Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PlainBrownR2
    replied
    To provide an example of a garbage train, and some of you will probably recognize it right away, this is a train with garbage cars:
    In the days of old essentially they were modified boxcars for garbage shipments. According to this line, these cars are loaded with solid waste for garbage to energy power plants. Apparently they have come a ways as they do use intermodal equipment to haul trash:
    These are the containers I'm thinking of. Far as I know when they travel odds are, something is in it:
    I dunno how many of them are empty when shipped, but I know the product has been delivered(or awaiting to be received) when they look like this:
    As far as what happens to the containers, well here they may end up getting used for something else, transport or none. I know a few of the guys I know that did just that, buy a couple of containers to use as a garage, sheds, or storing other materials. They also get stored in massive stacks in intermodal yards around the Chicago area. Take a walk through one of those, it's mindblowing the number of empty containers stacked like empty boxes, and somewhat freaky at the same time.

[img=left]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/My%201950%202r5%20Studebaker%20Pickup%20with%20turbocharger/P1000137-1.jpg[/img=left]
    [img=right]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/DSC00005.jpg?t=1171153370[/img=right]
    [IMG=left]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/Ex%20Studebaker%20Plant%20Locomotive/P1000578-1.jpg[/IMG=left]

Leave a comment:

• wolfie
    replied
    40' cans here are available for around 1500-2000 with free delivery within a 50 mile radius usually.When dad was still with us he sold classic motorcycles and parts to guys from England and Germany that would buy these "cans" and ship their stuff back in them.That was in the early 90's and they could buy one for less than return shipping then.They have about doubled in price now but I would guess shipping has also.I feel certain you could find one around NYC or Jersey and would believe you can find them in the yellow pages in most larger cities.Steve

Leave a comment:

• bams50
    replied
    On Guido's suggestion I checked eBay for containers; there are plenty, like 40 footers from $1500 to $3500, and all over the country. Of course, that doesn't include transport...

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
    Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Leave a comment:

• Guido
    replied
    quote:Originally posted by gordr

Bob, I see empty cans going back all the time on the rail line near town here.
    Are they shipping containers or containers used for garbage transport? We see a lot of out of state garbage moved via rail in containers that look similar to the ones for sea.

Guido Salvage - "Where rust is beautiful" and real Studebaker horsepower lives

See pictures here: http://community.webshots.com/user/GuidoSalvage

Hiding and preserving Studebakers in Richmond, Goochland & Louisa, Va.

Leave a comment:

• gordr
    replied
    Bob, I see empty cans going back all the time on the rail line near town here.

Ships' fuel consumption has very little to do with the weight of the cargo. Anyway, if they don't carry a load back, they have to take on ballast, because they are designed to operate with X amount of the hull in the water. Too light, and they could come to grief in a storm.

I think the sea cans that are being sold off are old ones that are "miled out" or which no longer meet the specs for sea transport.

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Leave a comment:

• bams50
    replied
    Just looked at ABF. Their quote for a 20' unit from there to here is $3110.

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
    Parish, central NY 13131

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Leave a comment:

• Guido
    replied
    A friend of mine owns a upack franchise. It is set up for the do it yourself mover.

Sea containers are for sale all the time. Last time I checked, you can expect to pay $1400 - $1700 for a used 40' one, just a couple of hundred less for a 20' one. They can be found on e-Bay as well as Craigslist. It will take a Landoll trailer to move it.

I looked into buying one to store my horse drawn vehicles in. Actually 2 would be better, set them 16' apart and attach trusses to the top and wall in the space at the back and add doors to the front. Seems like a cheap way to make a storage building.

Guido Salvage - "Where rust is beautiful" and real Studebaker horsepower lives

See pictures here: http://community.webshots.com/user/GuidoSalvage

Hiding and preserving Studebakers in Richmond, Goochland & Louisa, Va.

Leave a comment:

• 63larkcustom
    replied
    This is the ABF website for upack shipping.
    http://www.upack.com/Default.asp?bhcp=1

Leave a comment:

• bams50
    replied
    Never heard of them, Kurtruk. Any other info?

Parish, central NY 13131

Leave a comment:

• BobGlasscock
    replied
    A ship loaded with empty cans would get less gas mileage than an empty one, so it just wouldn't pay to take empties back. Some certainly get back and forth, but there is still the trade deficit to deal with. An 'information segment' (I guess) during the Olympics on NBC covered the increasing cost of scrap metal to Chinese industry and how they can't afford it anymore. Really? Studebaker values just increased. They are also looking for cheaper labor in southeast Asia. Where have we seen this in the big picture before? Karma.

'50 Champion, 1 family owner

Leave a comment:

• kurtruk
    replied

Bams50: Have you looked into ABF? They drop a trailer, you load it, they pick it up and drive it to your destination. Becoming popular move yourself technique for folks moving around the country.

KURTRUK
    (read it backwards)

Leave a comment:

• StudeDave57
    replied
    quote:Originally posted by Dick Steinkamp

quote:Originally posted by StudeDave57
    They go back filled with all the scrap metal they can hold~ or some other useful raw material they can use to to make something for almost nothing...
    Have you actually seen this done? Dick
    Maybe I should have had the word "maybe" in front of that line? I'd think they must go back with some sort of raw material to make something out of, though. They can't ALL go back to Asia empty. The comment about scrap metal was just speculation.

StudeDave '57 [8D]

Leave a comment:

• Dick Steinkamp
    replied
    quote:Originally posted by StudeDave57
    They go back filled with all the scrap metal they can hold~ or some other useful raw material they can use to to make something for almost nothing...

In one of my life's I had a customer that was THE scrap steel shipper in the Bay Area. Two of their yards were located at San Francisco Bay ports. The ships would dock there and be filled by using huge magnets on cranes, dumping the scrap into the hold. They would actually put a small dozer in the hold to spread out the scrap.

Even at today's high scrap prices, I can't see rationalizing the labor needed to load ocean containers with something with that low of a value. Have you actually seen this done?

As long as I have been in logistics (20+ years), there has always been an imbalance in ocean containers with a lot of empties being returned to Asia. BTW, this "no revenue leg" is baked into the inbound transport for our imports.

Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

Leave a comment:

• StudeDave57
    replied
    quote:Originally posted by Dick Steinkamp

quote:Originally posted by N8N

yup, and from what I hear there's a glut of them because a lot of them are made in China to ship Chinese goods over here, and the Chinese can make a new one for less than the cost of shipping an empty one back.
    Sounds like an urban legend. The boat has to go back to China for more stuff for us no matter if we have exports for them or not. Seems like loading empty cans would be better than leaving them here. Dick Steinkamp

StudeDave '57 [8D]

Leave a comment:

• Dick Steinkamp
    replied
    quote:Originally posted by N8N

yup, and from what I hear there's a glut of them because a lot of them are made in China to ship Chinese goods over here, and the Chinese can make a new one for less than the cost of shipping an empty one back.
    Sounds like an urban legend. The boat has to go back to China for more stuff for us no matter if we have exports for them or not. Seems like loading empty cans would be better than leaving them here.

Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

Leave a comment:

Working...
X