No announcement yet.

How to move a lot of parts??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I received a quote for 150 a ccab door plus 100 for a trunk lid.

Chop Stu
    61 Lark

sigpic

Comment

Dick, you also need to keep in mind that news parts are cheap and plentiful in many cases. Now if I have the extra cash right now, I'd see about a complete dog house for the Commander, but the sheetmetal for this is close to $500 for all new parts.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Tom - Mulberry, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2125.60)

Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
      1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

I like your thought, Bob, but I think that it would only make sense for someone in CA or close by, like in the NV desert. The transport cost to the east coast is too much (the same situation as for shipping low cost vehicles across the country).

Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

You're probably right, Dick. I don't see myself "vending", as in having a booth at shows, or advertising parts for sale; that's not realistic for me. I guess I'm thinking of being more like a clearing house- getting the stuff East in one shipment, for two reasons: To save stuff that has to move or die, and to do so more efficiently, therefore cheaper.

As I'm thinking and reading the comments, I'm starting to picture a different approach: going with a smaller container of some kind, like a POD. Maybe narrowing it to my main interest, which is Lark stuff; and supplementing it with a few of the more important pieces. Maybe someone out here would go in with me to get some stuff they want.

I talked to PODS today, and here's their info: You rent the container for a month, starting on the day they drop it at the location. Transit time from CA to NY is 9 days; that leaves 21 days to load, and unload at the end. Beyond that, you pay $199/month till it's ready for pickup. The container is 8' wide by 8' high by 16' long. Total cost: $4,205.28. And, they frown on engines, or anything with fluids.

That would hold a lot of stuff; but it would have to, to justify the cost. Clearly, the load would need to be mostly valuable things; my thought of that Daytona shell filled and surrounded by doors, etc. would be tough to justify, even if the stuff was free[xx(]

So I'm still thinking, and looking for ideas; in the meantime, everybody should be calling Bob for the FREE SHIPPING TO LANCASTER!!

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
          Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"It was the last chance for Studebaker to turn things around. The company was down to its last bullet, and this new small car was it. They called it the Lark"

Comment

quote:Originally posted by bams50

Total cost: $4,205.28. And, they frown on engines, or anything with fluids.
            [:0]

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            Tom - Mulberry, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2125.60)

Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
            1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

Regarding the container or Sea Cans(presuming thats one of many names on those things), thats the beauty of the intermodal system. The containers are standardized so they can be stacked and unloaded from the ship at an originating terminal, dropped onto a truck frame destined for the shipyard or a waiting intermodal railcar, transported to their destination, and then unloaded onto another ship or truck trailer frame that is in a distant terminal across the country. I know one of our club members had to ship two cars from S. Africa this way. They arrived at a Chicago terminal from a S. African terminal by boat. The hitch though is they had to go to the terminal to find and open the container to get their possessions out of it. They didn't ship directly to their house.

[img=left]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/My%201950%202r5%20Studebaker%20Pickup%20with%20turbocharger/P1000137-1.jpg[/img=left]
              [img=right]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/DSC00005.jpg?t=1171153370[/img=right]
              [IMG=left]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/Ex%20Studebaker%20Plant%20Locomotive/P1000578-1.jpg[/IMG=left]
              1964 Studebaker Commander R2 clone
              1963 Studebaker Daytona Hardtop with no engine or transmission
              1950 Studebaker 2R5 w/170 six cylinder and 3spd OD
              1955 Studebaker Commander Hardtop w/289 and 3spd OD and Megasquirt port fuel injection(among other things)

Comment

yup, and from what I hear there's a glut of them because a lot of them are made in China to ship Chinese goods over here, and the Chinese can make a new one for less than the cost of shipping an empty one back.

nate

--
                55 Commander Starlight
                http://members.cox.net/njnagel
                --
                55 Commander Starlight
                http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

Hmm.....

Anyone know how to find out about these cans and where they're available??

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
                  Parish, central NY 13131

"It was the last chance for Studebaker to turn things around. The company was down to its last bullet, and this new small car was it. They called it the Lark"

Comment

quote:Originally posted by N8N

yup, and from what I hear there's a glut of them because a lot of them are made in China to ship Chinese goods over here, and the Chinese can make a new one for less than the cost of shipping an empty one back.
                    Sounds like an urban legend. The boat has to go back to China for more stuff for us no matter if we have exports for them or not. Seems like loading empty cans would be better than leaving them here.

Dick Steinkamp
                    Bellingham, WA

Dick Steinkamp
                    Bellingham, WA

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Dick Steinkamp

quote:Originally posted by N8N

Sounds like an urban legend. The boat has to go back to China for more stuff for us no matter if we have exports for them or not. Seems like loading empty cans would be better than leaving them here. Dick Steinkamp
                      They go back filled with all the scrap metal they can hold~ or some other useful raw material they can use to to make something for almost nothing...

StudeDave '57 [8D]
                      StudeDave '57
                      US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
                      SDC Member since 1985

past President
                      Whatcom County Chapter SDC
                      San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
                      San Diego Chapter SDC
                      North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

quote:Originally posted by StudeDave57
                        They go back filled with all the scrap metal they can hold~ or some other useful raw material they can use to to make something for almost nothing...

In one of my life's I had a customer that was THE scrap steel shipper in the Bay Area. Two of their yards were located at San Francisco Bay ports. The ships would dock there and be filled by using huge magnets on cranes, dumping the scrap into the hold. They would actually put a small dozer in the hold to spread out the scrap.

Even at today's high scrap prices, I can't see rationalizing the labor needed to load ocean containers with something with that low of a value. Have you actually seen this done?

As long as I have been in logistics (20+ years), there has always been an imbalance in ocean containers with a lot of empties being returned to Asia. BTW, this "no revenue leg" is baked into the inbound transport for our imports.

Dick Steinkamp
                        Bellingham, WA

Dick Steinkamp
                        Bellingham, WA

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Dick Steinkamp

quote:Originally posted by StudeDave57
                          Have you actually seen this done? Dick
                          Maybe I should have had the word "maybe" in front of that line? I'd think they must go back with some sort of raw material to make something out of, though. They can't ALL go back to Asia empty. The comment about scrap metal was just speculation.

StudeDave '57 [8D]
                          StudeDave '57
                          US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
                          SDC Member since 1985

past President
                          Whatcom County Chapter SDC
                          San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
                          San Diego Chapter SDC
                          North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

Bams50: Have you looked into ABF? They drop a trailer, you load it, they pick it up and drive it to your destination. Becoming popular move yourself technique for folks moving around the country.

KURTRUK
                            (read it backwards)

KURTRUK
                            (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

A ship loaded with empty cans would get less gas mileage than an empty one, so it just wouldn't pay to take empties back. Some certainly get back and forth, but there is still the trade deficit to deal with. An 'information segment' (I guess) during the Olympics on NBC covered the increasing cost of scrap metal to Chinese industry and how they can't afford it anymore. Really? Studebaker values just increased. They are also looking for cheaper labor in southeast Asia. Where have we seen this in the big picture before? Karma.

'50 Champion, 1 family owner

Comment

Never heard of them, Kurtruk. Any other info?

Parish, central NY 13131

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

Working...
                                X