Looking for a Transtar Radio

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for a Transtar Radio

Well, as many of you know, I have a '57 Transtar. Having done a little travelling in the old boy, I have discovered it would be useful to have a radio for company, traffic reports, etc. while on the road.
    I have it registered here in BC as a "Collector" vehicle for which our government has very strict rules. When it comes to radios, I am not allowed to have installed in the truck any type of radio receiver, tape/CD player etc. that was not [u]standard equipment</u> in a 1957 Studebaker truck.[:0]

As you can guess, that leaves me a limited selection of choices. Since my truck did have a radio installed earlier in it's life, an install of the stock Transtar radio will not be difficult. So, I am asking if anyone out there has a complete working Transtar (Motorola) AM radio (AC-2971) or possibly knows of someone that may be willing to part with same. [8D]

Now being a CASO (but also a realist), I am prepared to pay a reasonable sum of money for a decent radio, but I'm no JP Getty either!

If you have such an animal or a lead I can follow-up, please e-mail me at "haydenmjATshaw.ca" (spelled out "at" to avoid the spammers).

Thanks in advance for your assistance. [^]

<h5>Mark
    '57 Transtar Deluxe
    Vancouver Island

Are you planning to attend the NW Overdrive Tour in Parksville, BC
    May 23 & 24, 2009?
    </h5>
    Mark Hayden
    '66 Commander
    Zone Coordinator
    Pacific Can-Am Zone

No doubt you could have the guts converted to Am-Fm with cassette or CD input and none would be the wiser.
    "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    sigpic'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée"

Comment

You'll pay maybe $300-$400 for a decent Transtar radio.

JDP/Maryland
      "I'm a great believer in luck and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it."
      Thomas Jefferson
      JDP Maryland

Comment

Brad - You are correct, but I would still need the "box" to begin with.

John - Yup, I was figuring around $300 or so for a decent one.

<h5>Mark
        '57 Transtar Deluxe
        Vancouver Island

May 23 & 24, 2009?
        </h5>
        Mark Hayden
        '66 Commander
        Zone Coordinator
        Pacific Can-Am Zone

Comment

Hi to all. I do not have a radio, but being fairly new here, I sometimes sit for a while tring to decode some of the abbreviations used in different topics. I have to admit that I just can't come up with what a CASO might be? There have been others in the past that had me stumped as well. Is there an explanation of these somewhere? Thanks, Dave.

Dave Pink
          Victoria, Australia

1916 SF Roadster
          1925 ER Tourer
          1925 Panel Delivery
          1953 Champion Sedan
          1957 Golden Hawk

Studebaker Car Club Of Australia Website
          http://www.studebakercarclub.net
          Dave Pink
          Victoria, Australia

1916 SF Roadster
          1925 ER Tourer
          1925 Panel Delivery
          1953 Champion Sedan
          1957 Golden Hawk
          1971 Avanti II

Studebaker Car Club Of Australia Website
          http://www.studebakercarclub.net

Comment

Hi Dave,there are a couple posts about the different abbreviations.CASO is Cheap A** Studebaker Owner.Steve
            sigpic

Comment

quote:Originally posted by davepink53
              I have to admit that I just can't come up with what a CASO might be? There have been others in the past that had me stumped as well. Is there an explanation of these somewhere? Thanks, Dave.

Dave Pink
              Victoria, Australia
              CASO = Cheap a**ed Studebaker Owner.
              I think there was a thread some time back with the offical SDC Forum Decoder Dictionary (SDC FDD)

<h5>Mark
              '57 Transtar Deluxe
              Vancouver Island

May 23 & 24, 2009?
              </h5>
              Mark Hayden
              '66 Commander
              Zone Coordinator
              Pacific Can-Am Zone

Comment

I don't see how they can stop you from having a small "boom-box" AM/FM/Tape/CD player... and just setting it on the seat beside you..

Ray

Specializing in Studebaker Restoration
                Ray

www.raylinrestoration.com
                Specializing in Studebaker Restoration

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Studeman

I don't see how they can stop you from having a small "boom-box" AM/FM/Tape/CD player... and just setting it on the seat beside you..

Ray
                  I could do that Ray, but I'd prefer to have an installed radio if I can find one.

<h5>Mark
                  '57 Transtar Deluxe
                  Vancouver Island

May 23 & 24, 2009?
                  </h5>
                  Mark Hayden
                  '66 Commander
                  Zone Coordinator
                  Pacific Can-Am Zone

Comment

Does anyone have a picture of a correct Transtar radio? I found a guy that fixes them more than reasonably and if I can dig one out around here, I'll be glad to pass it along to you Mark and send you my radio guy's number. There is also a TW's radio repair advertiser that will keep it looking stock and enable it to be FM, too. An Ipod port could be hidden and easily used as well.

Comment

Here's a picture of the Transtar Motorola radio... this one is from the 1959 accessories catalog. Thanks for the offer.

<h5>Mark
                      '57 Transtar Deluxe
                      Vancouver Island

May 23 & 24, 2009?
                      </h5>
                      Mark Hayden
                      '66 Commander
                      Zone Coordinator
                      Pacific Can-Am Zone

Comment

I took this picture on one of Guido's trucks.

Leonard Shepherd
                        http://leonardshepherd.com/

Comment

Mark,

As Leonard points out, I have one in my '57 E-40. I had not planned on selling it, but drop me a line off the Forum and we can talk. It also has a speaker that you can see to the right of the picture.

Gary

Guido Salvage - "Where rust is beautiful" and real Studebaker horsepower lives

See pictures here: http://community.webshots.com/user/GuidoSalvage

Hiding and preserving Studebakers in Richmond, Goochland & Louisa, Va.
                          Join me in removing narcissists, trolls, self annoited "experts" and general idiots via the Ignore button.

The official SDC Forum heel nipper ���

�Middle age is when your broad mind and narrow waist begin to change places.� E. Joseph Cossman

For every mile of road, there are 2 miles of ditch. ���

"All lies matter - fight the kleptocracy"

Comment

Hi Mark, I have a transtar raido in my 59 pickup, it does not look like the one you pictured. If you would like I can get a picture of it when I get home. Your 57 may be differnt.

Comment

Gary - E-mail sent.

Terry - I would be interested in seeing that - thanks.

<h5>Mark
                              '57 Transtar Deluxe
                              Vancouver Island

May 23 & 24, 2009?
                              </h5>
                              Mark Hayden
                              '66 Commander
                              Zone Coordinator
                              Pacific Can-Am Zone

Comment

Working...
                              X