Any interest in a '64 wagon?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any interest in a '64 wagon?

There's a '64 (I think) "Commander" station wagon just rusting away in a junkyard nearby, and I wondered whether it has any resale value, and how much? I'm told it runs, but it has some pretty bad rust along the top. The interior is complete.

If it's any help, it has a yellow-painted V-8, with the alternator on the passenger side. I'm told it's a '64, but I'm not really familiar with Studebakers, so any help in identifying models would help!

If this has any potential, I'll buy it and do enough work to make it driveable and cleaned up for further restoration.

dwalter......

Congratulations on your first post! We would love to help you but require a tad bit more information. A picture (or pictures) would be of immense help in identifying your find and evaluating its condition. If none are available, look in the members picture area to see if you spot the same model. While you list no location in your profile, rusting from the top down is usually indicative of exposure to salt air.

As in any car restoration project there are just three words (just like real estate) condition, condition, condition. If it is good, you have a winner, if it is poor, I hope you are rich or have a strong sentimental attachment to the car.

Awaiting your response....

Decimal Dude for the Forum at large

Guido Salvage - "Where rust is beautiful" and real Studebaker horsepower lives

See pictures here: http://community.webshots.com/user/GuidoSalvage

Hiding and preserving Studebakers in Richmond, Goochland & Louisa, Va.
    Join me in removing narcissists, trolls, self annoited "experts" and general idiots via the Ignore button.

The official SDC Forum heel nipper ���

�Middle age is when your broad mind and narrow waist begin to change places.� E. Joseph Cossman

For every mile of road, there are 2 miles of ditch. ���

"All lies matter - fight the kleptocracy"

Comment

Hi,Welcome to the forum.There are many here working on similar cars so if its cheap and you have the ability I would nab it for parts anyway.The engine could be a 259 or a 289,you would need the letter code from the start of the engine number to determine.There are several posts here that will tell you where to find and how to decipher them.Get the body code and number also,I THINK it will tell you the year.It is on a plate attached to the firewall under the hood on the passenger? side.Is it a sliding roof? Does it have a rack or third seat? If it has air that stuff is worth nabbing also.If its rusted through the roof it probably has little resale value as a whole,if its just surface stuff with good floors,frame,cowl,pillars,etc... it might be worthwhile.Post some pics if possible and someone can tell you more about it.Steve(sorry,didnt want to log Tracy out and retype this)

Can't wait to drive my V-8!
      '63 Lark

Comment

dwalter, welcome to the forums. First - where IS this junkyard nearby? You don't have to be specific - it's just that location CAN be a deciding factor in someone's interest. It's very expensive to have cars shipped or even parts of cars shipped nowdays. If this wagon needed quite a bit of help to make it reasonably roadworthy, I doubt there'd be a whole lot of interest in it. But of course, as Gary has said, condition is everything. Of course, equipment could add some value to it.
        If you go look at it again - you should be able to see a stamped metal tag behind the engine - near the R/H hood hinge. Reading us the first line of that tag would allow us to precisely identify what year and model it is.

You talked about rust on the roof.... well, there's varying degrees of rust. If it's truly cancerous rust where it's rotted thru in places, I'd say it isn't worth bothering with. If it's only surface rust, that's not so bad. But quite frankly, it would have to be a pretty solid and complete example to warrant paying more than a couple hundred bucks for.

Miscreant Studebaker nut in California's central valley.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
        1960 Larkvertible V8
        1958 Provincial wagon
        1953 Commander coupe
        1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Here are some pics.

http://community.webshots.com/album/...host=community

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Mr.Biggs

dwalter, welcome to the forums. First - where IS this junkyard nearby? You don't have to be specific - it's just that location CAN be a deciding factor in someone's interest.

You talked about rust on the roof.... well, there's varying degrees of rust. If it's truly cancerous rust where it's rotted thru in places, I'd say it isn't worth bothering with.
            It's on the Central Coast (California), with cancerous roof rust. So, it should just be left there to rot away? Seems like a shame.

Comment

Not sure if my "webshots" pics work, so here's another attempt:

Comment

quote:Originally posted by dwalterfrades

Here are some pics.
                Now we are getting somewhere! Looks to be a '64 Commander with power brakes. I can't tell if the rust around the drip rail is just scaling or it has gone all the way through. As a sliding roof wagon it may have rear rot issues, but the quarters and tailgate look pretty good. I way say this one may warrant hauling out plus it even has a battery (but no hold down ).

Good thing is is in CA with all those VW's for Nate to look at.

Join me in removing narcissists, trolls, self annoited "experts" and general idiots via the Ignore button.

�Middle age is when your broad mind and narrow waist begin to change places.� E. Joseph Cossman

Comment

Welcome!

That's a great parts car. The roof rack is generic, not a Stude item. It has power brakes, so it may have disc brakes, also desirable.

Probably not worth restoring if you'relooking to make money; but it should be saved from the crusher!

Keep us posted on what becomes of the old girl.

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
                  Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

You can punch your finger through at places along the roof rail, sadly. The owner told me it ran recently, and the top window cranks. The floor isn't rusted through, as far as I can tell, and the interior appears to be restorable. I only saw the car while looking around the yard, so I don't know if I should spring for $1,500 to fix it up a bit, or let it go.

I'm more a Rambler and Dart guy (got enough work with those), but I thought maybe someone in the Studebaker camp might let me know if this is a gem in the rough....

quote:Originally posted by Guido

quote:Originally posted by dwalterfrades

Here are some pics.
                    Now we are getting somewhere! Looks to be a '64 Commander with power brakes. I can't tell if the rust around the drip rail is just scaling or it has gone all the way through. As a sliding roof wagon it may have rear rot issues, but the quarters and tailgate look pretty good. I way say this one may warrant hauling out plus it even has a battery (but no hold down ).

Comment

At 1500 run away.Steve
                      sigpic

Comment

Looks like the left windshield post is rotted out at upper end. Rest of sheet metal looks pretty durn good. I see a power steering pump too! Gee, even at minimum scrap price it's gotta be worth $300 doesn't it?

Dwain G.

Comment

I uploaded a few more pics.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by wolfie

At 1500 run away.Steve
                            As parts (e.g, should I disassemble?) or driveable unit?

Comment

The keys are still in it! Load up the back with any loose scrap in the area and drive it home. Also, I also think someone was looking for a trailer hitch recently.

Comment

Working...
                              X