Any news about the Frua Larks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any news about the Frua Larks?

Does anybody know if any progress has been made in the last few years as far as restoring the Frua Larks? I haven't heard a thing about them in a few years now. If they were Dick Steinkamp's they would have been fully restored 2 or three times over by now!
    "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

My friend Pat owns them, but the restorations costs are holding him back I'd bet. Although Pat is pretty well off, the cost to custom make all the parts is astronomical. They are now at least in dry storage.

JDP/Maryland
    "I'm a great believer in luck and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it."
    Thomas Jefferson
    JDP Maryland

Comment

Thanks JDP. I was hoping for better news, but hopefully we'll all get to see them bright and shiny again.
      "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

At 100K or so per car it may be a long wait. If Dick wants to knock them out, I'll see what I can do.

JDP/Maryland
        "I'm a great believer in luck and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it."
        Thomas Jefferson
        JDP Maryland

Comment

If Pat is well off but doesn't want to spend the money to restore them, has he considered selling them to someone that wants, and has the means, to restore them? Or is it just that no one else wants to bother with them?

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
          Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

What's a Frua Lark?

Comment

What's a 100K?

'50 Champion, 1 family owner

Comment

quote:Originally posted by jeryst

What's a Frua Lark?
                http://www.histomobile.com/dvd_histo.../108/11415.asp

Pat Drnec owns two of 'em, there was a bit of discussion either here or on the newsgroup when he purchased them. They did look like, um, challenging restorations.

http://homepage.mac.com/pdrnec/PhotoAlbum53.html

nate

--
                55 Commander Starlight
                http://members.cox.net/njnagel
                --
                55 Commander Starlight
                http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

I'd bet he would be happy to do that if someone wants the two very rough cars for the money he has in them.(about 30K?)

JDP/Maryland
                  Thomas Jefferson
                  JDP Maryland

Comment

Jeryst- I did a search for "frua" and came up with this:

http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...archTerms=frua

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
                    Parish, central NY 13131

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

This looks like a case of where rare is not necessarily desirable. I can see why a person might like to see these cars in a museum because of their historical value. I can also appreciate why a person would rather spend their money on a car they could drive and enjoy. Lots of us would like to see them restored. Few of us would like to be the ones responsible for doing the restoration.

1952 Champion Starlight, 1962 Daytona, both w/overdrive.Searcy,Arkansas
                      "I may be lazy, but I'm not shiftless."
                      "In the heart of Arkansas."
                      Searcy, Arkansas
                      1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
                      1952 2R pickup

Comment

A pair of non-running sedans? I'll give $400 for ea. [)].

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                        Tom - Mulberry, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2125.60)

Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
                        1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

You made my point beautifully! What wonderful insight. [)]

1952 Champion Starlight, 1962 Daytona, both w/overdrive.Searcy,Arkansas
                          "I may be lazy, but I'm not shiftless."
                          "In the heart of Arkansas."
                          Searcy, Arkansas
                          1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
                          1952 2R pickup

Comment

Pat is a buddy of mine also. Here are a few pictures I took of the car a few years ago at Pat's warehouse in LA...

I'm not the guy to restore these. I'm not rich enough, and they don't turn my crank enough. They are super rare, interesting, and I'd love to see them restored...but I'm not the guy.

I think JP's estimate of $100k per car is low. In addition to all the "normal" restoration items (rust repair, body, paint, interior, plating, mechanical), you would be MAKING all the broken and missing parts...there is no source for them other than making them.

Dick Steinkamp
                            Bellingham, WA

Dick Steinkamp
                            Bellingham, WA

Comment

quote:Originally posted by 52-fan

This looks like a case of where rare is not necessarily desirable.
                              Unfortunately, that's the case for a large percentage of Studes. The upside is, that's part of the fun of Studes for me- enjoying something unusual without breaking the bank. The downside shows when you want to sell I knew that going in, so it's no issue for me; but too many times we see people wanting to sell an inherited car or the like ending up offended, disappointed, and frustrated.

My issue is how far to go restoring one. In the past I've done Camaros, Malibus, Chargers, etc. and this wasn't a big problem- you can go a long way before you're upside down. Not so easy with Studes...

That will always be an ongoing battle.

Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

Working...
                              X