Hello! New Guy Here

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello! New Guy Here

Hey folks. As can be seen, my name is Rande, I don't presently own a Studebaker. I live in southeastern MN. Let me go on for a bit here.

This past weekend my friend, Jeff, and I were in northern Wisconsin and came across a fellow with a bunch of old cars around his place. We stopped in and talked with him for some time and looked over what was at this particular place (he has more at another place). In the course of this conversation, he mentioned that he was getting ready to sell a bunch off as he is now in his late 70's and realizes he can't restore everything.

Jeff was talking to him about a GTO and a Satellite he had there and as they were talking, we were walking past a Studebaker. It was an early to mid-50s Commander or a similar model. Please excuse the vagueness, I'm not yet up on the different models and we didn't have much time to stay there. I mentioned when its time to sell that one, call me (we left contact info and made sure he knew we were serious, not just talkers).

He then said he had a much nicer one, a driver that he was going to check over to be sure its good to go. He did not say just what year it was. He and Jeff were talking over the cars Jeff was interested in and I didn't want to butt in just then.

I've always liked the look of these cars and am enthused at the possibilty of getting one. I will have to wait a month or so before I will be in a position, financially, to buy it. But having said that, I have no idea what it looks like or what he might want for it. I am here to learn more about them.

Understand that this is all very preliminary and, with my luck, may not happen (but fingers are crossed). So, I will be doing a lot of reading before I start asking a lot of questions.

I also have found a 60's Daytona 2 door hardtop with buckets and it seems to be in very good condition. That one likely will not be inexpensive but it is not a restored car so there may be hope yet.

Its only money, right?

Welcome to the madness!!!

StudeDave '57 [8D]
    San Diego, Ca.
    San Diego County SDC

www.studebakersandiego.com

'54 Commander Regal 4dr 'Ruby'
    '57 Parkview 'Betsy' (she's a 2dr wagon...)
    '57 Commander DeLuxe 2dr 'Baby'
    '57 Champion Custom 2dr 'Jewel'
    '58 Packard sedan 'Cleo'
    '65 Cruiser 'Sweet Pea'

Part owner of the one and only
    '55 PROTOTYPE panel van
    StudeDave '57
    US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
    SDC Member since 1985

past President
    Whatcom County Chapter SDC
    San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
    San Diego Chapter SDC
    North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

Welcome to the forum. Daytona hardtops are some of my favorites. The first Daytona hardtop was in 1962 and they went thru 1964. Do you know which year the one you saw?

If you don't know, we can help.

Leonard Shepherd
      http://leonardshepherd.com/

Comment

Hello Rande from one of many fellow Minnesotans on here.
        Mono mind in a stereo world

Comment

Welcome aboard. I've got a '63 Daytona hardtop, and just parted another one out. Cool cars, for sure. [8D]

Don't be shy around here.

Matthew Burnette
          Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

Thanks guys.

I am not sure what year that Daytona is, its been a while since I looked at it. I'll look around the net and see if I can pin it down. I won't be able to get out there (its only about 100 miles or so) to look it over again for a couple of weeks.

Madness. I know madness, I'm also a full size Jeep nut (Wagoneers, Gladiators, big Cherokees). I can talk about madness.

I presently own a 1966 Mustang, a 1937 IH D2 pickup, and a 1965 Jeep Gladiator. The Mustang is nice and just recently completed the Hot Rod Power Tour. The other two are awaiting work this winter. My brother also owns a few oldies as does my friend Jeff. He has a bunch! Car nutz for sure.

Comment

Welcome, Rande!

You can get a feel for what different models look like by checking out the "Members' Studebaker Pictures" Forum Page.

When you do get to look at an object of your desire, make a note of the body tag numbers. The tag is on the firewall/cowl just under the hood on the passenger side. With this information we can determine the precise year, model and trim package.

Good hunting! And again, WELCOME!

Brad Johnson
              Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
              '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight
              "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
              Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
              sigpic'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée"

Comment

Yes Welcome Rande
                It's okay about not owning a Stude, at the present time....
                neither do I...... This is more than a madness, it is a real
                uncurable diease!

glen
                Nowhere, AZ
                "Freedom Through Vigilance"

Comment

Welcome aboard Rande! The more keeping Studes alive the merrier!

Pat

Pat Dilling
                  Olivehurst, CA
                  Custom '53 Starlight aka Stu Cool

Pat Dilling
                  Olivehurst, CA
                  Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

Welcome to the forum Rande.I like them all some a little more.
                    I think you will be happy with the one you pick to buy.There are
                    a lot of people on this group that can help you.

Lenny
                    Atlanta Ga.

Comment

Rande-

Welcome to the forum. I think that you will find that this is one of the most helpful groups around. I have been asking questions for several months now and always get useful information for making decisions about redoing my 1950 Champion. I really do not know a lot about Studebakers except for the 50 which I recently totally dismantled and just got back from the sandblaster last week. He coated the frame and "running gears" as my grandad called them with Chassis Saver along with the bottom of the body, firewall, wheel welds and trunk. Before I sold it in 1992 it was red. When I bought it back in 2007 it was primered and had sat under a downspout or something and had lots of rust under the dash. I have three body shop reps coming (At different times I Hope!) to give me ideas and estimates on finishing it. Enough about me and mine. Hope you get the car you want and keep us posted.

Jimmie

quote:Originally posted by Rande

Thanks guys.

I am not sure what year that Daytona is, its been a while since I looked at it. I'll look around the net and see if I can pin it down. I won't be able to get out there (its only about 100 miles or so) to look it over again for a couple of weeks.

Madness. I know madness, I'm also a full size Jeep nut (Wagoneers, Gladiators, big Cherokees). I can talk about madness.

I presently own a 1966 Mustang, a 1937 IH D2 pickup, and a 1965 Jeep Gladiator. The Mustang is nice and just recently completed the Hot Rod Power Tour. The other two are awaiting work this winter. My brother also owns a few oldies as does my friend Jeff. He has a bunch! Car nutz for sure.

1950 CHAMPION -ORANGE COUNTY, INDIANA
                      I'VE SAVED SO MUCH DAYLIGHT THAT THERE'S NO DARK TO SLEEP IN ANYMORE!
                      sigpicJimmie
                      Orange County, Indiana
                      1950 CHAMPION -ORANGE COUNTY, INDIANA

Comment

Rande, as a Lark guy I'm pulling for the Daytona, but you'll be happy no matter what Stude you acquire! Welcome to the forum, and ask all the questions you like. Everyone's a newbie sometime or another!

[img=left]http://members.cox.net/clarknovak/lark.gif[/img=left]

Clark in San Diego
                        '63 F2/Lark Standard
                        http://studeblogger.blogspot.com
                        www.studebakersandiego.com

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Welcome to the forum Rande. This should be a fun ride!

John and Tracy Smith

http://1955studebaker.blogspot.com/

Comment

Welcome to the Forum Rande... sooner or later you'll discover you really need a truck!

<h5>Mark
                            '57 Transtar Deluxe
                            Vancouver Island

Are you planning to attend the NW Overdrive Tour in Parksville, BC
                            May 23 & 24, 2009?
                            </h5>
                            Mark Hayden
                            '66 Commander
                            Zone Coordinator
                            Pacific Can-Am Zone

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Mark57

Welcome to the Forum Rande... sooner or later you'll discover you really need a truck!
                              Welcome aboard, in response to the above quote, you'll either end up with a truck. OR ONE OF EACH MODEL. AAAAAHHHHHH[:0][:0][:0]

Chop Stu
                              61 Lark

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X