Wheel and tire options?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wheel and tire options?

I am still collecting parts for my build on my 53 coupe, and have some questions about wheels and tires. What are the largest tire sizes that will fit on the front and rear? What about rim widths and backspacing? I'm thinking 15 inch rims, but I want to lower the front end at least 2 inches, maybe 3. Also expect the rear to drop 1 to 2 inches. All comments are appreciated.

San antonio TX. 53 Champion Coupe, to be brought back from the dead.
    "Of course it will fit, I have a torch"

This has been discussed several times-you might search the archives. The bottom line is you can get some pretty meaty tires inside the wheel wells, especially in the back, but only with positive (or is it negative?..whichever puts more wheel toward the inside) backspacing, or a narrowed rear axle.

Steve Hudson
    The Dalles, Oregon
    1949 "GMOBaker" 1-T Dually (workhorse)
    1953 Commander Convertible (show & go)
    1953 Champion Starliner (custom/rod project)
    1954 Champion Coupe (daily driver)
    1960 Hawk (future project?)

Steve Hudson
    The Dalles, Oregon
    1949 \"GMOBaker\" 1-T Dually (workhorse)
    1953 Commander Convertible (show & go)
    1953 "Studacudallac" (project)

Comment

On my 53 I have run both 235R75-15 and 235R70-15. The 235R70 has a 9.5" section width and fits just right in terms of clearance to my spring and fender. I considered going to a 255R70-15 but the section width on those was a full 10 inches and I did not want to run them that close since I have my car sitting as low as possible with the edge of the fender lip just above the top of the wheel rim. I chose the 70 aspect ratio vs the 60 because I wanted a tall tire.

The tire in this picture is the 235R75. I can take one with the 70 series if someone wants to see. Now my rear end is an 8 inch Ford from a Maverick that is only 56.5" between wheel mounting surfaces. My springs are in the stock location. My wheels are 15x7 with standard offset. So with that informtion and the difference between the Studebaker rear end width which I believe is 58" you should be able to calculate what wheel offset you might need. Best thing to do though is measure it and make the determination for your particular car. Hope that helps

Pat Dilling
      Olivehurst, CA
      Custom '53 Starlight aka Stu Cool

Pat Dilling
      Olivehurst, CA
      Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

Pat, that's a gorgeous '53! Did you have it at the Vista Rod Run around 2000 or so? There was one very much like it at that show. I have pictures I can't find somewhere, but the car is burned into my memory

[img=left]http://members.cox.net/clarknovak/lark.gif[/img=left]

Clark in San Diego
        '63 F2/Lark Standard
        http://studeblogger.blogspot.com
        www.studebakersandiego.com

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

here's some previous threads

http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...TOPIC_ID=17287
          http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...?TOPIC_ID=9132

--
          55 Commander Starlight
          http://members.cox.net/njnagel
          --
          55 Commander Starlight

Comment

Thanks Clark, This one was not finished in 2000, or maybe just finished, and that was in Minnesota by Loren Roberts. I did not get it until Sep 2003. I have been "making it mine" ever since. Appreciate the compliment.

Pat

Pat Dilling
            Olivehurst, CA
            Custom '53 Starlight aka Stu Cool

Pat Dilling
            Olivehurst, CA
            Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

Thanks guys, I really appreciate the pictures. Both cars have the stance I'm looking for. Thanks for the links N8N, my search didn't turn up what I was looking for, those helped. I was hoping for 205 or 215's on the front, which appears to be OK. 235's on the back is OK, I may try to squeeze in 245's. Of course, the tighter the fit, the more precise I have to be on the offset. I have no original wheels to compute the original offset (also a chevy rear end I'm going to replace with a stude dana 44). Based on Pat's measurements, it appears the original offset would be +20 (20 mm positive offset) but a +20 on a 7 inch wheel would be a plus 45 on an 8 inch wheel to get the same backspacing. Hence my confusion. My biggest concern was the front. I was afraid of fender rubbing with a wide wheel and lowered stance. I now have a ballpark to work in.
              [Looks like the 20x10 chrome wheels on my wifes Jag are safe for the moment.]

Comment

Anybody know how Dodge Truck wheels relate to the Mopar Cop Car wheels? These are off of a 1/2 ton pickup.

