible in this photo. True, it was east of The Engineering Building, but it was also about a block south of it, along Franklin Street.

                            ('Come to think of it, it wouldn't even be named The Lark Inn just yet! That wouldn't happen until later in the decade, when the 1959 Lark's success gave South Bend "Lark Fever!") BP
                            We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

                            Ayn Rand:
                            "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

                            G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Can anyone read what's on the side of the white Willy's panel truck on the left? Some firm doing business with Studebaker or just "civilian" traffic?

                              63 Avanti R1 2788
                              1914 Stutz Bearcat
                              (George Barris replica)

                              Washington State
                              63 Avanti R1 2788
                              1914 Stutz Bearcat
                              (George Barris replica)

                              Washington State

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X