No announcement yet.

How to move a lot of parts??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is the ABF website for upack shipping.
    http://www.upack.com/Default.asp?bhcp=1

Comment

A friend of mine owns a upack franchise. It is set up for the do it yourself mover.

Sea containers are for sale all the time. Last time I checked, you can expect to pay $1400 - $1700 for a used 40' one, just a couple of hundred less for a 20' one. They can be found on e-Bay as well as Craigslist. It will take a Landoll trailer to move it.

I looked into buying one to store my horse drawn vehicles in. Actually 2 would be better, set them 16' apart and attach trusses to the top and wall in the space at the back and add doors to the front. Seems like a cheap way to make a storage building.

Guido Salvage - "Where rust is beautiful" and real Studebaker horsepower lives

See pictures here: http://community.webshots.com/user/GuidoSalvage

Hiding and preserving Studebakers in Richmond, Goochland & Louisa, Va.
      Join me in removing narcissists, trolls, self annoited "experts" and general idiots via the Ignore button.

The official SDC Forum heel nipper ���

�Middle age is when your broad mind and narrow waist begin to change places.� E. Joseph Cossman

For every mile of road, there are 2 miles of ditch. ���

"All lies matter - fight the kleptocracy"

Comment

Just looked at ABF. Their quote for a 20' unit from there to here is $3110.

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
        Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

Bob, I see empty cans going back all the time on the rail line near town here.

Ships' fuel consumption has very little to do with the weight of the cargo. Anyway, if they don't carry a load back, they have to take on ballast, because they are designed to operate with X amount of the hull in the water. Too light, and they could come to grief in a storm.

I think the sea cans that are being sold off are old ones that are "miled out" or which no longer meet the specs for sea transport.

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands
          Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

quote:Originally posted by gordr

Bob, I see empty cans going back all the time on the rail line near town here.
            Are they shipping containers or containers used for garbage transport? We see a lot of out of state garbage moved via rail in containers that look similar to the ones for sea.

Guido Salvage - "Where rust is beautiful" and real Studebaker horsepower lives

See pictures here: http://community.webshots.com/user/GuidoSalvage

Hiding and preserving Studebakers in Richmond, Goochland & Louisa, Va.
            Join me in removing narcissists, trolls, self annoited "experts" and general idiots via the Ignore button.

The official SDC Forum heel nipper ���

�Middle age is when your broad mind and narrow waist begin to change places.� E. Joseph Cossman

For every mile of road, there are 2 miles of ditch. ���

"All lies matter - fight the kleptocracy"

Comment

On Guido's suggestion I checked eBay for containers; there are plenty, like 40 footers from $1500 to $3500, and all over the country. Of course, that doesn't include transport...

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
              Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

40' cans here are available for around 1500-2000 with free delivery within a 50 mile radius usually.When dad was still with us he sold classic motorcycles and parts to guys from England and Germany that would buy these "cans" and ship their stuff back in them.That was in the early 90's and they could buy one for less than return shipping then.They have about doubled in price now but I would guess shipping has also.I feel certain you could find one around NYC or Jersey and would believe you can find them in the yellow pages in most larger cities.Steve
                sigpic

Comment

To provide an example of a garbage train, and some of you will probably recognize it right away, this is a train with garbage cars:
                  In the days of old essentially they were modified boxcars for garbage shipments. According to this line, these cars are loaded with solid waste for garbage to energy power plants. Apparently they have come a ways as they do use intermodal equipment to haul trash:
                  These are the containers I'm thinking of. Far as I know when they travel odds are, something is in it:
                  I dunno how many of them are empty when shipped, but I know the product has been delivered(or awaiting to be received) when they look like this:
                  As far as what happens to the containers, well here they may end up getting used for something else, transport or none. I know a few of the guys I know that did just that, buy a couple of containers to use as a garage, sheds, or storing other materials. They also get stored in massive stacks in intermodal yards around the Chicago area. Take a walk through one of those, it's mindblowing the number of empty containers stacked like empty boxes, and somewhat freaky at the same time.

[img=left]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/My%201950%202r5%20Studebaker%20Pickup%20with%20turbocharger/P1000137-1.jpg[/img=left]
                  [img=right]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/DSC00005.jpg?t=1171153370[/img=right]
                  [IMG=left]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/Ex%20Studebaker%20Plant%20Locomotive/P1000578-1.jpg[/IMG=left]
                  1964 Studebaker Commander R2 clone
                  1963 Studebaker Daytona Hardtop with no engine or transmission
                  1950 Studebaker 2R5 w/170 six cylinder and 3spd OD
                  1955 Studebaker Commander Hardtop w/289 and 3spd OD and Megasquirt port fuel injection(among other things)

Comment

Working...
                  X