Joe Roberts
                '61 R1 Champ
                '65 Cruiser
                Editor of "The Down Easterner"
                Eastern North Carolina Chapter
                Joe Roberts
                '61 R1 Champ
                '65 Cruiser
                Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

FWIW, a 8" rear (looks like the 9" only smaller) from a 70's ford maverick is about 1-1/2" narrower than the stude rear as measured from the wheel mounting surfaces. You do have to move the spring perches. I had to put in longer studs and run 5/8" thick spacers to use the 6" wide crown vic steel rims with 205-75R15's. (I don't have a monster motor so I am not worried about the spacers) The stock stude 5" rims fit OK but the wheels were too tucked under and looked wrong. The 6" rims are wider mostly to the outside so with the spacers and wider rims I got the stock fender spacing back pretty well.

Jeff in ND

'53 Champion Hardtop

Jeff in ND

Comment

oldguy, I have 245/60s on the back of my '55 C-body with the cop car wheels, and it looks like 255s would fit if you wanted to. Of course I would start worrying about the tapered axles if you get too much "stick" back there!

I've actually fitted the 245s on the front of my car in the process of troubleshooting a brake issue. Amazingly enough, they didn't hit anything, although I think I did have 1/4" spacers in there to keep the tires out of the tie rods.

I don't think you could physically fit a 15x8 on the front of a Stude C/K but you probably could on the rear, but you are correct, you'd want additional offset. +20 sounds about right for everything up to a 7" wheel. If you want to try to stuff the largest tires possible under the rear you will need to run different wheels front and rear, and more offset in the rear is better.

Being more of a "handling" guy than a "big and little" guy, I'm thinking when I get new tires I might just go for something like 235/60s all around.

nate

--
                    55 Commander Starlight
                    --
                    55 Commander Starlight

Comment

Not really fired up about big and little. 235's with TT should give me enough traction. But 235's in the front may be too much. I'm under the impression (which could be wrong) that wide tires in front require additional positive caster or it'll wander. So I'm thinking 205 x 65 in the front and 235 x 60 in the rear will have nearly identical diameter. But I'm not sure I can run both sizes on the same width rims. I believe I would drop the fronts to 185 (7.1 inches wide) if I could work out similar sidewall heights and get matching rims in different widths and offsets, without spending a fortune.
                      [We have 2 hot rods that handle much better with 7 in front tires than they did with 10's, but neither are studes. ]

Comment

quote:Originally posted by oldguy829
                        So I'm thinking 205 x 65 in the front and 235 x 60 in the rear will have nearly identical diameter.
                        Just my opinion, but the wheel wells in your coupe were made for some pretty tall sidewalls. IMHO, they look a little goofy with low profile tires. Too much air shows between the tire and the well.

For example, a 235 60 15 has a 141 mm sidewall height. A 235 75 has a 176 mm sidewall height. Same footprint on the ground, but the 75 series will fill up the wheel well better.

205 65 15's have a calculated diameter of 647 mm. 235 60 15's are 663 mm.

Dick Steinkamp
                        Bellingham, WA

Dick Steinkamp
                        Bellingham, WA

Comment

Was 1949 the first year for 5 on 4 3/4 inch bolt pattern ? How long did it continue ? Same size as Ford and Mopar ?

BRAD

Comment

quote:Originally posted by bradnree

Was 1949 the first year for 5 on 4 3/4 inch bolt pattern ? How long did it continue ? Same size as Ford and Mopar ?

BRAD
                            I don't know if '49 was the first year, but at least from '51 and up Studes are 4 1/2" and yes...they are the same as Ford and MoPar.

Dick Steinkamp
                            Bellingham, WA

Dick Steinkamp
                            Bellingham, WA

Comment

Good point Dick. Wheels/tires have to be proportioned to the car. IMO wheels also go a long way towards determining the "character" of the car. I haven't decided what's right for the Stude yet. Chrome smoothies say one thing, wire wheels says another. I've only seen 3 53/54 CK's in the last year ( in person), and they all had Cragar Street Stars?
                              Speaking of the tapered axels.............. I now have an LT1 (300 hp) and a 4L60E trans for my 53 coupe. I have a dana 44 with 331 gears that I figured to upgrade to TT, with maybe 355 gears. Any comments on this combination? Will the tapered axels hold up for moderate street use, but no racing?

Comment

Working...
                              X