How to move a lot of parts??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to move a lot of parts??

This is about the closing of C&B Studebakers in CA (see the other related threads here:

http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...TOPIC_ID=21490
    http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...TOPIC_ID=21511

I'm trying to work out a way to get more stuff from CA to NY. I thought about an out of work trucker hauling a load. One guy I know has a 53' box trailer as well. I figured around 6000 miles round-trip, 10 MPG equals 600 gallons. Figuring $5/gallon, that's 3 grand, not counting his cost No idea what he'd want, say a grand. That's 4 grand before Bob sells me anything, or anyone loads it[xx(] Maybe if it was a full load of NOS r2s or something[}]

Still... it's not my style to think something's impossible. So I'm wondering- anyone got any ideas? I've got acres of protected, licensed land here. I'm not trying to become a vendor, but a safe haven. I don't know what I'm trying to do- I just know there's a ton of really important parts that are on the verge of disappearing, never to be replaced again. There's gotta be a solution to that.

So I'm thinking brainstorm session. Realistically there's probably no way to make it work. But it's worth thinking about. I'm not going to get an ulcer from the stuff heading to the grave, but I'll do what I can to prevent that...

This may be just a dead-end discussion- a fun mental exercise; what do you think?

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
    Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"It was the last chance for Studebaker to turn things around. The company was down to its last bullet, and this new small car was it. They called it the Lark"

StudeDave is part owner of that bread truck. And he IS retired...

Matthew Burnette
    Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

Check into RAIL... maybe getting a trailer(tractor). filling it and loading it on a flatbed.

Ray

Specializing in Studebaker Restoration
      Ray

www.raylinrestoration.com
      Specializing in Studebaker Restoration

Comment

You might also look into actually shipping them. Years ago, I was surprised to find out it was cheaper to ship cars from the US to Europe than it was to truck them across the states!!! Just a thought...

http://community.webshots.com/user/s...host=community

Comment

quote:Originally posted by bams50

This is about the closing of C&B Studebakers in CA
          Keep in mind that Bob isn't CLOSING. He will be in biz for some time to come. He has an enclosed facility of maybe 2,000 sq ft or so in Hayward a few miles from his storage yard. He also can keep 5-6 cars in the shared parking lot. He can't keep a lot of sheet metal or frames or other big stuff there, however, and that's what needs to be cleared out of the storage yard he is loosing soon.

How about this idea...

Ian is coming over from Australia to go with Bob to Lancaster. At this point they are planning to drive Bob's pick up pulling a standard car trailer loaded with parts. I would think if Bob got a BIG order, he might be talked into renting a U-Haul truck (or two since Ian could also drive one). Maybe some sort of cost sharing on the trip would be possible. Bob is a good businessman...as you are bams...I'll bet you guys could work something out that is mutually beneficial.

Dick Steinkamp
          Bellingham, WA

Dick Steinkamp
          Bellingham, WA

Comment

Buy a used 53-foot Sea Can, stuff it full of parts, and ship that.

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands
            Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

quote:Originally posted by mbstude

StudeDave is part owner of that bread truck. And he IS retired...
              I'd ask if he was a tail gunner on that bread truck, but then I know he doesn't live in Detroit...

Bob, what about PODS. They advertise a lot. It may not hold a frame, but probably would hold just about anything else. I think their containers are 4X6

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              Tom - Mulberry, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2125.60)

Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
              1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

The PODS people here had many sizes of containers.Some may have been shipping cans but they offered up a 30 or 35 footer a couple years ago when we were flea marketing a lot.Price was very reasonable but they were delivering it and we would have rented it monthly rather than loading it and hauling it.Might be worth looking in to.Steve
                sigpic

Comment

Get on the horn to a west coast used car/truck dealer.
                  Using your connections (and license) as a car dealership
                  buy a 28 ft diesel straight truck at dealer auction.
                  Fill truck...if well packed they can hold a LOT of stuff.
                  Drive truck to east coast.
                  unload truck of parts,sell truck at auction,claim entire
                  operation as a business expense.

Mono mind in a stereo world

Comment

I used to deal with a guy that was in the Mercedes parts business. He would have a container of parts shipped from Europe direct to Los Angeles & was able to sell below wholesale & did a heck of a business. The container thing may be the way to go & either keep the container for storage or sell it when done.

60 Lark convertible
                    61 Champ
                    62 Daytona convertible
                    63 G.T. R-2,4 speed
                    63 Avanti (2)
                    66 Daytona Sport Sedan
                    59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
                    60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
                    61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
                    62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
                    62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
                    62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
                    63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
                    63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
                    64 Zip Van
                    66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
                    66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

BAM, I manage a transportation company. Just a few questions. Do you know aprox. weight for all of the goods? With the premise that you will be filling a 53 foot trailer. Also when the goods arrive at your place do you need cover for them, will they be sitting outside or you have indoor storage for them. What type of transit time are you looking for? slow or super slow? Will you be loading and unloading? Also please advise origin and destination zip codes and I will do my best to assist.

