rear - swap or not

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rear - swap or not

I HAVE A DANA 27 IN MY 53 C/K i have a ford 8" that will fit but i'd prefer keeping it all studebaker are their any studebaker parts dealers within 75 miles of harrisburg, pa that has rear ends i'm considering putting in a dana 44 if i can find one locally the dana 27 needs new drums, slave cycinders etc, plus it has the 9" drums and inadequate for someone (me} who has always beleived that tires were made to spin thanks

I've been challenged before for recommending this swap, and I may be again, but that doesn't bother me. The only disadvantage is that it isn't a Stude part. Advantages are you get flanged axles, better brakes, better cruising gear ratio, and (depending on what it came from) a bit narrower assembly to allow bigger wheels/tires to fit inside the fenders.
    However this isn't a good choice if you need a durable rear end for racing or other general beating.

Dwain G.

Comment

I think the ford 8" would not make a bad swap, actually. JDP might have a good Dana 44 for you though (Annapolis, MD) Harrisburg is not a bad drive from there.

Keep in mind you'll need a longer rear driveshaft section for a 44 rear. I have one that you could copy (out of a '57 Golden Hawk) but it is not for sale. Or you could just take yours and the length specs to a good drivetrain shop and have them weld a new longer tube in it.

nate

--
      55 Commander Starlight
      http://members.cox.net/njnagel
      --
      55 Commander Starlight
      http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

Try the search function. If you don't find fifty threads on why/why not to put in a Dana 44, I'd be surprised.

thnx, jack vines

PackardV8
        PackardV8

Comment

Did you find a rearend yet?
          I have a dana 44--3.31 ratio-- drum to drum I can deliver to Lancaster.
          Let me know if you are interested
          THANKS
          PAUL LAUSCH

Comment

Have you already converted your fronts to disc brakes?
            You should do that before converting the rear to disc brakes (Ford 8")...
            'Twerme...
            I'd pop for a good used Dana 44 out of a later Stude and spend the rest of the bucks on a Turner disc brake kit.
            Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by Alexander Feiman

I HAVE A DANA 27 IN MY 53 C/K i have a ford 8" that will fit but i'd prefer keeping it all studebaker are their any studebaker parts dealers within 75 miles of harrisburg, pa that has rear ends i'm considering putting in a dana 44 if i can find one locally the dana 27 needs new drums, slave cycinders etc, plus it has the 9" drums and inadequate for someone (me} who has always beleived that tires were made to spin thanks
            http://community.webshots.com/user/deepnhock
            HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

yes i do have a disc conversion kit and have sent Paul an e-mail stating not finding a dana 44 yet
              thanks
              alf

Comment

Working...
              X