58 Scotsman

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 58 Scotsman

A member of our SDC here in Washington has purchased a 58 Scotsman from out of state and plans to drive it home. In order to get a licence to bring it back with he needs a weight for the car. Does anyone have the weight for a Scotsman or know of a place that we can get it? He needs the information ASAP so he can have it registered prior to going after it next week.

According to the brochure (sheet) the 2dr. Scotsman weighs 2680
    and the station wagon weighs 2875. I don't have the 4dr. sheet.

Leonard Shepherd
    http://leonardshepherd.com/

Comment

When I had to renew my plates on 'Sweet Pea' (she's registered in Washington) they wanted paperwork from a certified scale. Nothing else I found would work for them!!!!
      Here are the numbers from a chart that was in Collectible Automobile, October '92:
      • Scotsman 2dr sedan- 2740
      • Scotsman 4dr sedan- 2695
      • Scotsman 2dr wagon- 2870

Good luck!!!

StudeDave '57 [8D]
      San Diego, Ca.
      San Diego County SDC

www.studebakersandiego.com

'54 Commander Regal 4dr 'Ruby'
      '57 Parkview 'Betsy' (she's a 2dr wagon...)
      '57 Commander DeLuxe 2dr 'Baby'
      '57 Champion Custom 2dr 'Jewel'
      '58 Packard sedan 'Cleo'
      '65 Cruiser 'Sweet Pea'

Part owner of the one and only
      '55 PROTOTYPE panel van
      StudeDave '57
      US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
      SDC Member since 1985

past President
      Whatcom County Chapter SDC
      San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
      San Diego Chapter SDC
      North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply. We will check with the powers that be and see if this will do. If anyone can add to it I would appreciate it. There is power in numbers.

Comment

Leonard beat me to it!!! However~ his numbers appear to be for 1957, mine are for 1958- coming once again from the article mentioned in my first post...

StudeDave '57 [8D]
          StudeDave '57
          US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
          SDC Member since 1985

past President
          Whatcom County Chapter SDC
          San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
          San Diego Chapter SDC
          North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

The requirements vary widely from state to sate; ask their DMV.

I've sold several cars out-of-state. Here, the customer faxes proof of liability insurance on the purchased vehicle to the local DMV. The DMV issues a temporary In-Transit Permit. It's a paper tag that's good for 30 days; gets you home, then you license it in your home state as usual.

I'd look into an in-transit permit.

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
            Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"It was the last chance for Studebaker to turn things around. The company was down to its last bullet, and this new small car was it. They called it the Lark"

Comment

quote:Leonard beat me to it!!! However~ his numbers appear to be for 1957, mine are for 1958- coming once again from the article mentioned in my first post...

StudeDave '57
              YOU'RE RIGHT, MINE ARE 57 [B)]

Leonard Shepherd
              http://leonardshepherd.com/

Comment

Sometimes the County Courthouse DOL people know more and are helpful, other times your local Wash. DOL certified License store is WAY better even with a small fee! I did 2 at the local "store" in the last 8 mos. one asked me the weight, I guessed, the other entered N/A, I think the older ones do not even matter and may be exempt like the smog BS and Insurance is in Whatcom County!

StudeRich
                Studebakers Northwest
                Ferndale, WA
                StudeRich
                Second Generation Stude Driver,
                Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Thank you all for your information. I will print this and give it to him. Hope they will go with this at least until he gets it home and can get a certified weight slip is that is what will be needed.

Comment

Gordon, I tried to send you an email about this subject. I have no idea if the forum email is working or not?

Dwain G.

Comment

I received your e-mail and the attachment which was exactly what was needed. Thank you very much and a big thanks to everyone else. This is a great group and answers to questions are quick and to the point.

Comment

Working...
                      X