• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JDP's ex-Lark?

Looks like it- is this it, John?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1963-...QQcmdZViewItem

I'd love to have it[][:X]

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
    Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"It was the last chance for Studebaker to turn things around. The company was down to its last bullet, and this new small car was it. They called it the Lark"

Nice car, fellas, but be aware that it is a Super Lark clone. It [u]was</u> built as described, an R2/4-speed with Twin Traction, but is 'way to early to be a full-package Super Lark. Engine number should be JTS1033.

When built, this car would not have had the front fender tags...and even if it was built later when it would have had fender tags, it didn't have all the equipment to be a full-package car, so it would not have had a grille badge as did Super Studebakers.

'Nothing wrong with any of this, you understand, but someone reading High-Performance Studebakers in the February 2009 Collectible Automobile would conclude this is a Super Lark because it has a grille badge...but it isn't. BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
    "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Bob, one of these days I'll have to look in the four or five places in this house that I have Stude stuff in, to find the sheet I had mentioned earlier that actually told dealers exactly where to drill holes in the front fenders to retrofit Avanti-powered cars with the badges ('63). Doesn't help you at all with your article, but it was one of those things, like Avanti upgrades, that told dealers to call their "R"-powered Lark and Hawk owners back in to have the "upgrade" (emblem) done if they wished.

Bill Pressler
      Kent, OH
      '63 Lark Daytona Skytop R1

quote:Originally posted by Bill Pressler

quote:Originally posted by BobPalma

Nice car, fellas, but be aware that it is a Super Lark clone. It [u]was</u> built as described, an R2/4-speed with Twin Traction, but is 'way to early to be a full-package Super Lark. Engine number should be JTS1033.

When built, this car would not have had the front fender tags...and even if it was built later when it would have had fender tags, it didn't have all the equipment to be a full-package car, so it would not have had a grille badge as did Super Studebakers.

'Nothing wrong with any of this, you understand, but someone reading High-Performance Studebakers in the February 2009 Collectible Automobile would conclude this is a Super Lark because it has a grille badge...but it isn't. BP
      Bill Pressler
      Kent, OH
      (formerly Greenville, PA)
      Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
      Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
      1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
      1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
      All are in Australia now

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Bill Pressler

Bob, one of these days I'll have to look in the four or five places in this house that I have Stude stuff in, to find the sheet I had mentioned earlier that actually told dealers exactly where to drill holes in the front fenders to retrofit Avanti-powered cars with the badges ('63). Doesn't help you at all with your article, but it was one of those things, like Avanti upgrades, that told dealers to call their "R"-powered Lark and Hawk owners back in to have the "upgrade" (emblem) done if they wished.

Bill Pressler
        Absolutely, Bill; many early 1963 JT cars were properly retrofitted with fender tags, per the company's instructions. My concern here was more with the Grille Badge denoting a genuine Super Lark.

(And here's an irony: The Studebaker Sales Letter announcing the 1963 fender tags says they will be "in the Avanti colors of red, white, and blue!" [:0] Really? 'Sounds more like 1964 oval tags to me!) BP
        We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
        "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

I never`thought adding a grill badge to a R2 Lark was cloning, it just looks cool. I never called it a SuperLark, it was too early.

Here's the`before pix

http://www.stude.com/5151/

and after

http://www.stude.com/5151/5151A/

Ignore` the later replaced 62 grill mesh

JDP/Maryland
          "I'm a great believer in luck and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it."
          Thomas Jefferson
          JDP Maryland

Comment

I think it may be, if I remember correctly that car was sold to an AMC enthusiast/drag racer, and it did have the long Hurst shift handle in it. If that's the same car, it also was originally a bench seat car IIRC but most would probably prefer buckets. I think but cannot confirm that it already had the emblems on it when JDP bought it.

nate

--
            55 Commander Starlight
            http://members.cox.net/njnagel
            --
            55 Commander Starlight
            http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

Yep, he broke a axle on his test drive and we had to push it into the AMC trailer.

JDP/Maryland
              "I'm a great believer in luck and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it."
              Thomas Jefferson
              JDP Maryland

Comment

Are package cars worth alot more then nonpackage cars?

Comment

quote:Originally posted by TMAN0950

Are package cars worth alot more then nonpackage cars?
                  Absoultely. If for no other reason than there are few of them. (JDP: All other factors equal, what premium would you assign a documented package car? 10%? 20%?) BP

Ayn Rand:

Comment

quote:Originally posted by N8N

If that's the same car, it also was originally a bench seat car IIRC but most would probably prefer buckets.
                    nate
                    I wondered about that, Nate. The records show it was built as a bench-seat car, but I didn't want to mention that. BP

Ayn Rand:

Comment

At least 20% premium for a full package. With 63V 5151, it's a moot point since it was to early for the package. I installed the buckets because I could find NOS bucket covers. I even had to modify a Cruiser rear cover for the car.

JDP/Maryland
                      Thomas Jefferson
                      JDP Maryland

Comment

Do you know what date they started making package cars?

Comment

quote:Originally posted by JDP

I never`thought adding a grill badge to a R2 Lark was cloning, it just looks cool. I never called it a SuperLark, it was too early.

Here's the`before pix

http://www.stude.com/5151/

and after

http://www.stude.com/5151/5151A/

Ignore` the later replaced 62 grill mesh

JDP/Maryland
                          Thomas Jefferson
                          John,

I got a virus/trojan alert from McAfee when I went to the "after" link. Thought you should know.

Pat

Pat Dilling
                          Olivehurst, CA
                          Custom '53 Starlight aka Stu Cool

Pat Dilling
                          Olivehurst, CA
                          Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

Thank,s,I'll check it.

JDP/Maryland
                            Thomas Jefferson
                            JDP Maryland

Comment

quote:Originally posted by TMAN0950

Do you know what date they started making package cars?
                              Sales Letter #148 to Studebaker dealers is dated March 19, 1963. It describes the new Super Studebaker "package cars" and says they "will begin to roll off the assembly lines about April 1..." (I hope there aren't any wags out there pointing to that as April Fools Day[:0], because that is the date given!) BP

Ayn Rand:

Comment

Working...
                              X