58 Packard Wgn (Parade Red)
                      58 Packard Wgn (Park Green)
                      58 Packard Sdn (Shadowtone Red)
                      62 Daytona (White)
                      63 R2 Lark (Super Red)
                      57 Packard Wagon parts car
                      57 Packard sedan parts car
                      58 Packard 2 dr hdtp parts car

Comment

You don't necessarily have to buy a container -they are usually provided and dropped on site for you to fill. Then they are picked up by truck and delivered to port for loading onto ship. Services like this are often used by people moving between the mainland and Hawaii.

http://community.webshots.com/user/s...host=community

Comment

Hey, this has been kind of fun...

A few answers:

Rail- haven't looked at that yet.

Shipping- too much labor individually shipping pieces

Dick S.- I know Bob isn't closing, but he IS going to be very limited for space. Schedule would be a question, since I wouldn't have money to put into a crazy idea like this before Lancaster

Sea Can- I assume that's one of those containers used on big ships? Cool idea, since the items would arrive with their own storage.

PODS- A great idea! Cost would be the key, but depending on the makeup of the load, might be feasible.

Bob40- I thought about that; but it would be tought to find a truck and put fuel in and make it feasible; that's why I thought it would have to be a bigger truck. You could carry a lot more in a 53 footer than a 28, for about the same fuel/time cost.

58- Great to know what you do! I haven't gotten anywhere near knowing what the specific makeup of a load would be yet, let alone guessing at weights. For storage, I have some inside and some out. Shipping time isn't an issue. For discussion I'm thinking Bob loads there and I unload here.

There are plenty of other hurdles, starting with what exactly would make up the load. Then there would be the issue of cost for the items, and if Bob would even want to mess with a scheme like this. I haven't talked to him about it, because at this point it's just an exercise. But what got me thinking is knowing that Bob is a businessman, but also a Stude guy. I'm betting he'd make a REALLY good package deal in the interest of saving the stuff from destruction.

Then comes the issue of what to do once the stuff got here... I'm not going to use all that stuff myself, so what would be the marketability of it? I'd put a lot of money and effort, and TIME into this; I'd have to think logically about how to disperse the stuff to those who need it, without losing my shirt. I've heard plenty about CASOs...

Great participation, all! Let's keep playing with the concept. Fun? Yes. Possible?

Anything's possible

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
                          Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"It was the last chance for Studebaker to turn things around. The company was down to its last bullet, and this new small car was it. They called it the Lark"

Comment

you could also look into the original PODS - a sea box. I wonder if it might not be cheaper to load up a sea box and have it shipped. I know that decomissioned ones are dirt cheap - we rent them for job site storage for something like $75/mo. according to one of the sprinkler guys. maybe you could have it shipped by rail or something - most any mode of transport is set up to handle them (container ship, semi truck, rail, etc.)

If you bought the box outright you could just have it delivered to your property and you wouldn't even have to unload it. I have no idea what that would cost however.

nate

--
                            55 Commander Starlight
                            http://members.cox.net/njnagel
                            --
                            55 Commander Starlight
                            http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

quote:Originally posted by bams50
                              so what would be the marketability of it? I'd put a lot of money and effort, and TIME into this; I'd have to think logically about how to disperse the stuff to those who need it, without losing my shirt. I've heard plenty about CASOs...
                              Probably not great, unfortunately. Peterson is having trouble putting a load together of presold stuff with FREE freight at pretty sharp prices. He's been advertising in TW for several months now.

I think CASO has something to do with it, but it could also be that there just aren't THAT many Studebakers undergoing the type of restoration that would require the owner to purchase nice, rust free parts.

At an International Meet, there are maybe 400 cars there? From the ones I've been to, I'd say half of them (maybe less) are actual concours restorations. The rest are nice, and fun to look at, but don't have the time and effort and skill level put into them that would require hunting down some good sheet metal to start with. So 200 cars that are done top notch. Maybe that's 1/4 of all the top notch Studebakers around. Maybe there are 1,000 total top notch Studes in existence? It that's the case, I'd say there are far less than that number of "top notch" cars under construction at any point in time. Maybe a couple of hundred. Of those, the smart builders have already started with a relatively straight and rust free example. Maybe 50-100 Studes being built that NEED nice, original rust free parts. That's all years, all models...trucks, cars. Not a big market.

Dick Steinkamp
                              Bellingham, WA

Dick Steinkamp
                              Bellingham, WA

Comment

Working...
                              X