Bldg 72 Demolition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bldg 72 Demolition

Can any of our fine members living in the South Bend area confirm if demolition of Bdlg 72 has commenced? Any current photos?

It'd be neat of the gatehouse was saved. Heck, the gates too.

Matthew Burnette
    Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

It would be cool. Too bad the museum couldn't move it to their property. It WAS considered the main gate of the complex.

Comment

It would be cool. Too bad the museum couldn't move it to their property. It WAS considered the main gate of the complex.

Comment

Both buildings look like they could last another 300 years at least! They must have been built in the 1950's, they look "newer" than most. It really is too bad to see them go!

StudeRich
          Studebakers Northwest
          Ferndale, WA
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

You know, it's sad that people only seem to look at the negative side of things. Yes, Studebaker went out of business. Yes, a lot of people lost their jobs because of it. Nevertheless and however, they don't seem to recognize that the company provided work for a lot of people for over a hundred ten years. One would think that there would be some gratitude for that. And at that, the employment provided was far better than anyone else had in the business at the time.

Yes, it would be nice to save the gatehouse. The roof on the thing alone is worth a fortune. Those tiles are expensive. The chain-link gates are largely not worth the trouble, however, the wrought iron that's to the left in the picture might be worth some trouble.

Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
            K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
            Ron Smith
            Where the heck is Lewiston, CA?
            Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
            K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
            Ron Smith
            Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

Why are they going to demolish the South Bend Lathe building? Is there something waiting to go on that location that can't be put on some other empty location in South Bend? The times that I have seen that building, it looked to be in reasonably good shape and could be used by someone with minor revision/update. South Bend seems to be in a rush to tear down these buildings without anyone waiting in the wings for the space. About two weeks ago, a neat '60s building about two miles from me was demolished. At least there they have already started build on the replacement building.

Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
              Studebaker enthusiast much longer
              Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I see no reason why the gate building couldn't be saved and moved. That would be a VERY worthy chapter project. I'd love to have it in my backyard. It's probably more sound than my house!
                "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

Small fortune in bricks and other recyclables in that complex. I'd love to have enough of THOSE bricks to build a BBQ or brick walkway from.[V]

Miscreant Studebaker nut in California's central valley.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                  1960 Larkvertible V8
                  1958 Provincial wagon
                  1953 Commander coupe
                  1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

I was there last week Monday. Demolition had started - or was well underway - on a South Bend Lathe building just to the west (one block?) of SASCO. I don't know if it is the same as Building 72.

--george

1963 Lark Daytona HT - 63V J8 175

Comment

Response I received from SASCO
                      It was stated in the news some months back that the guard shack was going to be disassembled and removed and rebuilt at the entrance to the mano center that is going to build on the property ------------ Note: they also disassembled the guard shack next to the OLD N & A building that was supose to be rebuilt at the Studebaker Museum

dennis

Comment

quote:Originally posted by StudHawk60

Can any of our fine members living in the South Bend area confirm if demolition of Bldg.s 72 has commenced? Any current photos?

Comment

I'd like to see the guard shacks saved, they don't take up much room, and still pay homage to what was once there. The photo below I took about 10 years ago. I was standing right next to the guard shack in the above photo. This is the only picture I could find of the other guard shack. I assume this is the one destined for the museum? For those who don't know, this is the site of the new jail in South Bend, nothing in this picture is still there, even the traffic lights are gone. Does anybody else remember when railroad tracks crossed the street at this location? Also, note the large door on the right side of the building about half way up, this is where the overhead conveyer (sp?) was attached.

Comment

I took some pictures of my 64 by the gate during the spring swap because I heard it was going to be torn down soon, glad I did. Wish I had seen the inside.
                            John V.

Comment

I took some pictures of my 64 by the gate during the spring swap because I heard it was going to be torn down soon, glad I did. Wish I had seen the inside.
                              John V.

Comment

Working...
                              X